follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-21-2018, 01:34 AM   #1
Ahhdoom

Drives: FRSBRZ86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FRS/86/BRZ Project?

So I was in the market for obvious car but I am still unsure. The plan was to get a daily and replace the 01 accord though my dad and bros swayed me on getting a toy and keeping the accord as a daily or buy a cheap 2k car.

I'm not sure if I want the BRZ/FRS/86 as a daily now either because they all have told me RWD manual is no good in snow/rain and is gonna be a train wreck when Ohio starts snowing.

So should I make it my toy car by getting a cheap base frs model version?
Or keep the idea of reliable and perks on a 2014+ mono/limited/86?

If I do make it a toy, I'm thinking of turbo or supercharger then tune it and slap on a rocket bunny. Not tryna beat anyone in a race but I would like to make it more eye candy for myself and have a nice kick when i pedal to the metal.

I am very stuck on getting and FRS/BRZ/86 but my dad wants me to get like an 07 vette as a toy because both my bros have 2007 c6 and a 2016 c7. we just got my dad like a late 19's vette that he use to have but that is a surprise.

I just need the forums 2 cents on what I should do. Because I keep going back and forth on the idea.

Also got to have this [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbHIX_AsLBI"]BRZ[/ame] on our garage lift and was upset with how it currently is. Paint is cracking, side skirt missing, front bumper not properly attached, catch can just dangling inside, one of the turbo is spitting liquid. Just all kinds of headache. Owner was asking 16.5. He didn't even have the audacity to put air in one of the tires, we went and jacked it up + put on a spare to get it to the garage to lift it up for inspection. Oh and all 4 tires are F**ked up from burnouts. Super upset that it was not kept in mint condition.
Ahhdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:35 AM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Welcome.
Here's the deal, its all how much you want to spend. With out a budget we can play the guessing game all day long.

As for driving in the rain and snow on a RWD car, it all comes down to driver skill and common logic. Proper snow tires and not driving like speed freak when it's raining, you'll be fine.

Now, I don't want to be a ****, as soon as you mention rocket bunny and Turbo you lost me.
I would go with you brother and father on this one. Get a vett, more power, better handling, just an overall better toy.

Then again all depends how much you want to spend.
If you want cheap toy, get a Miata if you want it for performance. If you want just a toy to parkhard, get a Civic.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #3
Ahhdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Welcome.
Here's the deal, its all how much you want to spend. With out a budget we can play the guessing game all day long.

As for driving in the rain and snow on a RWD car, it all comes down to driver skill and common logic. Proper snow tires and not driving like speed freak when it's raining, you'll be fine.

Now, I don't want to be a ****, as soon as you mention rocket bunny and Turbo you lost me.
I would go with you brother and father on this one. Get a vett, more power, better handling, just an overall better toy.

Then again all depends how much you want to spend.
If you want cheap toy, get a Miata if you want it for performance. If you want just a toy to parkhard, get a Civic.
No worries man constructive criticism and you are right. I see where your going at. If I do get a toy I should just go with the vette.

Now budget wise I don't wanna go over 18k on the car alone. If I did add stuff it would be throughout the years.

Now I saw you mention you didn't like the bunny nor turbo. Any reason? Curious because your signature says you daily a BRZ premium. If I made it my daily I don't think I would add much to it to be honest. tires, suspension, brakes small stuff. I'll only do it if it isn't gonna be my daily but i'm leaning on getting just a daily and replacing accord.

With a toy id have to mess with two insurance and other maintenance etc etc. To much maybe.

Last edited by Ahhdoom; 12-21-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:44 PM   #4
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You lose people with the rocket bunny / turbo talk because of multiple reasons.

It seems like a lot of people pick it up and go down that route before even enjoying the car as it sits. They're slow, but they're enjoyable and look nice.

I've seen multiple rocket bunny cars, and there are many issues.... most of them running around are reps, done in a not so great fashion. When you look at pics on here you'll always see fitment issues, people not following through with proper fender lining or just plain destroying fenders and just ruining their cars. Some are done well, but a lot of them....gross. Also, really played out (IMO).

Then you have the whole turbo issue. Some people think this car is fast enough for them....they don't see why anyone would want to jump directly in to talking about a turbo kit. A lot of people seem to think everyone tracks their car and only think a turbo kit needs to be installed after you've maxed out the car on the track and maxed out your driving capability. Its a can of worms on this forum. The FA20 is not the most bulletproof motor either, but there are a lot of correctly done builds running around without issues. Who knows.... it is nice to have a car grow with you though instead of planning out extreme mods before owning the thing.

Having owned a Z06 and a BRZ actually back to back..... just.... don't go with a twin. If you have family that are supporting you in any way (sounds like it) and you can swing it....get a corvette. It does 100% what a decently modified twin will do and it will do it better with more room to grow reliably.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (11-01-2019)
Old 12-21-2018, 12:46 PM   #5
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
If you are going for a C6 I would go for 08' and up as they come with the better engine and most problems fixed.

If you are the rocket bunny type please stay away from corvettes and rice something else
Old 12-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
If you are going for a C6 I would go for 08' and up as they come with the better engine and most problems fixed.

If you are the rocket bunny type please stay away from corvettes and rice something else
Luckily there aren't a ton of ugly / cheap widebody kits for the corvette, and turbos are always a good mod.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #7
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahhdoom View Post
So I was in the market for obvious car but I am still unsure. The plan was to get a daily and replace the 01 accord though my dad and bros swayed me on getting a toy and keeping the accord as a daily or buy a cheap 2k car.

I'm not sure if I want the BRZ/FRS/86 as a daily now either because they all have told me RWD manual is no good in snow/rain and is gonna be a train wreck when Ohio starts snowing.

So should I make it my toy car by getting a cheap base frs model version?
Or keep the idea of reliable and perks on a 2014+ mono/limited/86?

If I do make it a toy, I'm thinking of turbo or supercharger then tune it and slap on a rocket bunny. Not tryna beat anyone in a race but I would like to make it more eye candy for myself and have a nice kick when i pedal to the metal.

I am very stuck on getting and FRS/BRZ/86 but my dad wants me to get like an 07 vette as a toy because both my bros have 2007 c6 and a 2016 c7. we just got my dad like a late 19's vette that he use to have but that is a surprise.

I just need the forums 2 cents on what I should do. Because I keep going back and forth on the idea.

Also got to have this
on our garage lift and was upset with how it currently is. Paint is cracking, side skirt missing, front bumper not properly attached, catch can just dangling inside, one of the turbo is spitting liquid. Just all kinds of headache. Owner was asking 16.5. He didn't even have the audacity to put air in one of the tires, we went and jacked it up + put on a spare to get it to the garage to lift it up for inspection. Oh and all 4 tires are F**ked up from burnouts. Super upset that it was not kept in mint condition.
Snow driving is limited to the rubber you have on your tires. Nothing more.

I'd rather have snow tires and rear wheel drive than all seasons and all wheel drive.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Luckily there aren't a ton of ugly / cheap widebody kits for the corvette, and turbos are always a good mod.

Not sure where you were going with the comment but there is the Grand Sport or Z06 is you want a widebody C6 corvette.

Turbos are always a good mod. Widebody FRS/BRZ is legit with wide wheels ect if it has the power to back it. Problem is most do the wide stuff without the power. There is guy on youtube Devin something with widebody but still stock power last time I checked.

Looks fast, but not fast
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
Not sure where you were going with the comment but there is the Grand Sport or Z06 is you want a widebody C6 corvette.

Turbos are always a good mod. Widebody FRS/BRZ is legit with wide wheels ect if it has the power to back it. Problem is most do the wide stuff without the power. There is guy on youtube Devin something with widebody but still stock power last time I checked.

Looks fast, but not fast
I mean there are not a ton of options to do a cheap wide body on corvettes..... and turbos are always good. Not sure where you didnt see where I was going....

A lot of people do widebodys and no power mods on this car. There are Instagram posters left and right. Some red one with a knock off kit that's not painted keeps coming on this forum too. All you need is Instagram fame, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #10
Ahhdoom

Quote:

It seems like a lot of people pick it up and go down that route before even enjoying the car as it sits. They're slow, but they're enjoyable and look nice.

I've seen multiple rocket bunny cars, and there are many issues.... most of them running around are reps, done in a not so great fashion. When you look at pics on here you'll always see fitment issues, people not following through with proper fender lining or just plain destroying fenders and just ruining their cars. Some are done well, but a lot of them....gross. Also, really played out (IMO).

Then you have the whole turbo issue. Some people think this car is fast enough for them....they don't see why anyone would want to jump directly in to talking about a turbo kit. A lot of people seem to think everyone tracks their car and only think a turbo kit needs to be installed after you've maxed out the car on the track and maxed out your driving capability. Its a can of worms on this forum. The FA20 is not the most bulletproof motor either, but there are a lot of correctly done builds running around without issues. Who knows.... it is nice to have a car grow with you though instead of planning out extreme mods before owning the thing.

Having owned a Z06 and a BRZ actually back to back..... just.... don't go with a twin. If you have family that are supporting you in any way (sounds like it) and you can swing it....get a corvette. It does 100% what a decently modified twin will do and it will do it better with more room to grow reliably.
I 100% agree with you. The only reason why I was thinking about mods is because my bros loved the twin turbo brz we inspected.

I overall LOVE the aesthics of the BRZ/86/FRS my inital plan was to get a limited/monogram/86 as a daily and drive around. If I really wanted speed I own a ninja 650 already which I take out during summer times 24/7. I only thought about the mods for the fact that it MIGHT not be my daily because my family swears its not good to drive RWD in snow and that if i get something like that it should be a toy. Thus why i posted about the vettes.

If i end up going the route of replacing my daily i think ill grab a new trim of the brz or 86. Not gonna mod it and keep it stock for most part. No body either cause I overall love the look anyways.

I don't think getting a toy right now will be better for me. I already hate my accord so just thinking about riding it makes me barf haha. The toy would also only be driven on good weather but by that time id take the bike out because im ultimately a motorcycle guy.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:07 PM   #11
coryandy

Drives: '14 SSM BRZ Premium
Garage
People have driven in the winter with RWD longer than any other drive. How did they do it without killing themselves!? They learned how to drive RWD, and they put on snow tires. If conditions are bad enough that you actually can't go (like, deep snow or ice) in a twin, then you probably shouldn't be out anyway. Here's a video from EveryDay Driver that may give you some insight about it. My personal opinion is, go for it. Keep your car NA for a while and learn to do what it was meant for. Just be sure to practice that snow driving so you know how your car will handle in a pinch.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKBdOE2z4O4[/ame]
korhun (11-01-2019), ROFL it's Waffle (10-28-2019)
Old 12-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #12
Ahhdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryandy View Post
People have driven in the winter with RWD longer than any other drive. How did they do it without killing themselves!? They learned how to drive RWD, and they put on snow tires. If conditions are bad enough that you actually can't go (like, deep snow or ice) in a twin, then you probably shouldn't be out anyway. Here's a video from EveryDay Driver that may give you some insight about it. My personal opinion is, go for it. Keep your car NA for a while and learn to do what it was meant for. Just be sure to practice that snow driving so you know how your car will handle in a pinch.

I have seen that video. I was looking and watching people drive RWD in snow. Im pretty confident in the BRZ with a pair of good snow tires. I think I'll stick with switching my daily and getting the BRZ still.

Now just gotta find a good deal..
Old 10-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #13
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

My personal preference is a body kit that doesn't look "bolted/riveted on," but to each their own. My favorite types of mods support longevity and drivability, only then do supporting visual mods come into play (if your hatchback Civic is converted to rear-wheel drive, then a rear spoiler is okay in my book). Look the part, be the part.
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:23 AM   #14
falcon_wizard

Drives: BRZ 2013
For what it’s worth, I am had my BRZ as a daily driver all year round for 7 years and drive it all winter up here in eastern Canada, where we get lots of snow and ice. All you need is good winter tires and know how to drive. I actually enjoy driving it in the winter. The car is very balanced and as such it actually handles quite well in the snow with proper tires. I use Nokian Hakkapellita, preferably the studded ones if your laws allow it.

A stock twin isn’t that fast but its a lot of fun as is. I did add a turbo on mine after owning it for 4 years. The added power is fun, but it’s not necessary to enjoy the car. Just my 2 cents... I would recommend anyone to drive and enjoy it stock for a while before making any major mods to it... it’s a nice fun car that is surprisingly practical as an everyday driver and inexpensive to maintain if kept stock. Modded cars can costs as much as one will allow and beyond... If you haven’t driven one yet, I’d suggest to try it and then decide... the twin is about the connected driving experience more than specs on paper and bragging rights...

Whatever you decide, don’t look back and enjoy driving! Life is meant to be enjoyed and not worth worried too much over...!
falcon_wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to falcon_wizard For This Useful Post:
korhun (11-01-2019)