follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #29
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Sorry for reviving the dead but I need some help. I'm installing sway bars and the end link length is something that always troubles me. I've installed the sway bar with the car on jackstands, all 4 sides. Is this the correct way or must the suspension be loaded at regular ride height to avoid any preload? One of my endlinks is slightly longer than the other in order to not have any preload, why in the world is this so? I have white line adjustable end links btw. if I had not allow the suspension to drop I wouldn't have noticed the end links hit the control arm, the distance isn't the same at full drop as opposed to loaded suspension. Thanks
@Hotchkis
Old 07-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #30
cowdog360

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the super clear instructions. Did my Perrin 19mm front swaybar in about 2 hours. Just drove it up on ramps, used a jack to raise hte car a little while leaving the tires on the ramps. Honestly, the part that seemed to take the longest was removing and re-installing the two covers.
cowdog360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:12 PM   #31
FutureFT86

Drives: 13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
Sorry for reviving the dead but I need some help. I'm installing sway bars and the end link length is something that always troubles me. I've installed the sway bar with the car on jackstands, all 4 sides. Is this the correct way or must the suspension be loaded at regular ride height to avoid any preload? One of my endlinks is slightly longer than the other in order to not have any preload, why in the world is this so? I have white line adjustable end links btw. if I had not allow the suspension to drop I wouldn't have noticed the end links hit the control arm, the distance isn't the same at full drop as opposed to loaded suspension. Thanks
@Hotchkis
Good question, i'm wondering this also! Seeing as the only way I can adjust my swaybar is with the car on jackstands I wonder how preloading works with the adjustable endlinks.
FutureFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #32
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFT86 View Post
Good question, i'm wondering this also! Seeing as the only way I can adjust my swaybar is with the car on jackstands I wonder how preloading works with the adjustable endlinks.
Do so in jack stands, when the suspension is loaded(car on floor or ramp) the bottom part of the endlink will be farther away from the control arm so you won't know for sure if it hits when suspension droops. i did it on ramps and when I raised the car and put it on jack stands, the endlink hit the control arm, adjusted while on stands once more and it was perfect afterwards. I learned the hard way.
FutureFT86 (07-23-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #33
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what's the torque specs for the bolts on step 3R? (rear bushing brackets)

IG: @MonKehC
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #34
Prmspen
Student Driver

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Thanks for this DIY. I installed mine on the weekend. It took longer than expected, but I wouldn't have been able to do it without your instructions and pictures. My first sway bar install done!
Prmspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #35
Cueman

Drives: In Perfect Control At All Times
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just picked up a rear sway bar to try on my street class auto-xer, and am a bit confused by the bridge plate.

Is there supposed to be a cutout in the chassis side mount for the bridge plate to fit in? I can't find one on my car. The bridge plate doesn't seem to sit flush to anything.

I've currently installed the bar without it... although I noticed that the retaining collars can't sit flush to the bushing because there isn't adequate clearance to chassis mount.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #36
Nitro22

Drives: Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cueman View Post
I just picked up a rear sway bar to try on my street class auto-xer, and am a bit confused by the bridge plate.

Is there supposed to be a cutout in the chassis side mount for the bridge plate to fit in? I can't find one on my car. The bridge plate doesn't seem to sit flush to anything.

I've currently installed the bar without it... although I noticed that the retaining collars can't sit flush to the bushing because there isn't adequate clearance to chassis mount.
The rear mount on the subframe should have a "valley" that the booby on the bridge plate takes up. What year is your car? Do you have any pictures of the mount?

Thanks,
-Aaron
Nitro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nitro22 For This Useful Post:
Cueman (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #37
Cueman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro22 View Post
The rear mount on the subframe should have a "valley" that the booby on the bridge plate takes up. What year is your car? Do you have any pictures of the mount?

Thanks,
-Aaron
Thanks for your response!

Mine is a 2015, so surely I'm not the first. Odd. I'll take it apart and snap some pics.
Cueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:10 PM   #38
Cueman

Replacing a TRD rear sway bar, I realized I had the TRD reinforcement plate installed. If TRD thought the plate was needed for their bar, it's surely a good idea for the Hotchkis, so I just left it on and put the Hotchkis bridge plate back in the box.

Cueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:31 PM   #39
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm planning on installing my front sway bar on my car on Sunday and will be reusing my stock endlinks.

Any tips on loading the front suspension when installing the end links? I'll be working on jackstands so I'm not sure how to proceed. Just don't want any clunking going on. I'm on stock suspension.
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #40
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Does anyone know what thread pitch the 10mm and 12mm skid plate bolts are?

Are the 12mm bolts for the metal skid plate and the 10mm for the transmission one or the opposite?

Thanks!
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote