follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
drz400dude

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Oil sandwich plate w/ ports for oil cooler and sensors

I'm sure someone has posted about this but the search function isn't working on mobile. I'm looking for a sandwich plate that has ports for my oil cooler and ports for my oil temp sensor. I couldn't find one specifically for the FRS.
Any leads are appreciated. Thanks.
drz400dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
Hags86

Drives: Toyota GTS 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Mishimoto make one for their kit (I have one) and they sell the sandwich plates separately but I don't know which one of the various plates they make fit the FT86.

It has a nice drip tray so you can remove the filter and not spill oil everywhere.

There are two 1/8 NPT sensor plugs but they are very close to the oil filler cap. I could get a temp sensor in one hole and there is no way you could use the second sensor plug. I seriously doubt you coud get a pressure sensor in either as a pressure sensor is bigger than a temp sensor.
Hags86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hags86 For This Useful Post:
drz400dude (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
drz400dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hags86 View Post
Mishimoto make one for their kit (I have one) and they sell the sandwich plates separately but I don't know which one of the various plates they make fit the FT86.

It has a nice drip tray so you can remove the filter and not spill oil everywhere.

There are two 1/8 NPT sensor plugs but they are very close to the oil filler cap. I could get a temp sensor in one hole and there is no way you could use the second sensor plug. I seriously doubt you coud get a pressure sensor in either as a pressure sensor is bigger than a temp sensor.
I see the one that comes with the kit, but do they sell it separately? I don't see it on their website.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:27 PM   #4
muckypuppy

Drives: MY13 SWP BRZ Cosworth 2.3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
TRD make a sandwich plate that allows you to run sensors for oil pressure and temp side by side for adequate clearance. You can use a Mocal thermostat on top for your oil cooler.
muckypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to muckypuppy For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 11:40 PM   #5
drz400dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckypuppy View Post
TRD make a sandwich plate that allows you to run sensors for oil pressure and temp side by side for adequate clearance. You can use a Mocal thermostat on top for your oil cooler.
I need to sandwich plate to have -10AN ports to feed oil to and from the cooler.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:20 AM   #6
Hags86

Drives: Toyota GTS 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz400dude View Post
I see the one that comes with the kit, but do they sell it separately? I don't see it on their website.
They sell a bunch of sandwich plates separately but I don't know which one suits the 86 - though they definitely have one. Maybe email Mishimoto and ask.
Hags86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:32 AM   #7
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
I need to sandwich plate to have -10AN ports to feed oil to and from the cooler.
I don't think you can get all of that to fit on the same plane. It's pretty snug in there. That's why muckypuppy mentioned the trd adapter. The mocal kit comes with an adapter to raise it up about an inch so it clears the spill tray for the filter. You buy the mocal plate by itself and then use the TRD adapter to raise it.

There are other options. You can install your temp sensor in the front oil galley plug, or use an inline adapter. If you tell us what kind of sensor you have, I could show you more specifically what I mean. -10AN is pretty much the standard.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #8
Harlock

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Garage
racerX fabrication offers just the plate.
Harlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harlock For This Useful Post:
drz400dude (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #9
drz400dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I don't think you can get all of that to fit on the same plane. It's pretty snug in there. That's why muckypuppy mentioned the trd adapter. The mocal kit comes with an adapter to raise it up about an inch so it clears the spill tray for the filter. You buy the mocal plate by itself and then use the TRD adapter to raise it.

There are other options. You can install your temp sensor in the front oil galley plug, or use an inline adapter. If you tell us what kind of sensor you have, I could show you more specifically what I mean. -10AN is pretty much the standard.
I have an innovate mtx-d guage, both oil pressure and temp, and a perrin oil cooler.

Before I bought the cooler I had a blitz sandwich plate for the gauge that worked fine.

I thought about hooking up the pressure gauge in the front where the factory one goes, but I don't want it to trip the CEL or disable any engine safety features.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #10
drz400dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlock View Post
racerX fabrication offers just the plate.
I looked up the plate but it doesn't seem to have ports for gauges?

The mishimoto one that comes with their oil cooler kit look perfect, i just didn't see it for sale by itself.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #11
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I have an innovate mtx-d guage, both oil pressure and temp, and a perrin oil cooler.

Before I bought the cooler I had a blitz sandwich plate for the gauge that worked fine.

I thought about hooking up the pressure gauge in the front where the factory one goes, but I don't want it to trip the CEL or disable any engine safety features.
Disconnecting the factory oil pressure switch isn't a problem. It's strictly for the idiot light. No CEL, no other functions.

The real problem is that the factory switch has a 1/8 BSPT (British Standard Pipe Taper) which looks close but is not the same as the 1/8 NPT (National Pipe Taper) The Innovate sensors have NPT threads.

Is this your Blitz plate? You could just stack this Mocal plate on top of it but that gets pretty kludgey. I got this specific one and am very happy with it. You'll see it comes with a spacer. You can get it without the spacer. If you go with the Mocal, make sure you get the 1/2" BSPP x -10AN fittings. BSPP=British Standard Pipe Parallel.

Not trying to sell you on it. Just discussing. Questions?
Old 08-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #12
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Disconnecting the factory oil pressure switch isn't a problem. It's strictly for the idiot light. No CEL, no other functions.

The real problem is that the factory switch has a 1/8 BSPT (British Standard Pipe Taper) which looks close but is not the same as the 1/8 NPT (National Pipe Taper) The Innovate sensors have NPT threads.
Good info! Is it possible to use a BSPT-to-NPT adaptor and use the stock location, or is the clearance too tight or something?
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #13
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
Good info! Is it possible to use a BSPT-to-NPT adaptor and use the stock location, or is the clearance too tight or something?
An adapter can be used as long as the temp probe isn't too long.

As long as we're on the subject, I'll mention for casual readers that the device right next to the factory pressure switch is the factory oil temp sensor. Many of us just have a pressure gauge and use an OBD-II bluetooth adapter to get oil temp straight from the ECU.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #14
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Back in the day, I had a Robispec oil cooler and that sandwich plate had the gauge ports (it's not for sale anymore).

I would call Mishimoto and ask for that particular sandwich plate, I'm sure they would sell it by itself.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote