follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #15
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Would constantly flashing and re-flashing eventually harm the car? Last car I had the service center did the flashing and re-flashing on and it was encouraged to "get the best out of your car" Also I never got grief about warranties. Come to think of it I never got grief about warranty in any of my cars when I put mods on them. I really don't even know if half of them noticed the mods hmph

I did get an illegal tint ticket once
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #16
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsFRS View Post
Would constantly flashing and re-flashing eventually harm the car? Last car I had the service center did the flashing and re-flashing on and it was encouraged to "get the best out of your car" Also I never got grief about warranties. Come to think of it I never got grief about warranty in any of my cars when I put mods on them. I really don't even know if half of them noticed the mods hmph

I suppose it may fragment the memory? Probably not at a rate that could be detrimental. Race cars do it all the time for testing so I wouldn't worry. Worst case scenario you replace the ecu but I've never heard of this happening
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:31 PM   #17
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Then I'll just defragment!
Works for windows!
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:39 PM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I am with the just leave it crowd as far as maintenance goes. If going in for related warranty work I would probably reflash but not sure how much it would help even then. The cars are smarter than you think and really suck at keeping a secret.
Cole (02-13-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (02-13-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #19
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Way too much misinformation and stupidity in the responses that could've been cleared up with a simple search, also why would you even get a tune without doing this research first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
I suppose it may fragment the memory? Probably not at a rate that could be detrimental. Race cars do it all the time for testing so I wouldn't worry. Worst case scenario you replace the ecu but I've never heard of this happening
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsFRS View Post

This is from documentation the great tuning god @steve99 has found:
Guaranteed flash cycles 1000 , typical cycles before failure 10,000
Programming/erasing control program included as firmware of the ECU itself

Although if you go an flash the car on a low battery your flipping the coin on whether or not you'll brick the ecu, and I've heard peoples OBD2 socket pins go bad after repeatedly unnecessarily yanking the cable.
Also as a Electrical Engineer/Computer Engineering Major, 2 MB of Tables and other data probably isn't going to fragment especially the way it's stored on the ecu, on a solid state storage solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenzLunch View Post
I was wondering if they mess with the ECU to check anything, cause if they do that then my openflash tablet will not work anymore.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
You're best bet is to flash to stock for dealer services, even though our roms aren't like ecuteks where it's easily visible because the rom locks the ecu, if they decide to say do a TSB which involves the ECU reflash there's no way the OFT will work again. Also I've gone into at least 3 dealer services so far, 1 with a TCM reflash without flashing back to stock with no issues. Techstream cannot detect the tune because it's basically an edited stock rom, you'd need to send the ecu away for anyone to find anything.

This is from @steve99 s post:

Depends on flash device.

Devices such as Open flash Tablet or Tactrix/Ecuflash do not encrypt or lock the tuned ROM. When you flash back a stock ROM with these devices it is 100% stock.

This means the dealer can connect to car with TechStream (dealer software) and interact with the ECU in the normal manner. even if they pulled your ROM its 100% stock.

Tuning Devices such as EcuTek and BRZEdit have the ability to lock and encrypt the ROM in the ECU and Dealers may not be able to connect/re-flash to interact with the car's ECU in some cases if these locked or encrypted (seed key changed) ROM's are left in the car. If you have the required cables and licenses you can flash a "stock" ROM back to your car but it contains license info which if they were really looking they could detect.

OBD code readers or clearing of OBD diagnostic/CEL codes should still work. The ROM encryption/locking generally only effects the ability to read or write/re-flash the tuned ROM.

Dealers use Techstream software to connect to ECU it can read the ROM calibration ID and various engine parameters but no one has found a "flash Counter" yet.

It possible if they sent your ECU away for analysis or they brought in some super guru in they could detect something but this is unlikely at a standard service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sky View Post
oh shit...i am having my 22500 service next week...
My service is covered by toyota and its free of charge...
is my invidia allow ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighty 6 View Post
Yes and keep your fingers crossed they dont notice
Covered maintenance is NOT the same as warranty service it is allowed and you won't have anything to worry about. Unless your dealer is extremely mod unfriendly, I even got my dealer to align my win jets correctly for free......

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenzLunch View Post
Should I flash my car back to stock before going to the dealer for regular maintenance? I have an open flash tablet.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
It's up to you if you have UELs the Stage 2 tune might be the only way you'll pass. Just tell your service advisor to speak to you before doing any ecu or invasive work if it's necessary like a TSB, and say you'll come in an other time to do it. But honestly Openflash Tablet is so user friendly and only takes like 5-6 minutes to flash back to stock so why wouldn't you.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 02-13-2016 at 01:58 PM.
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
86geek (02-13-2016), FR-Sky (02-13-2016), humfrz (02-13-2016), PureShield (02-13-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #20
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Last time i heard from @nelsmar he has done about 1500 flashes, i know several people who have done 300 or more.

OFT will still talk to your ecu if dealer reflashes a new rom to your car. But if you havenot flashed to stock before service then you wont be able to marry up to this new rom. However you will still be able to flash your tined rom over the new dealer flashed rom.

OFT looks at two things your original stock rom calid that its married to and will only flash rom with same calid as your stock one and the VIN number of your car.

The only time you will run into trouble is if the dealer replaces ecu say due to cam issues and the technician at the dealer either dont type the vin into the ecu correctly or they forget to enter the vin. Then oft will refuse to write as vin has changed

Their are no TSB to flash ecu after about late 2013 and any usa car with B01C\D calibration will not need a reflash by dealer at the present time.

Last edited by steve99; 02-13-2016 at 05:44 PM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (02-13-2016)