follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-31-2014, 01:54 AM   #1
nyfries

Drives: 14 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DIY mods that you can do without a hoist

I'm saving up for wheels so in the meantime i would like to still show my baby some loving by installing small parts that improve the driving feel and to make everything a bit stiffer at the same time not take a hit in my wallet. I also like to install things myself with only floor jack, jackstands. I have look at diy video and tutorials on many of the following mods i'm consider but they were all done on hoist. Theoretically it would work the same if on floor jacks except jack stand don't give nearly enough clearance for leverage. Has any body done the follow mods without the usage of a hoist? so possible problem i foresee may be stuff like not having enough room from a floor stand to use torque wrench etc.

-manual shifter mount bushing
-whiteline positive shift kit
-perrin steering lockout
-Whiteline Positive Traction Kit

these are just some of the mods i have in mind, i don't want it to drastically change the characteristic of the car yet as I'm still learning the car and car control in autox events. so no sway bar mods and such. I've already got a strut brace that i barely notice now. any suggestion would be much appreciated
nyfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:57 AM   #2
BadBRZ
Banned

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Save all your money and just buy a turbo kit... Car needs it
BadBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:49 AM   #3
nyfries

^ not going to do that. i autox and don't want to leave my class yet lol. beside i don't feel like i can drive the car at 10/10 yet don't need the extra power atm
Old 08-31-2014, 02:53 AM   #4
jebuwh
Village Idiot

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine Manual
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Suspension can be installed on stands fairly easily.
jebuwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:19 AM   #5
Neokolzia

Drives: 1996 Celica GTFour ST205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfries View Post
^ not going to do that. i autox and don't want to leave my class yet lol. beside i don't feel like i can drive the car at 10/10 yet don't need the extra power atm

I'm honestly with ya on that, and very interested in getting most out of the car in its naturally aspirated state, trying to squeeze what power it has natively just needs more HQ components etc.
Neokolzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:58 AM   #6
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I would change the tires.... but not really a DIY or a good cause as you're saving up for wheels already.

Maybe a brake MC brace?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N1rve For This Useful Post:
nyfries (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 03:59 AM   #7
nyfries

^already have that and I do feel a difference on it
Old 08-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
^already have that and I do feel a difference on it
I second. The stock tires are worthless. Even on the stock rims max performance summers make a huge difference. Also there's the issue of wider tires screwing with the car's sublime steering feel.

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'd recommend a 4.56 final drive swap, but going through mine has been incredibly frustrating trying to get it setup correctly (gear mesh issues). It's a pretty noticable mod though.

Requires jack stands and two floor jacks along with some specialty tooling. But possible to do at home.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #10
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm saving up for wheels so in the meantime i would like to still show my baby some loving by installing small parts that improve the driving feel and to make everything a bit stiffer at the same time not take a hit in my wallet. I also like to install things myself with only floor jack, jackstands. I have look at diy video and tutorials on many of the following mods i'm consider but they were all done on hoist. Theoretically it would work the same if on floor jacks except jack stand don't give nearly enough clearance for leverage. Has any body done the follow mods without the usage of a hoist? so possible problem i foresee may be stuff like not having enough room from a floor stand to use torque wrench etc.

-manual shifter mount bushing
-whiteline positive shift kit
-perrin steering lockout
-Whiteline Positive Traction Kit

these are just some of the mods i have in mind, i don't want it to drastically change the characteristic of the car yet as I'm still learning the car and car control in autox events. so no sway bar mods and such. I've already got a strut brace that i barely notice now. any suggestion would be much appreciated

Alignment / camber adjustment screws and bolts. -- Then you can change alignment as you see fit wile the car is on stands with string. (There are how to guides on this all over the internet if interested)

The other thing I did which helped me with feel was to adjust the clutch pedal. It's a 12mm wrench (Shorter makes it easier based on space, but a standard crafts man will work). I have my pedal height changed to be just above the brake to ensure it fully engages and disengages.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #11
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
You can do everything you listed without a lift. If you're concerned about leverage, you need to hit the gym or use a longer breaker bar or pipe extension. I've never not had enough room to use a torque wrench while under the car on jack stands. If you need more room, raise the jack stand height. . .you know they are adjustable right? I just swapped my header yesterday with just the front on jack stands and had enough room to slide in and out with the header on my chest. I've got a 48" chest so I'm not a small guy.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cnk For This Useful Post:
nyfries (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
jblmr2

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure about the rules in autox, but you might consider a CAI or a panel filter. Brake pads and fluid upgrade could be helpful. I've added a master cylinder brace and it definitely helps with pedal feel. If you decide to track your car you'll eventually want to consider an oil cooler.
jblmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote