follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
TheSandeman

Drives: Audi TT VR6 Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Euro Lurker - ** EURO Content **youve been warned

Hello fello FT86 owners!

New member here looking into getting into a FT86 - specifically the Subaru - from what i was told the Subaru was the better package over the Scion (but if im completely wrong please correct me, i would appreciate it before i get offended )

To keep things short, this will be my first import car that i will be owning. Ive owned a 2008 VW GTI and currently own 2008 Audi TT (pics to come later on in the post ) Im 25, looking to cut down on the bills to buy my first home/apartment/condo so the BRZ/FRS looks to be the best bang for the buck out there that i will not be too disappointment coming from the TT. The Audi TT isnt the fastest thing on the road (not even close) but it has some pep and an awesome sounding exhaust, but i need more cargo room - ive outgrown the car.

Off the bat, im not expecting the BRZ to be speed demon - the numbers on paper speak from themselves - but i can see it being a very fun car with its lightweight chassis and rwd.
The 2.0 NA Boxer motor has pretty high compression from the factory which kinda shys me away from doing any FI. Ive seen the FI threads as i lurked the past weeks prior to joining FT86Club but im afraid ill break shite everytime i drive the car. That said, im not looking to get into an extensive build nothing too far from some bolt-ons, coils and wheels with some decent power so i can hang with decent powered cars on the highway

Ive been pre-approved but before i go in and take the jump, just wanted to clear up a few things and as you guys a couple questions about the BRZ/FRS...

Is the FRS/BRZ as slow as everyone says they are?

Which is the better package, the BRZ or FRS?

Is FI a good option bumping up the power and torque?

Hows the day to day driving BRZ/FRS?

Cargo room, for the size of the car is it decent?

If you had the chance to get rid of your BRZ/FRS and start a new clean slate, would you?
TheSandeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Enraged21
#RememberTheBuster

Drives: Firestorm FRS MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandeman View Post
Is the FRS/BRZ as slow as everyone says they are?
Pretty much. Soccer moms pass me all the time. BUT it can hold a lot of speed around the corners. And that's all I care for.

Quote:
Which is the better package, the BRZ or FRS?
Depends. The BRZ is more towards understeer while the FRS is tail happy. The BRZ would have a better interior if you decide to get the Limited.

Quote:
Is FI a good option bumping up the power and torque?
Quote:
Hows the day to day driving BRZ/FRS?
I love it. Every day I look forward on my drive home from work. Couldn't get any better.

Quote:
Cargo room, for the size of the car is it decent?
I'm single with no kids. The space is perfect.

Quote:
If you had the chance to get rid of your BRZ/FRS and start a new clean slate, would you?
NEVER!
Enraged21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
TheSandeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enraged21 View Post
Pretty much. Soccer moms pass me all the time. BUT it can hold a lot of speed around the corners. And that's all I care for.
The turns are most definitely my favorite but thats a bit dissappointing about soccer moms passing us

Quote:
Depends. The BRZ is more towards understeer while the FRS is tail happy. The BRZ would have a better interior if you decide to get the Limited.
The main sway towards the BRZ was because of the better interior and supposedly better suspension. Are there any specifics why the FRS is the better "drift" car? More nose heavy, lower grade tires, weight distribution?

Quote:
I'm single with no kids. The space is perfect.
Excellent the space in my current car blows! Im hoping the rear doesnt fit adults, i kinda like not being the DD and got used to it
Old 07-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
rainmonkey

Drives: BRZ - Dark Grey
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Regarding the oversteer (frs)/understeer(brz):

It really isn't that apparent. Additionally the understeer would probably make the brz 'safer' since the twins are pretty tail happy without extensive monitoring by the electronic assists.
I'd say get the BRZ since it has more creature comforts and it seems like that's what you're going for - not a fully prepped track car. Additionally, if you did go to the track or something and found that the understeer really was problematic for you, you could always just get some coilovers - this effectively negates the difference in handling between the frs and brz since the only difference is the spring rates iirc.
rainmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The only chassis difference is a very slight change in rear spring rate. Same car overall.
Suspension is NOT better, just slightly different.
BRZ has some interior upgrades and HID. Meh. FR-S for cheapnis.

I'm still on the fence about FI. Waiting for more examples and long term review.
Currently there's enough power to keep me entertained.

The wide pass through rear seat has been adequate for me.
Saw a report the other day that someone sucessfully stowed a surfboard, so yeah...

Can't think of any motivation to move on to something else yet.
Been waiting for a car like this for years.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
ihaskrayon
The Comedian

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I don't get some of you guys? The car isn't really THAT slow...

Either you're shifting at 2.5 RPMs or you're used to driving 0-60 in 2.9 seconds every stop light. Every day. Every 1/4 mile, a day at a time.

I've been driving the car for less than a week and I can tell you it's quick. Not insane fast, but I'm able to pass people in 6th on the freeway no problem. If I downshift, it's even easier. The tourqe dip sucks, but once you learn to drive around it, you'll be fine. I think the car is perfect for daily speeds.
ihaskrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ihaskrayon For This Useful Post:
Kimsey47 (07-07-2013), Marchy (07-08-2013), spdfreak (07-06-2013), thill (07-08-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
ntron1
Sarcastic Bastard

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ, '13 Mini, 1999 Blazer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Is the FRS/BRZ as slow as everyone says they are? That's a loaded question. A lot slower than my Audi R8 but can still pull 100 mph in 4th. So if you want to do 100 mph on the highway, no problem but you might be a few hundred meters behind.

Which is the better package, the BRZ or FRS? No idea, never looked at an FRS

Is FI a good option bumping up the power and torque? Speed is just a matter of money, How fast do YOU want to go????

Hows the day to day driving BRZ/FRS? Outstanding!

Cargo room, for the size of the car is it decent? Golf clubs and a gym bag with the rear seat down. No need for anything else.

If you had the chance to get rid of your BRZ/FRS and start a new clean slate, would you? Not today but who knows what tomorrow will bring.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
elbles

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
I'd be kind of surprised if the twins can accommodate more cargo than a TT. Edmunds has a TT as having ~23.4 cubic feet of cargo space at maximum, with 13.1 cubic feet with all seats in place. The twins? A mere 6.9 cubic feet.

Yeah, the seats fold down, and can fit a fair amount of stuff, but I think you'll still be left with less usable space than a TT (let alone a GTI... I miss my 2010 for that, among other reasons).
elbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
"I need more cargo room so I'm buying a BRZ"

Fantastic.

My opinions in regard to your questions, mirror those of enraged21

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
TheSandeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
"I need more cargo room so I'm buying a BRZ"

Fantastic.

My opinions in regard to your questions, mirror those of enraged21
compared to the TT i currently own, any additional cargo room is a luxury
Old 07-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
KevinBRZ

Drives: BRZ
The car isn't that slow. 6.4 second 0-60 and 14.9 second 1/4 mile is relatively fast for a $25,000 car. Everyone tries to compare these times to $35,000 vehicles which have larger engines. If that torque dip didn't exist, and you can get rid of it, it would be faster. Spend a bit more money on some mods and it will be plenty fast.
KevinBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This post makes no sense to me. The BRZ/FR-S isn't a car you buy if you need more room. Look to a hatch like the GTI or Focus ST for that.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
skye67

Drives: 2013 black AT, OFT, 4.65
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
As far as room... had a 2005 Ford Focus zx3. And traveling I would bring, 32" LCD TV, Playstation 3 + games in travel bag, laptop computer in travel bag, 36" cooler, two 24" tool bags, 36"suit case, 24 pack of soda. All fit in the back of both the Focus and the BRZ with the seats down.
And far as fast, the other car i was looking at buying was a turbo Ford Focus ST. Not that fast over the BRZ. And the BRZ gets better mpg, most of the time, he he
skye67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
Scenic Driver

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ, 02 Audi TTQ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
If you think you're going to have more cargo space in the BRZ than in the TT you're going to be disappointed. Having a hatchback instead of a small trunk opening makes a big difference too. A few weeks ago I had to bring 4 wheels over to the tire place, I used my TT.

The BRZ also feels more cramped inside so if you've truly outgrown your TT this isn't going to be better.