follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #29
PERRIN_Mladen

Drives: '11 535i
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
@PERRIN_Mladen

Is the 3" still made to order or do you have it on the shelf?
I'm going to assume you are asking about the 3" catback, if that is that case, then I've got them on the shelf and ready to go.
PERRIN_Mladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #30
FR-Sizzle

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@DSG View Post
As I mentioned, there is virtually no difference. 5whp is not noticeable in any way, I understand you have to advertise this as they are gains, but you can't advertise this (not saying that you are/you did) as any significant gains (on an un-tuned car).

However, as I've mentioned all along, the standard trio of intake, exhaust and tune proves to be the winner here (like always). The 3" exhaust components with a 3" intake and tune are the only way you'll see a difference. 30whp is a nice increase, there's no doubt.

A few other thoughts:
-I find the 3" is a smoother sounding exhaust (despite having slightly louder overall volume). This would be my choice just for that aspect.
-3" is a great option to leave you open for further mods down the road (FI)

Ultimately, trying to squeeze out 2-3whp here and there on a budget is completely useless. You gotta pay to play. $3100 for 30whp on these cars in N/A format, ouch. But, I think this 3" option is the way to go because FI will be the only way to make any noticeable power, and FI will require a 3" setup (especially turbo).

Using a 2.5" versus 3" on a turbo system, big difference (especially with a test pipe). I gained 38whp/28wtq on my car going from the OEM 2.25" to 3" exhaust (not an FA20).

Overall, very nice results on the stage 3.
5 WHP is a big difference IMO. 1-2 isnt, but 5 whp is enough of a difference to make someone choose this exhaust over the 2.5 inch system. It may not be a lot or enough to feel the difference but a couple whp here and there on mods will add up and you will feel the difference after you get a whole set up together. Its a no brainer to get the 3 inch system after Perrins recently blog posts. If you dont like the sound of the 3 inch then get the 2.5 inch.
FR-Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #31
SubBrZ

Drives: Crystal black BRZ
Can I send my 2.5 back and get some credit for 3.0?
SubBrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #32
Jason@DSG

Drives: 1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sizzle View Post
5 WHP is a big difference IMO. 1-2 isnt, but 5 whp is enough of a difference to make someone choose this exhaust over the 2.5 inch system. It may not be a lot or enough to feel the difference but a couple whp here and there on mods will add up and you will feel the difference after you get a whole set up together. Its a no brainer to get the 3 inch system after Perrins recently blog posts. If you dont like the sound of the 3 inch then get the 2.5 inch.
'

You wouldn't feel 5whp whatsoever. It would barely make a difference in the performance of your car....by itself.

As you said, multiple mods adding 3-5whp here and there, definitely makes a difference.

I personally would get the 3" because it sounds better IMO
Jason@DSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #33
Norcalmav23

Drives: SWP Limited manual BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubBrZ View Post
Same boat... I ordered the 3 inch front pipe, and will be switching out the 2.5 inch catback down the road... is there any sort of trade in possibly? Anything we can do other than post it in the classifieds to sell it... then order the 3.0? Maybe people that ordered the 2.5 inch directly from Perrin's website can get some special coupon code to use when they purchase the 3.0 from Perrin's website?
- Clear Bra - 35% tint - Fa20 club intake - Rev Works header - Perrin OP - 3 inch FP - Resonated CB - Perrin LW crank pulley - Fortune Auto 500 V4 coil overs... pinky sized gap - Full CS knock off poly lip kit - JDM clear side markers - RPF1 18x8 - 35 offset - square 225-18-40 - Perrin shifter bushing - KartBoy positive shift kit - Hawk HPS pads - SS Lines - Visconti e85 tuned
Norcalmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #34
PERRIN_Mladen

Drives: '11 535i
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubBrZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalmav23 View Post
Same boat... I ordered the 3 inch front pipe, and will be switching out the 2.5 inch catback down the road... is there any sort of trade in possibly? Anything we can do other than post it in the classifieds to sell it... then order the 3.0? Maybe people that ordered the 2.5 inch directly from Perrin's website can get some special coupon code to use when they purchase the 3.0 from Perrin's website?

I'm sorry, but I do not think that trading in the exhaust will be a possible thing .

However, I will help you out when you do decide order the 3" exhaust from us. Just shoot me a PM and I will see what I can do for you guys.
PERRIN_Mladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #35
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I have the 3" (turbo'ed car) and it's by far the best sounding 4 cyl exhaust I've ever heard. It's really pretty amazing. Very mature sound. And my god when that turbo spools up, it's incredible. Still pretty quiet, but just a beautiful noise. No farts or droning whatsoever either. I couldn't be happier with it.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #36
PrimeMotoring

Drives: FRS with 2jz, 2015 STI 9.68@147
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Garage
Since we've installed both 3" res and non-res systems here (great product btw Perrin!) we made a video to have you guys hear the difference. Both cars are stock header/overpipe/front pipe.

[ame]http://youtu.be/pwhCWSwi4mo[/ame]
PrimeMotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PrimeMotoring For This Useful Post:
Bitbang (01-18-2014), CARNZ (11-06-2013), illmatic (11-06-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 01:31 AM   #37
scarfo

Drives: gts 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Would going the resonated catback with a catted header and resonated front pipe be over kill.? Would it be better to have a resonater in the front pipe or cat back?
scarfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #38
CARNZ
CHECK ENGINE

Drives: 2004 STi
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Love the sound of the Perrin 3 inch resonated C/B

Going to order one soon, RallySportDirect still had a 3 inch front pipe in stock from Perrin so I ordered that today, wanted to get one before they were all gone
Old 11-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #39
PERRIN_Christina
Banned

Drives: 2011 WRX
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZtoni View Post
dont mean to thread jack but.. i just installed my perrin catback and it sounds
awesome. but...... how can i adjust it to make it even. my driver side sticks out
more than my passenger side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpider View Post
My drivers side sticks out about .5-.75" more as well. I'm ignoring it at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy racer View Post
Yea my driver side is out more than passenger side , how to make it even?

Alright, I see that @BRZtoni made a new thread about this and got an answer from @PERRIN_Mladen, but I wanted to make sure that @KSpider and @speedyracer got the answer, too!

Loosen the two v-bands on the S pipe, the connection to the mid pipe, and the connection to the muffler.

Then twist the S pipe to move the muffler to the desired location, then re-tighten the V bands, and you are done!

Hope that helps!
PERRIN_Christina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PERRIN_Christina For This Useful Post:
speedy racer (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #40
NewR

Drives: BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeMotoring View Post
Since we've installed both 3" res and non-res systems here (great product btw Perrin!) we made a video to have you guys hear the difference. Both cars are stock header/overpipe/front pipe.

They finally let me post.. my very first post by the way.

Ok, I like the sound of the white car. This white one has Perrin 3" cat-back resonated with everything esle stock?

Who has the best deal and how much shipped to 95630? Since I am new I am not sure if they allow me to receive PMs. If not, please email to typer1407@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks.
NewR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewR For This Useful Post:
PrimeMotoring (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #41
PrimeMotoring

Drives: FRS with 2jz, 2015 STI 9.68@147
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewR View Post
They finally let me post.. my very first post by the way.

Ok, I like the sound of the white car. This white one has Perrin 3" cat-back resonated with everything esle stock?

Who has the best deal and how much shipped to 95630? Since I am new I am not sure if they allow me to receive PMs. If not, please email to typer1407@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks.
Sending you a PM and email right now
PrimeMotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #42
NewR

Drives: BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeMotoring View Post
Sending you a PM and email right now
Thank you! Got your PM and email.

Need to do more Youtube search on this system for more sound samples.

Would you say that the non-resonated is more "raspy" than the resonated setup?
NewR is offline   Reply With Quote