follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #981
mjanmohammad

Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Just ordered my kit!

EL, GT2860, recirc wastegate, bronze coating, wrinkle red charge piping, and the pre-welded pan. Can't wait to install it!
Old 12-28-2017, 11:27 PM   #982
Vizard424

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/ Performance Package
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Innovate LC-2 ECM Logging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse36m3 View Post
I'm thinking about going with a p3 gauge then using an Innovative LC-2 to feed the gauge's aux input wideband AFR.. Then program the other LC-2 output into ecutek for logging.

Wondering if anybody else has gone down this route and how it turned out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
Ive done this multiple times before. Talk with your tuner first. They might not even care about logging your wideband. I personally trust my own wideband and not user installed. I have a post somewhere talking about the accuracy of the OEM wideband, and showing logs against my innovate wideband showing how close it is. I tune these cars and I don't even use a wideband on my own car. Its "close enough". I have a P3 gauge but I just use it for oil / coolant temps. I have boost cut and closed loop fueling and i don't need to be staring at my AFR while I drive... I need to be looking at the road. =)
Not a tuner but in my experience this tends to not work out too well. Did exactly the Innovate setup on my old boosted RX-8 and my tuner flipped out on me apparently the Innovate unit (older LSU 4.2 sensor/controller btw) has a slower polling rate than what is reported by the ECM...he had gaps in the data. Not only that but the position of the wideband put it in a slightly different position than he was used to and was not getting the adjustments he was expecting from over the air tuning.

I'm pretty sure if you can position the sensor to have better than OEM location (not sure if it's possible) and tuning on a dyno so they can directly measure changes on the fly it might work. Keep in mind tho that the OEM sensor is designed to not require service/calibrations throughout its life span. One thing I hated about my Innovate unit was that it required constant air cals to maintain accuracy
Vizard424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:06 PM   #983
Jesse36m3

Drives: JDL Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Just got my kit in today and i'm pretty bummed .. was going to start working on it tomorrow but:

- I got a dump tube instead of recirculated downpipe
- Ordered all black cold side piping but the intercooler was left unpainted
- Gave me the wrong turbo - ordered a 2867R and got a 2860R

Called up 86Speed where I ordered it from and they said they were going to get in touch with JDL to make it right. Must have been super rushing before Christmas to get it out the door. Everything else looks great though.

The wait continues ..

Also, if anybody has installed the no-cut intercooler option - take a look at your intercooler and tell me if you have any holes drilled in your bracket? I just have two solid metal L-brackets on either side .. not sure if that is something I have to figure out myself or ..?
Jesse36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:07 AM   #984
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Just got my kit in today and i'm pretty bummed .. was going to start working on it tomorrow but:

- I got a dump tube instead of recirculated downpipe
- Ordered all black cold side piping but the intercooler was left unpainted
- Gave me the wrong turbo - ordered a 2867R and got a 2860R

Called up 86Speed where I ordered it from and they said they were going to get in touch with JDL to make it right. Must have been super rushing before Christmas to get it out the door. Everything else looks great though.

The wait continues ..

Also, if anybody has installed the no-cut intercooler option - take a look at your intercooler and tell me if you have any holes drilled in your bracket? I just have two solid metal L-brackets on either side .. not sure if that is something I have to figure out myself or ..?
The V1 kits did not have pre-dilled L brackets.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:25 PM   #985
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Drives: 15' LTD Subaru BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Got the car back after install/tune on the 23rd. Merry Christmas to me right?

I was pretty skeptical about driving the car from Orlando all the way to Georgia but I stopped several times, just in case.

I love the feeling of this kit with Jame's tune and this turbo. I love how I can stay within a respectable RPM range and still have a blast. There is no longer a necessity to get above 4200 RPMs to have fun, like with the header. Perfectly satisfied staying between 2000 and 3000 and use the rest, when someone...... well, when needed lol.. Sounds awesome, looks beautiful, feels, excellent.

What's everybody's Oil Temperatures and AFRs (on 93 octane) been like, can anyone relate?
I did like one pull with an frs for giggles, it was like 40 degrees outside, then hopped on the highway, got off and Oil Temp was at 226 the highest. Reasonable?

Instagram: 86_Maul
ShadowReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #986
Jesse36m3

Drives: JDL Turbo BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
The V1 kits did not have pre-dilled L brackets.
I have a V2 kit.

Making progress, but these brackets just don't make sense to me. I can see they are angled out so it appears they would countour the curve of the oem crash beam, however the intercooler is sitting as far back as possible. You can see the charge pipe nearly touching the a/c heat exchange. I'll keep playing with it and see where it goes.

Looking back on page 24, this picture was posted. Brackets are closer together and not sticking out as far. I dunno.

Jesse36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #987
Captain

Drives: 15' Raven FR-S
not sure to say, I'm on the 9.4psi spring on the gt2860rs putting down 240whp/200tq atm. Relatively Im sure there is more room for power with only the 9.4 spring operating the boost level. Picked up the grimmspeed ebcs and wondering if cranking out another 1-2psi would put down another 15-25whp. Still new to the boost game, bear with me haha
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #988
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Quote:
I have a V2 kit.

Making progress, but these brackets just don't make sense to me. I can see they are angled out so it appears they would countour the curve of the oem crash beam, however the intercooler is sitting as far back as possible. You can see the charge pipe nearly touching the a/c heat exchange. I'll keep playing with it and see where it goes.

Looking back on page 24, this picture was posted. Brackets are closer together and not sticking out as far. I dunno.

I have v2. I took it to a shop for install, they ended up just taking the crash beam out..

Old 01-11-2018, 02:32 AM   #989
CHMBRZ

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited
How do you mount the spacer on the under side of the intercooler through the under tray?
CHMBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:37 AM   #990
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

I guess the JDL kit owners are out there having fun and disappearing from the forums lol

For those that are still on the forums, what clutch are you guys/girls (say no to sexism) running?

-Not interested in Pucks

Old 01-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #991
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Exedy Stage 1, I love it. How much power are you making, going to make if you are planning on making more in the future?
Old 01-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #992
mjanmohammad

Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowReaper View Post
I guess the JDL kit owners are out there having fun and disappearing from the forums lol

For those that are still on the forums, what clutch are you guys/girls (say no to sexism) running?

-Not interested in Pucks
I have the SB Stage 2, love it.

I don't actually have the kit yet, but we installed the clutch last week to have it broken in by the time we get it.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #993
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
Exedy Stage 1, I love it. How much power are you making, going to make if you are planning on making more in the future?
I havent dyno'd yet. I have GT 2860r on a 7 psi spring but tuned by James on 10 psi. Im looking to remain on pump gas. My OEM clutch hasnt slipped once but I smell clutch randomly everytime I drive now and that thing aint built for that much power anyways.

Heard good things from South bend and clutch masters.

Did you only install the exedy clutch or did you add flywheel or other things around that? and does it have a light pedal feel?

Old 01-19-2018, 05:21 AM   #994
grichardt

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Act xt street clutch. Capable of 350 ft lbs which gives me some headroom if I decide to go e85 on my base kit.