follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fog Light Harness

I've bought the GT86 fog light bezels for my FRS and about to buy the OEM H11 Outback fog-lights like some others on these forums, but I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this harness from Nigel JDM parts?

http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/lights...h-onoff-switch

I understand to truly make it JDM-like, I should get the OEM stalk with the fog light switch to get the factory fog-light indicator to come on, but this seems to be a simpler and less costly option. Curious as to why Nigel is carrying this as "JDM" part too...
Old 06-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
mezdup

Drives: 2014 Ice Silver WRX
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
I've bought the GT86 fog light bezels for my FRS and about to buy the OEM H11 Outback fog-lights like some others on these forums, but I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this harness from Nigel JDM parts?

http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/lights...h-onoff-switch

I understand to truly make it JDM-like, I should get the OEM stalk with the fog light switch to get the factory fog-light indicator to come on, but this seems to be a simpler and less costly option. Curious as to why Nigel is carrying this as "JDM" part too...
a bunch of people including myself bought this harness. you can find some reviews and what not in the original fog lights thread.

the kit does have everything you need, but i had to extend some cables to make it useful. everything is very short. the fog light button feels pretty cheap but works fine and it fits into the USB/AUX spot in the car perfectly. overall a good kit, but you'll likely have to extend some of the cables.

mezdup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mezdup For This Useful Post:
mit_peid (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
usmc1341

Drives: 2013 scion fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Get the stalk and do it the JDM way IMO.
usmc1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #4
ahquit

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezdup View Post
a bunch of people including myself bought this harness. you can find some reviews and what not in the original fog lights thread.

the kit does have everything you need, but i had to extend some cables to make it useful. everything is very short. the fog light button feels pretty cheap but works fine and it fits into the USB/AUX spot in the car perfectly. overall a good kit, but you'll likely have to extend some of the cables.

Is there a specific gauge or type of wire that needs to be used to extend the wires? mine are short as well which leaves no slack to route the wires properly.

I'm quite disappointed with this aspect of the nigel-jdm fog light harness. There's only so many ways you can run the wires and I can't see a way that would leave you with enough spare wire to be able to run them along existing factory wires so they're not looking so out of place.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
ahquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
mezdup

Drives: 2014 Ice Silver WRX
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahquit View Post
Is there a specific gauge or type of wire that needs to be used to extend the wires? mine are short as well which leaves no slack to route the wires properly.

I'm quite disappointed with this aspect of the nigel-jdm fog light harness. There's only so many ways you can run the wires and I can't see a way that would leave you with enough spare wire to be able to run them along existing factory wires so they're not looking so out of place.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
i think we used 12, but you could really use anything, 16, 18, etc
mezdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:39 AM   #6
Wizardhat

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I bought my foglights from Nigel JDM parts before the complete kits came out from Winjet and Sypder with switches that fit OEM style. I did not like the Nigel harness at all or the switch and I did not use them. Instead I did some research on the factory fogs and learned how to use the factory wiring already in the car complete with relay. I picked up a Winjet kit just for the switch and chopped up a harness from Didode Dynamics for the power/ground connection between the fog lights and the car wiring. Power for the fogs is on the turn signal connector which is above each parking light and hard to remove from its clips without the bumper removed. There is a plug in an unused slot on one side with the corresponding opposite wire being the fog power supply already to go. Used a T-dap slice to connect the power to the lights each side and then ran the ground to the ground locations on each side of the chassis. Only need about about a foot for the power and maybe two feet for the ground. One is basically closing an open circuit which is what the OEM Kit does. To hook up the switch I opened up the lower dash and cut off the factory connector that the OEM kit uses and cut off the wires from the Winjet switch leaving enough to splice the switch to the OEM wiring. There are four wires,, Yellow black went to the switch ground, White was power to the switch, and the other two (I dont remember their colors, sorry) connected to the relay and to the switch light. The Winjet switch goes in where the blank is next to the dimmer wheel. No drilling or having to adapt. Results: Fog lights operate like OEM. Dash inidicator works, fogs turn off automatically when high beams come on , fog lights can be turned on and off at will. Only exception is that the switch lights inversely to the dimmer control. I keep the dimmer at halfway and everything is even. At this point in time one just needs one kit from Winjet or Spyder (their switch setup is more OEM styled than Winjet and use the parts for the above. Here is a link to the OEM fog light install directions from Scion.
http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT413-18130inst.pdf

It has all the pictures that illustrate what I did as well as step by step instructions.

Last edited by Wizardhat; 06-20-2014 at 02:41 AM. Reason: editing misspelling
Wizardhat is offline   Reply With Quote