follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
USDM - Rear foglight indicator in cluster? Trying to do a quality rear fog light inst

The functional rear foglight mod seems to be pretty popular. From the pictures, it appears as though there's a rear foglight indicator light in the instrument cluster. Has anyone been able to successfully get it to light on a USDM car? I read that the yellow wire going to the foglight stalk that's supposed to activate it is missing, but I don't know if anyone has tried getting the indicator in the cluster to function.

My goal for this project is to source a rear foglight panel-mounted switch from a car that came with them from the factory, and mount it in the dashboard on the dimmer, trunk release, and headlight levelling panel, then have the switch turn the rear foglight on and off and have it displayed on the instrument cluster. I haven't found any wiring diagrams, and I am not sure how the indicator light works (is there circuitry within the instrument cluster for it, or is there a wire I can find and just connect in parallel with the rear foglight itself to get the little indicator light to come on?).

Another question - does anyone know the correct socket to use for the mod? The fog light won't function properly unless it's the correct bulb, and the filament is correctly placed at the focal point. I've heard it's a 921 in Rest-Of-The-World GT86s, but I've never been able to confirm it. I'd like to get the correct RotW socket, because just putting in a generic socket with a random bulb will probably not give a good light distribution.
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I can confirm the yellow wire is absent from the stalk. I've been trying to track down the OEM wiring schematics for the rear fog lights but have been unsuccessful. I have the EDM stalk with front & rear fog light and auto headlight switches. I'm close to getting everything in place for the auto headlight feature, but put the rear fog light on the back burner until I get this done.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
nalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbkk View Post
I can confirm the yellow wire is absent from the stalk. I've been trying to track down the OEM wiring schematics for the rear fog lights but have been unsuccessful. I have the EDM stalk with front & rear fog light and auto headlight switches. I'm close to getting everything in place for the auto headlight feature, but put the rear fog light on the back burner until I get this done.
Excellent, I'm curious to see how your project goes. I'm glad someone else is interested in doing things the right way and not just in making their "triangular JDM break light" "strobe like in F1" "because racecar". I want to get it working, but I want it to work properly, and I want someone getting in my car to be able to figure out how it's working, and not know that it isn't OEM.

I've heard that there's no wire for the rear foglight in USDM. I was considering running a wire up to the front fogs just to get something up and running, but I'm not sure how much the fuse would appreciate that additional load.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Waiting patiently
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
Fett4Real
AKA Mugen Dom

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2007 FJ Voodoo Blue
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
You can add a bulb etc to the Cluster the cluster isnt the issue its theres no relay and wiring. Ask one of the AU guys Im sure they'd be willing to tell you the bulb for this.
Fett4Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
nalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett4Real View Post
You can add a bulb etc to the Cluster the cluster isnt the issue its theres no relay and wiring. Ask one of the AU guys Im sure they'd be willing to tell you the bulb for this.
Wow, really? How much is involved in adding the bulb to the cluster? I had assumed it'd be a self-contained assembly with all of the idiot light LEDs attached to a PCB. I'll search around to see if I can find pics of cluster disassembly, I'm fine and dandy just popping in a LED and running the wires down to the switch. I don't want to deal with the hassle of the EDM stalk or with messing with the BCU, I was just going to get an OEM-looking rear foglight switch and install it next to the trunk release.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
Fett4Real
AKA Mugen Dom

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2007 FJ Voodoo Blue
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Well, we know that the rear fog is in the cluster right? I mean you can look at it and see it...so either no bulb inside or no wire to the pin...it shouldnt be terribly hard to get it to work....but then again who knows
Fett4Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
Papi

Drives: Crystal White Silica BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Anyone have an update?
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
Anyone have an update?
Goto the DIY section, this was solved in 2013. You just need to buy a new side stalk and wire it up according to the instructions and you will have a dash that lights up proper like