follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #141
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Considering he backed this project and said it's more likely to make production then the convertable (still not likely imo) I find that to not be an accurate assumption.

Also kind of a wierd you chose an option that made him dead instead of some other figure of speech...
Well I'm wrong then. I just didn't think Tada would even consider this. The dead Tada san comment just was a way to be dramatic.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #142
stevesnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
But seriously, what would you need to fit in the trunk that would make it so desirable to want one of these?
Someone always needs to put junk in their trunk

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
NemesisPrime909 (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 10:13 PM   #143
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 91 Toyota Supra 16 Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
as long as the visibility is good in the back, build it and send it to the states
Old 05-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #144
stevesnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisPrime909 View Post
as long as the visibility is good in the back, build it and send it to the states
If it comes here I will smash my LandCruiser into the first one I see

My 2016 Build thread

Old 05-06-2016, 10:24 PM   #145
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm sorry but what's the point of doing this? If you want a wagon, buy a car designed as a wagon. As mentioned before, doing this adds weight, makes it less rigid, and only adds a tiny bit of height to what you can store in the trunk. It would be totally retarded for Toyota or Subaru to invest any time into producing this. Just get one of the many wagons already out there.

But seriously, what would you need to fit in the trunk that would make it so desirable to want one of these? It just boggles my mind...
If done right there is certainly a market for this. It is not the sports car crowd but still a legitimate market. The majority of the coupes are not sold to people that hang out on forums and debate hp numbers but to Jane and Joe average driver that want a nice little second car. The increased cargo space and a altered rear seat that is actually usable would be a huge draw to those that want a more rounded use vehicle.
It is not that long ago that the minivan then SUV and crossovers pushed the traditional family sedan or station wagon aside as market leaders and that was all done based sold on practicality and hauling abilities.
Now that said I doubt that the North Americian buyers would flock to this but it could corner yet another niche market.
Dadhawk (05-07-2016), NemesisPrime909 (05-07-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 10:38 PM   #146
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

Improving brand image and driving sales of a base model? Hell yeah, pony cars have been doing that for decades, but that's not an argument that justifies an 86 shooting brake.

This. All day long this!
The manufacturers do not make performance cars to sell performance cars. They make them to promote and sell the volume vehicles. Sure they make a big deal about the GTs, S and R versions of their cars but that is be able to flog the ESs, LTs and base models at a much greater margins. It has been this way for decades.
Dadhawk (05-07-2016), strat61caster (05-07-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #147
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I love the funky look of the Ferrari FF and the BMW Z3M, unfortunately the rear just doesn't quite look right on this concept. It can be fixed, and if it is I hope it goes to market! At worst it can be an ugly stepchild, at best it could be legendary.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #148
airjonny

Drives: Nissan Murano
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Higher performance 86? Nah that messes with the purity. But hey check out this station wagon! Notice me Jalopnik senpai!!
airjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to airjonny For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (05-06-2016), p1l0t (05-06-2016), soulreapersteve (05-07-2016), Tcoat (05-07-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 11:26 PM   #149
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If done right there is certainly a market for this. It is not the sports car crowd but still a legitimate market. The majority of the coupes are not sold to people that hang out on forums and debate hp numbers but to Jane and Joe average driver that want a nice little second car. The increased cargo space and a altered rear seat that is actually usable would be a huge draw to those that want a more rounded use vehicle.
It is not that long ago that the minivan then SUV and crossovers pushed the traditional family sedan or station wagon aside as market leaders and that was all done based sold on practicality and hauling abilities.
Now that said I doubt that the North Americian buyers would flock to this but it could corner yet another niche market.
But I mean... If I wanted more convenience for back-seat passengers and more trunk space, I would get something designed with that in mind in the first place. And I would probably just get something with 4 doors too, like a WRX. Making a wagon out of a compact sports coupe with only a few inches of height added to the trunk area is just silly to me.
p1l0t (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 11:42 PM   #150
Tcoat

Quote:
But I mean... If I wanted more convenience for back-seat passengers and more trunk space, I would get something designed with that in mind in the first place. And I would probably just get something with 4 doors too, like a WRX. Making a wagon out of a compact sports coupe with only a few inches of height added to the trunk area is just silly to me.
Yep all that is completely logical and I agree completely. You know it wasn't originally designed for that and the rest of this forum knows that as well but 98.88888% of the car buying public don't know nor care. We are the car nerds with enough knowledge that even consider such things. To most of the people buying cars it is more "oh look shiny I will take it".
The whole change the roof line and add a hatch is what I meant when I said they need to do it right if they want to draw in the "enthusiast" crowd. We will not be fooled by some slightly changed lines and would expect more. Again though we are the exception not the rule. Like the RS2 we are not the target market for this concept.
Bristecom (05-07-2016), NemesisPrime909 (05-07-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 11:55 PM   #151
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I have never seen an attractive shooting brake. I just do not understand te attraction some folks have for them but to each their own. Interesting that it has the old body style and wheels. This must not be a new concept or maybe it is not that official or it seems like they would have at least put the new front end and wheels on it.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:05 AM   #152
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 91 Toyota Supra 16 Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
If it comes here I will smash my LandCruiser into the first one I see
1. Waste of a Land Cruiser

2. potential vehicular manslaughter

3. You could also die in the process

I don't know about you but I don't think that's worth it.

/joke
stevesnj (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 12:30 AM   #153
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm sorry but what's the point of doing this? If you want a wagon, buy a car designed as a wagon. As mentioned before, doing this adds weight, makes it less rigid, and only adds a tiny bit of height to what you can store in the trunk. It would be totally retarded for Toyota or Subaru to invest any time into producing this. Just get one of the many wagons already out there.

But seriously, what would you need to fit in the trunk that would make it so desirable to want one of these? It just boggles my mind...
They wanted to make sure you had plenty to complain about for your fifth year of bitching about a car you're not going to buy.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Cole (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 12:42 AM   #154
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
They wanted to make sure you had plenty to complain about for your fifth year of bitching about a car you're not going to buy.
I was just asking a question. I design things and from a designer's perspective, it makes no sense to me. I've stated what I wanted from the start, which the current cars don't quite have and the refresh/update isn't out yet. I'll be buying a 2017 BRZ when they come out and I'll be glad I waited. You seem to like to give me a hard time on here for stating my opinions and not owning one yet. I'm obviously not a hater of this car - I just wanted to see it progress in a positive direction.