follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #43
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Drives: U Mad?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
So PAI, what I'm getting from your posts is that your sources are telling you that there will be a "true" STi version released shortly after the standard model?

Seems like the agreement is for no mid-grade WRX like model for BRZ, only a STI variant as to not take sales from FRS and "BRZ" well optioned models.

There was talk about a stroked mill with slightly different pistons, airbox, cam profiles, exhaust system and ecu tuning on the existing mill(think about the recent review saying 240hp/200tq@7k, that would be it, they were told vaguely but they confused it in the article saying #s were for normal BRZ when it wasn't).

Q1 2013 is the target. This date is too far away for STI variant it could only mean they are waiting for new gen mill to pass tests(which should of been done 2 months ago) and scrap the bigger tuned N/A idea, but being very tight lipped. They also are faced with knowing 31+k is turbo 4 or 6cyl territory for Japanese sports cars and anything less would be a tough sell in their upcoming line up.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #44
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAImportTuner View Post
Seems like the agreement is for no mid-grade WRX like model for BRZ, only a STI variant as to not take sales from FRS and "BRZ" well optioned models.

There was talk about a stroked mill with slightly different pistons, airbox, cam profiles, exhaust system and ecu tuning on the existing mill(think about the recent review saying 240hp/200tq@7k, that would be it, they were told vaguely but they confused it in the article saying #s were for normal BRZ when it wasn't).

Q1 2013 is the target. This date is too far away for STI variant it could only mean they are waiting for new gen mill to pass tests(which should of been done 2 months ago) and scrap the bigger tuned N/A idea, but being very tight lipped. They also are faced with knowing 31+k is turbo 4 or 6cyl territory for Japanese sports cars and anything less would be a tough sell in their upcoming line up.
Exactly...the only point I'm making is that $31k is just way too much to be asking unless its what everyone expects from an STi version, that includes Force Induction.

Hell, that car and driver article quotes that executive as saying $28k for the base BRZ. Thats a huge eyebrow raiser. Why so high?
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #45
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blofeld42 View Post
Target production of 3000? That's only about eight per dealer in the US. That works out to about one per month per dealer. Less if the 3000 number is for worldwide sales.
This as been mentioned in other places about rumors that dealers will get 1-2 cars per month. No haggling with that.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #46
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
Faster? We already know there won't be a FI model even from Subaru at the get-go. So, $31k for what? I'm asking the same question.

It seems like that $31k will be for pretty much everything you'd be able to dealer option onto its -twin- car, the FR-S.

When I say "do myself" I don't mean engine mods to make it as fast as the STi (it'll be the same damn engine with the same damn output), I meant options offered via brochure and end up with a car I want, at the price I want, instead of having to spend an arm and a leg for an entire package deal (STi).

Hell, an STi version hasn't even been confirmed. Its just speculation.
Whether it's released 12 or 16months from now doesn't matter, what matters it's coming so save your money for the bigger better picture. Don't be penny smart dollar foolish.

$31k will not be a dealer optioned car it will be a race bred vehicle, optioned would be $34k for premium audio/nav and leather just like an optioned WRXSTI hits 40k with those things.

Say what you want I've came back to point out the things that I've already shared with people on here. Also I will bet you that you cannot make your FRS/"BRZ" faster and lighter than the "BRZ" STI using quality parts for under 31k including the cost of little to no optioned car which will be in the 25k region. Not going to happen, you'll have no interior inducing extra road noise, sacrifice comfort and reliabilty throwing away your powertrain warranty trying to do so.

To put in perspective here's a scenario. A quality intake system, header, cat, and catback that actually gives you gains will run you 2.2k, RPF1 or like new forged lw wheels another 2k with 180utg rated tires, seat pair 1k, aluminum links, brakes, suspension arms add another 3k(not including struts and springs), ecu flash 500. That's 8.7k, your leaving out STI exterior/interior styling, struts/springs/sways, turbo, model value, possible emission issues with header/cat. In the end you are still down on power/tq and not handling as well, the STI will be factory engineered and backed not a modded bolt-on hot mess.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #47
Mess11

Drives: Miata
Quote:
Target production of 3000? That's only about eight per dealer in the US. That works out to about one per month per dealer. Less if the 3000 number is for worldwide sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
This as been mentioned in other places about rumors that dealers will get 1-2 cars per month. No haggling with that.
Is that 3,000 Scion and Subaru models together, or just applies to the Subaru BRZ?

Why so few anyway?
Mess11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #48
blofeld42

Drives: econobox
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
I wonder why the Subaru allocation is so low. Toyota has priority? Subaru is planning on stretching the platform for the WRX and AWD, and doesn't want to dilute their AWD brand? They want to differentiate themselves with a higher output model in a year?
blofeld42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #49
blofeld42

Drives: econobox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess11 View Post
Is that 3,000 Scion and Subaru models together, or just applies to the Subaru BRZ?

Why so few anyway?
I'd expect that's the Subaru allocation for the US. They built a new plant for this and they're not making money on a production run of 3,000 per year. It sounds like Toyota is getting almost all the production for the first year.
blofeld42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #50
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Quote:
I wonder why the Subaru allocation is so low. Toyota has priority? Subaru is planning on stretching the platform for the WRX and AWD, and doesn't want to dilute their AWD brand? They want to differentiate themselves with a higher output model in a year?
Its not its the same as other sport models in the line up.

No

Yes stretch, No could care less

Yes
Old 11-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #51
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
3000 units a year?!?!?! Dammit!
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #52
Mess11

Drives: Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess11 View Post

Why so few anyway?
Quote:
I'd expect that's the Subaru allocation for the US. They built a new plant for this and they're not making money on a production run of 3,000 per year. It sounds like Toyota is getting almost all the production for the first year.
Ah, so we'll see much more than 3,000 units of the Scion FR-S per year?

If so, whew....
Mess11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #53
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Interesting article. Just wondering how accurate the estimated price is.
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #54
PAImportTuner
Turbo Mafia Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaVI View Post
Interesting article. Just wondering how accurate the estimated price is.
Almost dead on.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #55
ForReal-Someday

Drives: Company Vehicle
Quote:
Almost dead on.
Oh Rly?
ForReal-Someday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #56
ft86cbx

Drives: FT86 (Soon)
Quote:
Almost dead on.
Source?
ft86cbx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz forums, brz sti, brz sti concept, brz sti forum, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, subaru brz sti, subaru brz sti concept, subaru brz sti forum