follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2019, 04:18 AM   #1
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Really weird things that happen on the road.

I was at the intersection of botany road and foreshore road where there are a lot of container trucks.
One stopped at the red light and then drove forward when the light turned green,but somehow the four rear trailer wheels and axle stayed behind and the container+trailer dropped onto the road.
It was lucky that this was not at 80kph in the airport tunnel ahead.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:53 AM   #2
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Yeap, anywhere near the docks is pretty loose for trucks.

Poorly kept trucks and drivers on drugs.

A semi rolled near there yesterday morning, cops did him for Ice, fucking idiot.

My all-time favorite was just before the airport tunnel, a dump truck came screaming past, with the bin UP, I slowed down a watched it hit the tunnel entry at about 100, I managed to get into the right lane and took the Bexley exit.

Alot of truck drivers around Sydney are loose cannons.

Most of the trucks are old junk as well.

I haven't seen a inspection station set up around the port for ages, the truck companies complained that they were harassing their drivers, had nothing to do with trucks without working lights, bald tyres or speeding, oh wait, yes it did.

I would assume bribes were adequate to stop the inspections and fines.

If our local council is good at one thing, that one thing is corruption.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I drove through an accident scene once where a pickup truck's toolbox had been thrown from the bed and strewn tools all over the road. I was driving at about 9:30 at night, see the accident ahead and then suddenly I'm running over what sounded like hammers and wrenches. A 2-foot long chisel stuck itself through the body and put an inch-wide hole there. I pulled over, yanked it out and just shook it, cursing at the guy who wrecked, then got back in and left.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Driving home a little after dark and saw the people in front of me making wild moves. Four lane intersection and a brand new step ladder in the road. put on my flashers got out put it in the back of my truck and waited for someone to come looking for it. No show, figured company ladder will find a name on it in the morning, so new it had the stickers still on it and no name. twelve foot commercial ladder. Still waiting for some one to claim it. (works well)
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:21 PM   #5
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
One of those gardening trucks with the open back where they place lawn mowers and stuff. They had supplies for putting up some gutters. An 8 foot piece of gutter fell out. I drove up next to them on the highway trying to tell them, but they looked at me like i was crazy or maybe they didn't speak English...
Old 07-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #6
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
4.5 hour road trip. TWO very close calls with deer. These cars handle GREAT, thank the Lord. Always keep the Mark IV Eyeballs peeled for those huge tick-infested mammalian rats.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:09 AM   #7
alan.chalkley

I drove past the same spot and another traffic jam , this time it was the inspectors pulling over trucks and checking their wheels and axles.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #8
alan.chalkley

When i was riding my bicycle , a ute sped past , with the driver yelling f!@#$%^ i*&^% at me and a nice new shifting spanner fell off the tray.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:22 AM   #9
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,935 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
Driving home a little after dark and saw the people in front of me making wild moves. Four lane intersection and a brand new step ladder in the road. put on my flashers got out put it in the back of my truck and waited for someone to come looking for it. No show, figured company ladder will find a name on it in the morning, so new it had the stickers still on it and no name. twelve foot commercial ladder. Still waiting for some one to claim it. (works well)
Very similar to one of my favorite stories about my Father.

My Dad owned a small roofing company.

One day downtown we were following two vehicles behind a truck (not one of his) that had an extension ladder hanging out of the back with the tailgate down. The truck turned, the ladder exited the vehicle, the truck kept going.

One of the vehicles in front of us stopped, so we stopped. The guy in front (also in a truck, also not my Dad's) got out, picked the ladder up and started to put it in the back of his truck.

My Dad walked up to him, grabbed the ladder out of his hands and said "Thanks for picking that up. I don't know how many times I've told that GD idiot to tie the ladder down. He's going to be looking for a new job tomorrow". He then loaded the ladder in our truck and drove off.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Boomerang (08-02-2019), Impureclient (08-02-2019), Rogues Gambit (08-05-2019), Spuds (10-13-2019), why? (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 08:11 AM   #10
korhun
Database error

Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
More than 20 years ago. One of my first driving experiences on the country roads. It was very late at night, probably after 24:00. I was driving on a highway and made a turn. I thought it was a highway too. There were no lights, it was very dark. After about half a mile, suddenly the tarmac finished and I was on an off-road surface. There were no signs for that. I was barely able to stop the car. Very scared. Turn back and try to find another way for my direction. Entered a very dark road. There were only 2 lanes, forward and backward. I don't remember a single car coming or going on that road. I was seeking for a sign to understand if I was in the correct direction. Half an hour later, I saw a big, 2 stair, silver bus parked right in the in the middle of the forward lane. No lights, no one around. I passed it. I was expecting a busy road for my direction, but there were no cars around and no signs to show me where I was. So I decided to turn back. After a while I saw a car's lights on my mirror. It was very close to my car. I was surprised how I couldn't realized before it came so close. After a while, there was no car behind. I don't have an idea where it go. It was spooky
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to korhun For This Useful Post:
Boomerang (08-02-2019), Spuds (10-13-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 07:09 AM   #11
Boomerang

Drives: 2015 Toyota GT86 MT UEL E85 RSR CWP
Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,166 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Late at night on a two lane highway doing 110kph on cruise when a car comes from nowhere behind me and proceeds to sit right up my tail. Can overtake me anytime as the road is two lanes. Got sick of the tailgating after 5 mins and turned on the rear fog light in the 86 Heavy braking behind me then a minute later the car speeds past me, merges in front and slows to 60kmh? Overtook the car to see an older gentleman with hands white knuckled on the steering wheel and face pressed up against the windshield. Weird..
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boomerang For This Useful Post:
korhun (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 07:43 AM   #12
korhun
Database error

Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Late at night on a two lane highway doing 110kph on cruise when a car comes from nowhere behind me and proceeds to sit right up my tail. Can overtake me anytime as the road is two lanes. Got sick of the tailgating after 5 mins and turned on the rear fog light in the 86 Heavy braking behind me then a minute later the car speeds past me, merges in front and slows to 60kmh? Overtook the car to see an older gentleman with hands white knuckled on the steering wheel and face pressed up against the windshield. Weird..
Reminded me this movie
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067023/
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to korhun For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #13
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

On a recent family road trip in our Suburban we were driving along at just above the posted speed of 70 in the right lane. A tractor-trailer was in the left lane basically pacing us, but we were in relatively heavy traffic so there was no real place to go.

A Lexus with New York license plates kept zooming up on the truck, then backing off, changing lanes and zooming up on our car, obviously trying to get around the two of us. Normally I would slow down or speed up enough for him to get around but there really was no place for him to go.

After about 5 minutes of this he backs off then speeds up and passes me at what was probably 90 miles an hour on the right shoulder. He then proceeds to pass about 5 other "pairs" in front of us the same way and disappears into the distance.

Well enough I thought (and where's a cop when you need him). Then, about 15 miles later, we come up on the same car now doing exactly the speed limit in the right lane and everyone he passed is now passing him!

Last edited by Dadhawk; 08-02-2019 at 10:52 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
korhun (08-02-2019), Spuds (10-13-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 07:53 AM   #14
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by korhun View Post
I love that movie!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
korhun (08-02-2019), Tcoat (08-02-2019)