follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Carolina Dyno

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Turbo Kit & Shop Car Build

We've just recently purchased this FR-S as our new shop car and R&D vehicle. We've been working on some chassis parts but we finally got some time to spend on our turbo setup.

We're just mocking things up right now but we've got a few parts made and the manifold started. Our kit will be at aimed at people looking to make higher than average power, based around a divided T4 double slip collector with mulitple turbo options available, we will likely be using a Borg Warner EFR turbo in our case. This kit will be available in multiple primary sizes and either 321 or 304 stainless tube not pipe like most manifolds. This is a bit more expensive but the gains in power output, durability, and weight are well worth the extra cost.

We're also working on an intake manifold, a direct injection removal kit, and more. Some of these parts are still prototypes and may be changed during testing.

The machined parts are (left to right): HP fuel pump block off, hub spacers, throttle body flange, intake manfiold flanges.

We've a few other things in the works as well, some of which we have CAD previews of below.

Left to right: MAF block with 3" radius, fuel rail, exhaust manifold flange, MAP block
Carolina Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carolina Dyno For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (12-16-2013), CSG Mike (12-17-2013), kask2_6.0 (12-17-2013), OICU812 (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Frostyman

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Very nice! Looking forward to seeing the future here.
Frostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
More power then I'm looking to make, but this should be an interesting thread. I can't wait to see the outcome.

What's the motivation to block off the DI system?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Carolina Dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
More power then I'm looking to make, but this should be an interesting thread. I can't wait to see the outcome.

What's the motivation to block off the DI system?
One less point of failure, and considering how many failures there have been it's something I'd rather not deal with on a track car. We will be looking into a fix for the seals for people that are interested in keeping it and we will not remove it until after we run the turbo kit and have a good tune in place but ultimately we likely won't be keeping it.

While there are advantages to DI and I'm sure it will take over in the future right now it is far to expensive to upgrade the pumps and injectors to be able to support the power we are after reliably. We will have to run so much port injection that the DI would literally be nothing but extra weight and something to break.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carolina Dyno For This Useful Post:
Calum (12-17-2013), CSG Mike (12-17-2013), mrk1 (01-22-2014), vgi (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Dyno View Post
One less point of failure, and considering how many failures there have been it's something I'd rather not deal with on a track car. We will be looking into a fix for the seals for people that are interested in keeping it and we will not remove it until after we run the turbo kit and have a good tune in place but ultimately we likely won't be keeping it.

While there are advantages to DI and I'm sure it will take over in the future right now it is far to expensive to upgrade the pumps and injectors to be able to support the power we are after reliably. We will have to run so much port injection that the DI would literally be nothing but extra weight and something to break.
Really great explanation. Thanks.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Are you planning on building a low compression block?

The reason everyone is able to go FI on our engines with such high compression is because of the cooling effects from the DI system.

From what I've gathered, unless you drop the compression, running only port injection won't give the best results with the stock block and high compression.

This engine was also designed with DI in mind, and I know the piston tops have a special shape to accommodate the DI.
A port-only injection setup might call for different shaped pistons as well.

IF you do go with low compression and only port injection, and are going for big power, you'll be breaking new ground. I wish you the best and will watch your results.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Carolina Dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Are you planning on building a low compression block?

The reason everyone is able to go FI on our engines with such high compression is because of the cooling effects from the DI system.

From what I've gathered, unless you drop the compression, running only port injection won't give the best results with the stock block and high compression.

This engine was also designed with DI in mind, and I know the piston tops have a special shape to accommodate the DI.
A port-only injection setup might call for different shaped pistons as well.

IF you do go with low compression and only port injection, and are going for big power, you'll be breaking new ground. I wish you the best and will watch your results.
The piston shape is definitely not ideal for port injection alone and we will eventually change it. That being said 12.5:1 and boost is far from unheard of, it's not the safest route on pump gas but it can and has been done. With big cams it's actually pretty safe. On a race car running ethanol or any decent race fuel it's a total non-issue. Even when we do have pistons made we likely won't lower compression.

The main reason people lower compression is to open up the tuning window. If you are at 12.5:1 under a decent amount of boost there isn't much margin for error. If you lower it to say 10:1 just about anyone can tune it and come through ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to Carolina Dyno For This Useful Post:
charged86 (01-27-2014)
Old 12-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Jesse@JDLAutodesign

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
What EMS are you running?

Nice to see a post with some different stuff! Very interesting! I'm working on an intake manifold myself also.

Jesse
Jesse@JDLAutodesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Carolina Dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse@JDLAutodesign View Post
What EMS are you running?

Nice to see a post with some different stuff! Very interesting! I'm working on an intake manifold myself also.

Jesse
Right now I'm using open source but as soon as I have the base maps we need I'll be using a MoTeC M1.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

Drives: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Dyno View Post
The piston shape is definitely not ideal for port injection alone and we will eventually change it. That being said 12.5:1 and boost is far from unheard of, it's not the safest route on pump gas but it can and has been done. With big cams it's actually pretty safe. On a race car running ethanol or any decent race fuel it's a total non-issue. Even when we do have pistons made we likely won't lower compression.

The main reason people lower compression is to open up the tuning window. If you are at 12.5:1 under a decent amount of boost there isn't much margin for error. If you lower it to say 10:1 just about anyone can tune it and come through ok.
You said big cams!! WHERE I WANT SOME!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Carolina Dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftEightSix View Post
You said big cams!! WHERE I WANT SOME!
At this point you would have to lose the direct injection but we could put a kit together for you. If you're interested email me at ben@carolinadyno.com and well get you sorted out.

A few companies were hopeful at PRI that they would release DI compatible cams but nothing so far.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #12
Carolina Dyno

Our turbo for the prototype kit finally arrived this morning. Thanks to our friends at Full-Race for hooking us up with this Borg Warner EFR 7670. The kit will be based around this turbo, but everything from the 7064 to the 9180 will be an option.

The Following User Says Thank You to Carolina Dyno For This Useful Post:
charged86 (01-27-2014)