follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-02-2014, 12:10 AM   #15
Coreyviper

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Is the humming audible in the cab? Or only from the outside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coreyviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:18 AM   #16
dssence

Drives: Toyota FT/MT 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyviper View Post

On most vids i've seen humming was noticeable from the outside. Hope it's not from the cabin. I understand there's AC voltage outputting from the ballasts and that might be causing the high pitched humming. But that wouldn't be accepatable with high quality ballasts.
Like top of the line Audi cars do have xenon hids installed from factory and " I think " do not have any humm.
So at last which places should I check for HID kits? (for my Toyota 86 FT) www.diodedyanmics.com ? with kits which would just swap the bulb and replacing plug and play without any modification.
Again what's the maximum watts on the xeno hids ? 6000k means the output color spectrum right?
dssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:27 AM   #17
Coreyviper

Garage
I've only seen them with a maximum of 100 watts. Doesn't mean there aren't higher ones out there. Be careful though, because if you go too high, you're running the risk of melting and fire. 6000k is the color spectrum but anything higher and you start to lose good "seeing light"

Old 02-02-2014, 12:36 AM   #18
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

For me I hear it on the outside. Not audible in the cabin.
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:49 AM   #19
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssence View Post
When you talk about 6000k , 8000k it's just about the color of the xenons or the intensity in watts?
Please post pics of 12000W headlights!
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tromatic For This Useful Post:
DC2R (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 12:51 AM   #20
Coreyviper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
Please post pics of 12000W headlights!

Million candle power lights!

Old 02-02-2014, 01:09 AM   #21
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid...l#.Uu3e2n-9KK0

Most lumens you can get from these kits 4300k XB35 bulbs.. But the 5000k are almost as good. Again the XB35 bulbs..

The higher the kelvin the lower the lumen. Anything higher then 6000k and your just looking for looks, not proper lighting.. And my morimoto ballast don't make any noise, but I have came across a couple that do have a slight whine.. Nothing you could hear outside the car over the engine running..
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:29 AM   #22
dssence

Drives: Toyota FT/MT 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxersixxerman View Post
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid...l#.Uu3e2n-9KK0

Most lumens you can get from these kits 4300k XB35 bulbs.. But the 5000k are almost as good. Again the XB35 bulbs..

The higher the kelvin the lower the lumen. Anything higher then 6000k and your just looking for looks, not proper lighting.. And my morimoto ballast don't make any noise, but I have came across a couple that do have a slight whine.. Nothing you could hear outside the car over the engine running..
Hey are these morimoto plug n play for the scion FRS, well in my case Toyota FT 86?. Again now I got it right so 6000K it's the whitest in color spectrum and has highest distance and visibility also wide angle view?.
I think I'll get these ones. Should I get spare bulbs? (remember I live in argentina everything here it's complicated and a friends of mine wife is coming over in next couple months).
How do these morimoto compare to the ones from diode dynamics

http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/2...rsion-kit.html

I've seen in diode dynamics website there are 2 kits another one for Low beam so I guess the kits from morimoto are only for High beam. Could you post a video of the morimoto you got installed to see how they look ?
dssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:45 AM   #23
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
I've been trying to find some led headlights for high beams which could replace Xenon HIDS but even highest lumens from CREE leds don't achieve wide angle and distance like Xenons HID's do.
and i wouldn't recommend any led headlight bulbs anyways-- all of them have really poor output because led tech doesn't output the same type of light pattern as halogen or hid bulbs.

Quote:
So the point of the thread was.. taking into account there are cheapo xenon HIDS which i've seen lot's of vids those lights start doing a high pitch humming noise. Do all of the kits start to humm ? , some do offer AC ballast which say give more working hours on the bulbs, so other says the ballast are shock proof. how much is true and how much is false or myth about all that.
ac ballasts are better, but they normally cost more. most kits do hum a little, it's just part of their operation. 'shock proof' is a relative term. once the ballast is mounted to the car, how much shock does it really go through? probably about as much as the drink in the cupholder, which isn't much at all..

Quote:
That's my main concern. Something else do our FRS , in my case I do own a Toyota 86 FT cause i'm in argentina. Which is the base stock model from the US like the Scion FRS. going again to the question. Do xenon hids have High / Low beams or only HIGH BEAMS ?
if you have the same housings as the US scion, then you have separate high/low beams. the projector is only for low beam, and the reflector closer to the center of the car is the high beam.

Quote:
now going back to the purplish color of the beam I said before.. was cause I thought the purple tone regarding 12000k could give a wider view angle and more distance.. When you talk about 6000k , 8000k it's just about the color of the xenons or the intensity in watts?
Tnx
the 'k' value deals with the color of the light only. it is referencing the kelvin color scale.

just the first part of wikipedia covers that
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature"]Color temperature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

this is roughly what the different k-colors look like(roughly because this is a photo-chopped image to simulate the colors)

original image here

it is also important to reference the human eye color chart here-- during the day, the human eye is most sensitive to reds/yellows, and at night, that response shifts somewhat to green. at no point is blue a dominant color to the eye, so increasing the blue output of the headlights only makes it harder for you to see what the headlights are lighting up.

as far as wattage goes, i wouldn't get any kit over 35 watts. 50 watt and 100 watt kits trade a shortened bulb life for brighter output, and also put more light directly in front of the car, which decreases your night vision, and makes it harder for you to see objects just outside of the range of the headlights, which will make you feel better, but will make obstructions seem to pop out of nowhere much faster.
BabaYaga (01-29-2015), Coreyviper (02-02-2014), Gixxersixxerman (02-02-2014), Rio (02-02-2014), teamturbo (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 01:46 AM   #24
DC2R

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
any reason to get relay kit for this car? Is wiring suck like Honda's? pulling trigger on
http://www.xenonlightshid.com/
or
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZF4RAK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3GVO71WD MGEMM"]Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with "Slim" Digital Ballasts - H1 - 6000k - 2 Year Warranty : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]
leaning towards the first one due to lifetime warranty option for $100.
Opinions?
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:58 AM   #25
Gixxersixxerman

Quote:
Hey are these morimoto plug n play for the scion FRS, well in my case Toyota FT 86?. Again now I got it right so 6000K it's the whitest in color spectrum and has highest distance and visibility also wide angle view?.
I think I'll get these ones. Should I get spare bulbs? (remember I live in argentina everything here it's complicated and a friends of mine wife is coming over in next couple months).
How do these morimoto compare to the ones from diode dynamics

http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/2...rsion-kit.html

I've seen in diode dynamics website there are 2 kits another one for Low beam so I guess the kits from morimoto are only for High beam. Could you post a video of the morimoto you got installed to see how they look ?

That kit is a PnP for the highs, 4300 is suppose to be closest to "natural daylight" I prefer to run 5000k as I like a pure white light, 6000k starts to get a blue tinge.. Hid in high beam housings are not really recommended, as they take time to warm up, so your flash to pass or just flashing in general is useless, and some aftermarket kits can take 10 secs or more to warm up..

The diode dynamics are great also, I'm a supplier of both and you can't go wrong with either.. For the best light output a retrofit of a bi-xenon projector will give you the best results..

Something like this

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...-frs-2012.html

It will turn your regular projector in to one that had both high and low function.. Also remember running a hid bulb in a regular reflector housing like the high beam in our cars throws so much glare on the road in front of you that our eyes do not dialate enough to have proper night vision to see far away, so while it may have more light and everything is brighter, it doesn't mean you'll be able to see as good at far distances
The Following User Says Thank You to Gixxersixxerman For This Useful Post:
mrlewistan (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 02:05 AM   #26
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Drives: 2013 scion frs 001467
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
^^^ gixxer gave me advice when i was thinking about going hid. his advice is always good
mrlewistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:06 AM   #27
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Drives: 2013 scion frs 001467
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

only on the outside. and not too bad in open space. but impossible not to notice in small spaces like a garage
mrlewistan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrlewistan For This Useful Post:
Coreyviper (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 02:08 AM   #28
Gixxersixxerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post
any reason to get relay kit for this car? Is wiring suck like Honda's? pulling trigger on
http://www.xenonlightshid.com/
or
Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with "Slim" Digital Ballasts - H1 - 6000k - 2 Year Warranty : Amazon.com : Automotive
leaning towards the first one due to lifetime warranty option for $100.
Opinions?
First I can show you links in PM where you can get that kit for like 15$

Second, I always run HD relays.. I've personally never seen a issue running off the OEM wiring, but the added safety, cheap price and ease of install make it worth it..

But I wouldn't say you HAVE to have it, just highly recommend it