follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #15
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Great job, Velox! love you guy's work.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
VerusEric (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 04:06 PM   #16
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
You have too much fun Eric lol
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
VerusEric (05-18-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #17
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Although this is definitely the most tempting ducting solution available for me - I almost bought it on a whim yesterday, going through the instructions I'm a little disappointed at the amount of things that are not polished, a few suggestions:

Mesh/gutter guard should be included - kinda sucks to have to go to the hardware store and fab it up when you're buying a kit.
The ends of the ducting hoses could come pre-taped - minor but nice to have.
Cutting templates for the fender liners would be useful.
Washer bottle situation - at the very least, confirm that an alternative washer fluid reservoir fits like the FBM or KW option.

Another quick question, can you see the orange ducting behind the wheels/brakes? Is there a way to get the black version instead?
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #18
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
You want them to install it for you too? Do you see the petty crap you are complaining about? If that is what's stopping you, then you probably should just stick to wheels and exhaust.

Edit:

It's also not a company's responsibilty to check for compatibilty with parts that 1) are from another company, and 2) are so niche.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:20 PM   #19
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
I thought I was picky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdnz View Post
Although this is definitely the most tempting ducting solution available for me - I almost bought it on a whim yesterday, going through the instructions I'm a little disappointed at the amount of things that are not polished, a few suggestions:

Mesh/gutter guard should be included - kinda sucks to have to go to the hardware store and fab it up when you're buying a kit.
You can get dive mesh from any dive shop or fabric store in large sheets for super cheap.

Quote:
The ends of the ducting hoses could come pre-taped - minor but nice to have.
The tape is one of those things that you have to get it perfect to make it work. I personally did not tape mine as I tried it once and it just make the hoses more difficult to fit. As long as you clamp down the string/wire ends it will not fray and come apart. No big deal.

Quote:
Cutting templates for the fender liners would be useful.
The cuts you're supposed to make to the fender liners are super obvious and follow shapes that essentially act as a template. I had no issue with an x-acto knife and some patience.

Quote:
Washer bottle situation - at the very least, confirm that an alternative washer fluid reservoir fits like the FBM or KW option.
Windex or invisible glass and a microfiber work great and deleting that enormous F350 sized wiper fluid tank will take like 7 lbs off the nose of the car.

That said, I'm pretty sure the Ptuning washer bottle kit will fit fine.

Quote:
Another quick question, can you see the orange ducting behind the wheels/brakes? Is there a way to get the black version instead?
The orange hoses are not visible at all, you'd have to be up close and looking for them to see them. They are orange because they are rated for high temps. The black hoses are not rated for temps as high as the orange, so theyre only used for the forward pieces of hoses.

You should get back to that whim you were on yesterday. You won't regret it.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
boredom.is.me (05-17-2016), TRAKRAVN (05-17-2016), VerusEric (05-18-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #20
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
I thought I was picky...
Yes, it's a product of what I do for a living

Quote:
You can get dive mesh from any dive shop or fabric store in large sheets for super cheap.
I bet I could probably piece most of this kit together from a store, but I'd rather not invest the time - thats why I'm okay paying for more than the sum of the parts when paying for Velox's R&D

Quote:
The cuts you're supposed to make to the fender liners are super obvious and follow shapes that essentially act as a template. I had no issue with an x-acto knife and some patience.
It's just a nice to have, not a deal breaker. I have to pay for shop time now that I live in an apartment... wah wah wah I'm a whiner I know.

Quote:
Windex or invisible glass and a microfiber work great and deleting that enormous F350 sized wiper fluid tank will take like 7 lbs off the nose of the car.
Because race-car lol

Quote:
The orange hoses are not visible at all, you'd have to be up close and looking for them to see them. They are orange because they are rated for high temps. The black hoses are not rated for temps as high as the orange, so theyre only used for the forward pieces of hoses.
Good to know, thanks.

Quote:
You should get back to that whim you were on yesterday. You won't regret it.
I'm still considering it, I'm installing my stoptech bbk in two weeks and figure it's worth doing at the same time. I just can't live without the windshield washer reservoir so I need to figure that one out first.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:41 PM   #21
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Why do you have to pay for shop time? You don't have a friend with jack stands and a driveway?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #22
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
@VeloxEric: have you considered of making alternative set, with duct intakes behind rad grill instead of using foglight intakes for those, that don't wish to sacrifice fog lights of top trim to replace them with brake air duct? I'm thinking of something like in this kit. I guess, only similar intakes + maybe different length front hoses will be needed to customize existing kit?
I second this. Fog light inserts are a deal breaker for me. I was going to get the Touge Factory kit but if you guys figure it out before I'm ready to buy, then I'll get yours

edit: I would like to amend my above statement. The knuckle piece stand alone seems to be intended for this purpose. Ducts stuff from Summit looks to be about 150$. They offer inlet cones(or whatever you want to call them) in a couple variations. Between the velox plates, Summit, and your local home depot you could easily duplicate the Touge Factory kit for a similar price. Of course you could just buy the TF kit but the Velox backing plates look better and I suppose brand loyalty could come into play. On a side note, I didn't realize Summit had so much random stuff, will definitely be checking there more often for random stuff

Last edited by Ashikabi; 05-18-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #23
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ashikabi: i googled for 'brake air duct universal' and got several shops selling different shape bumper/body/NACA ducts (including transparent ones) for cheap ($15-$25). +Earlier in this thread was mentioned shop for extra length front hoses for $50. That imho should be sufficient for not much more to DIY extend existing Velox set.
Of course it would be better if there would be third Velox set without foglight connectors/leading hose for cheaper to not pay for redundant/unused parts and use those savings for custom hose/ducts purchase, but it's upto Velox to decide if it's worth to release such set.
What i'd really love though, would be, even if it takes for Velox reusing of such 3rd party parts/ducts to make set (to save time/money on developing/making those behind grill duct inlets too) .. set which also would be pretested/documented to install and so on, to not get any gotchas in install or need to order something above (for example, if ordered extra hoses will be too short ).

Last edited by churchx; 05-18-2016 at 10:52 AM.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #24
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
If you are having issues keeping your brakes cool, or value brake endurance, this is the kit to have. If you value the washer bottle more than efficient brake cooling, you don't really need this kit in the first place.
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Takumi788 For This Useful Post:
continuecrushing (05-18-2016), VerusEric (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #25
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
For those with the washer fluid reservoir concern:

-There are two units on the market that can be purchased already. If you'd like another option, I can have blow injection molded piece designed up and we can see where we land price wise. Including this in the kit would have easily increased the cost 75-100 dollars, so before saying it's a deal breaker, consider the added cost for all the other people that could care less about it. We can't please everyone.

-You can run the backing plates only and create your own routing that would allow the OEM washer fluid reservoir to be used. We created the backing plate kit so those that want to do their own deal, can.

Fog light duct concern:

-I'm slightly surprised about this as I didn't realize many people actually used them on this car. However, we did account for this again by offering the backing plate only kit, which again was a forethought that some people would want to build their own kit because they don't like something about what we did completely. This is the route I would suggest for now, as we do not currently plan to create yet another kit. The tooling required to make the plastic pieces and the carbon duct was significant and we're still trying to recoup our costs.

Hope this helps some.

Thanks,
Eric
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #26
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
Fog light duct concern:

-I'm slightly surprised about this as I didn't realize many people actually used them on this car.
Weather in the North East sucks. This was my April 26th track day at Watkins. We went out for our first run, great conditions, 3 laps in, see picture below. This is why I am routing my brake ducts to the front grill and keeping my fogs. I love the kit though. I think half the fun of installing kits like these are finding ways to make them work better for your own specific application.

- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Takumi788 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #27
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
If you are having issues keeping your brakes cool, or value brake endurance, this is the kit to have. If you value the washer bottle more than efficient brake cooling, you don't really need this kit in the first place.
That's not entirely true at all. Some people truly daily drive and track the same car. Having to swap in a washer fluid bottle for winter and back out to connect the brake duct is a deal breaker for me.

Running an aftermarket bottle is definitely a viable option, and I wouldn't expect Velox to include it in every kit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Guillaume (05-19-2016), Sleepless (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 05:49 PM   #28
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Extra weight comes more so from extra washing fluid, not so much from bigger plastic bottle itself. Simpler/cheaper lightening mod seems to sprinkle out excess fluid prior track or not fill completely. Knowing that there is extra washing fluid usage due them washing also front lights, and remembering slight annoyance of 3lr reservoir in previous car, but 4lr most common refilling can size at local fuel stations, makes me think, that 4lr capacity of stock bottle makes sense.
BUT! As i plan to DIY reroute intakes behind rad grill anyway, at same time i can think of routing in a way to not require stock washing fluid bottle replacement
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote