follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Love our cars more than ourselves?

I guess I need something explained to me. I see thread after thread about prolonging the car, babying the car and things like:

- garaging it for the winter
- opti-coating
- clear bra, clear wrap, plasti-dip
- extensive threads on wax, oil, filters, fluids, etc
- extensive debates oil viscosities, lubricating values, aftermarket parts and resale values...

I participate in these threads too, of course... I love my car. I've waxed it several times already and have a clearbra on it along with a dashcam. I've replaced all my fluids with what I feel is a better alternative as well. blah blah etc etc etc...

So where's the disconnect? Why isn't the same level of attention and care applied to ourselves?

So I'm curious, are all of us who are babying our cars babying ourselves? Are we obsessing about the quality of our food and our sleep or are we driving our opti-coated baby with a fresh oil change over to McDonalds for a BigMac with cancer and a supersized cup of diabetes?

If so why, if not why not?

One of the first race car drivers to approach his body the same way the engineers approached the race car was Michael Schumacher. He even had is blood drawn before and after each racing event to make sure his nutrition and glucose levels were optimal for physical and mental performance. 7 championships later it can be argued that he revolutionized the sport regarding a focus on the physical body as well as the car. Now it's the norm.

Your body and your brain are VASTLY more important than your car, than any car. Why not treat yourself with at least equal amounts of love, if not more?

Discuss.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There are lists of health forums with normal people/body builders that are just as passionate as we are.

-Sheltered year round and not just in one room
-Soaps and Shampoo
-Clothing of all sorts
-Extensive shaving creams, hair wax, lotions
-Extensive discoveries into was supplements and vitamins are effective

Personal care is a constant hobby for some, but not on a car forum.

Cancer and diabetes are exaggerations I hope? People eat Mcdonalds and candy everyday with no repercussions. I love drinking poison, I can feel the effects of my personal 'mods'; my car cannot.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
i want my FRS to last a long time because i hate buying things to replace broken things that wouldn't not have broke had i just took better care of it

so i opti-coated and rust-proofed it

at the same time i'm using the machine as intended, and the first time i swallowed a pylon whole zero fucks were given. After a short season of autocross i already have permanent scuffs on my bumper. ohh well.

but if my QP start to rust after 5 years i'll be hella pissed.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I guess I need something explained to me. I see thread after thread about prolonging the car, babying the car and things like:

- garaging it for the winter
- opti-coating
- clear bra, clear wrap, plasti-dip
- extensive threads on wax, oil, filters, fluids, etc
- extensive debates oil viscosities, lubricating values, aftermarket parts and resale values...

I participate in these threads too, of course... I love my car. I've waxed it several times already and have a clearbra on it along with a dashcam. I've replaced all my fluids with what I feel is a better alternative as well. blah blah etc etc etc...

So where's the disconnect? Why isn't the same level of attention and care applied to ourselves?

So I'm curious, are all of us who are babying our cars babying ourselves? Are we obsessing about the quality of our food and our sleep or are we driving our opti-coated baby with a fresh oil change over to McDonalds for a BigMac with cancer and a supersized cup of diabetes?

If so why, if not why not?

One of the first race car drivers to approach his body the same way the engineers approached the race car was Michael Schumacher. He even had is blood drawn before and after each racing event to make sure his nutrition and glucose levels were optimal for physical and mental performance. 7 championships later it can be argued that he revolutionized the sport regarding a focus on the physical body as well as the car. Now it's the norm.

Your body and your brain are VASTLY more important than your car, than any car. Why not treat yourself with at least equal amounts of love, if not more?

Discuss.
What dash cam are you using?

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
So what you need to do is find the metrosexual forum.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
chulooz (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I mean, if I got a new car I would wrap the paint to keep it pristine, but since my car already has rock chips I don't really car. As for the other things, I mean, I'll do maintenance to keep the car trouble free for my own convenience, but for example I prefer that my car be filled with a different motor oil but I'm not going to dump the oil until it actually needs changing, and it doesn't bother me too much that the engine is not in optimal condition, as long as it's not going to seriously degrade it over time.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
rice_classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
What dash cam are you using?
Blackvue version 2
Giccin (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
rice_classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post

Personal care is a constant hobby for some, but not on a car forum.
Why not?

Why love ANYTHING more than yourself? I'm not talking about vanity, fashion or any materialistic crap like that (like the metrosexual comment above which is just ridiculous). I'm talking about well being, health and the disconnect of taking care of something that's not even alive better then ourselves.

The quest here is the search for the disconnect. Why car enthusiast would take better care of their car then themselves, why a pet owner would take better care of their pet then themselves or their kids. It is a rather broad and existential question I will admit.

My disconnect was due to ignorance, I didn't know any better. It wasn't until I saw myself in a photo wearing my racing suit with no neck and a pretty envious set of man titties, that I realized something was very wrong. It was that moment, looking at my bloated self, in front of my race car where it dawned on me... "What if I applied the same approach to myself that I did to my race car? I bet I would go better and last longer too." Turns out I'm right. My disconnect was ignorance but I don't know if that's the case for others. I suspect it's a wide variety of things and not just one.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I think the mistake you're making is you assume that everyone treats their cars the way that you do. Thus you reason these people should treat their health the same way you do.

You have people here on this forum who baby and coddle their new FR-S/BRZ and you have people who pound the shit out of them and couldn't care less. That's just as you have druggies, drunks, dirt bags and douche bags and people who take care of themselves.

Just because we all drive and love the same cars doesn't mean we love them the same way and it doesn't mean we love ourselves the same way.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
**wonders if rice_classic looked at the footage of me with crazy hair on his dash cam**
Old 01-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
When I scratch my car, I cry. When I scrape myself, I cry. When I hit my wife, I laugh. :shrug:
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
JoeBoxer (01-05-2013), Shagaliscious (01-03-2013), Sigma6 (01-03-2013), zaptorque (01-04-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I would look at it as my car doesn't have urges to be unhealthy. I buy myself things just as much as I buy my car things, just happens that things I want to buy for my car are GOOD for it, whereas things I want to buy for myself are BAD for me.

Think clear-bra or any of the things you listed for the car and compare it to alcohol for myself. I could want one just as badly as the other even though one is good for my car and the other is bad for me.

Not sure if I explained this as well as I thought it in my head but hopefully you get the idea.
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Why not?

Why love ANYTHING more than yourself? I'm not talking about vanity, fashion or any materialistic crap like that (like the metrosexual comment above which is just ridiculous). I'm talking about well being, health and the disconnect of taking care of something that's not even alive better then ourselves.

The quest here is the search for the disconnect. Why car enthusiast would take better care of their car then themselves, why a pet owner would take better care of their pet then themselves or their kids. It is a rather broad and existential question I will admit.

My disconnect was due to ignorance, I didn't know any better. It wasn't until I saw myself in a photo wearing my racing suit with no neck and a pretty envious set of man titties, that I realized something was very wrong. It was that moment, looking at my bloated self, in front of my race car where it dawned on me... "What if I applied the same approach to myself that I did to my race car? I bet I would go better and last longer too." Turns out I'm right. My disconnect was ignorance but I don't know if that's the case for others. I suspect it's a wide variety of things and not just one.
A philosophical question or practical?

Practically speaking this is an automobile froum with a small 'offtopic' section, so this is the wrong internets for 'personal care'.

I love things besides myself because my life is lived beyond an introspective reality. What I do with my body is more important than what I do to my body. If you play sports, hike, swim, work lots of physical labor, ect your actions dont have to be focused on your body if its already being well maintained. Things snowball with age. Ohhhh I didnt realize this was turning into a fat issue, thats another topic... Im out.

:happy0180:
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #14
rice_classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
I think the mistake you're making is you assume that everyone treats their cars the way that you do.
I fear you've made an incorrect assumption about me.

I am not making that assumption nor am I taking "everyone" into consideration, only those that treat their car better then themselves. The question in itself; "Why love an inanimate thing more than oneself?", automatically excludes all those who do otherwise and is not limited to FRS enthusiasts, car enthusiasts or even car owners for that matter.

The proposed question is also without judgement and was posed for 2 reasons: genuine curiosity as to the disconnect and also for the purpose of a discussion.

So whaap, do you fall into the category of greater care for an inanimate than for yourself and if so why?