follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
Hagfish

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sadly dropped off the new FRS at the dealer today for the paint job.. I overheard them say they're going to drive it down to service king.. I've had mostly positive experiences with them in the past, so hoping for the best.. Forgot to look at the mileage on my car before handing it over- just hoping for no joy rides!
Hagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #16
Frostyman

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I had one of those bubbles on my roof, it popped, so now the grey primer under the paint is showing.
Frostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #17
Hagfish

Well- I got the car back today and as far as I can tell, everything looks great! Bubbles or whatever they were are definitely gone. I'm still not sure if they ended up painting the whole panel or just touched up that spot... I was going to post a picture, but I'm a little scared that one of you with a more trained eye will see something I don't and it'll drive me crazy..
Old 01-25-2014, 11:40 PM   #18
Hagfish

Ok- so I now have noticed something now since getting it back from the dealership/paint shop. How ironic that they have fixed the paint bubbles and created a new type of bubble.. It looks like they had to take off the clear guard under the door for the paint job, and when reapplying it, there's 2 nice sized bubbles of soap and/or wax inside the clear guard.. Is this stuff sticky and durable enough for me to peel it back, wipe that crud off and reapply? Or is it likely they will just disappear over time?

Old 01-26-2014, 12:44 AM   #19
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
You can try to work out the bubbles with a credit card if they are still fresh, pop the bubbles with a needle and work out the air or have them remove and reinstall new vinyl door protectors.

When you apply vinyl you first wet the surfaces with a soapy watery solution. This allow you to reposition the decal if needed. When correct you then squeege out the water from behind the decal working from the center outward. It appears to me like it is just some of the air/soap/moisture still trapped. It is hard to tell from the pictures. It also could be left over polishing compound but, it would be pretty hard to install clear vinyl over it without the tech noticing it...
Kiske is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
Hagfish (01-26-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 03:32 AM   #20
Hagfish

Thanks for the suggestion I'll probably give it a week or so, then try popping em (as long as that doesn't create new problems from rain and other condensation).. From what I can tell it looks like they roughly peeled it off since one of the sides of the film looks a little bit torn and maybe they just didn't make a great effort to get it back on perfectly. I guess I could go back to the dealership again, but it's 30 miles away and not sure if it's worth it. Kind of annoying though.