follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Shad0ez

Drives: 2013 Raven Black
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
suspension installation?? AZ

Hi guys. I am going to be looking to get my suspension done very soon as I have a TERRIBLE case of the mod bug. It's going around and hit me pretty hard

Is there anyone around San Tan Valley, or within 1 hour driving distance willing to do some work on this? More than likely I'll be getting springs, front camber bolts, and lower control arms. There's a chance I'll be getting coilovers instead of the springs, but that's a bit unlikely. I'd be more than happy to help, but my mechanical skills are pretty novice, so I'd feel more inclined to pay someone for the work. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds to pay a shop to do the work.

I'll probably be getting the parts in the next two to three weeks (hopefully I'll have this done and get my wheels before the big event on the 17th, but that might be cutting it too close). Anyone if anyone is up for it, it would be greatly appreciated.
Shad0ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
redsuns03

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Boosted w/ JDL v2.1
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Hey man I live close by. There are many of us that can help you as I did mine with the help of @SMOKETREES @nelsmar and @jeffsides. Just post it on the main az thread and most likely there will be people to help!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Shad0ez

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsuns03 View Post
Hey man I live close by. There are many of us that can help you as I did mine with the help of @SMOKETREES @nelsmar and @jeffsides. Just post it on the main az thread and most likely there will be people to help!
Right on, thanks for the info
Old 11-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
FR-Shadow

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Just my .02 if you can afford it get coilovers. I had springs and as I did love them to get the fitment and look I wanted I had to get coilovers.

If funds are tight and trust me I would fully understand...get the springs.

Also what control arms were you looking on getting? With the whiteline now available if I were you id try to get my hands on a set of those.

Whats your goal?
Tracking the car=decent set of coils like ohlins/kw/etc
slamming it=BC/stance/ksport/etc
normal DD=tein
Old 11-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Shad0ez

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Shadow View Post
Just my .02 if you can afford it get coilovers. I had springs and as I did love them to get the fitment and look I wanted I had to get coilovers.

If funds are tight and trust me I would fully understand...get the springs.

Also what control arms were you looking on getting? With the whiteline now available if I were you id try to get my hands on a set of those.

Whats your goal?
Tracking the car=decent set of coils like ohlins/kw/etc
slamming it=BC/stance/ksport/etc
normal DD=tein
Funds are a bit tight right now, but I do plan on getting coils in the next 6 to 8 months. I wanted something to get me by until then. My setup is going to be Sportlines, SPC rear LCA and whiteline front camber bolts.

Not planning on tracking, just some spirited driving on occasion. I have wheels ordered and should be in this week. Tires and the suspension set up should be ordered by noon so hopefully I'll have everything by Saturday if all the items are in stock.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
FR-Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0ez View Post
Funds are a bit tight right now, but I do plan on getting coils in the next 6 to 8 months. I wanted something to get me by until then. My setup is going to be Sportlines, SPC rear LCA and whiteline front camber bolts.

Not planning on tracking, just some spirited driving on occasion. I have wheels ordered and should be in this week. Tires and the suspension set up should be ordered by noon so hopefully I'll have everything by Saturday if all the items are in stock.

If I may suggest...

LCAs are not required for just a spring drop...I was on TEIN s techs with no LCAs and still within factory spec for rear camber. Save your money as the SPC LCAs dont really give you that much adjustment.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
I have never worked on a car hardly until I owned this one and managed to do LCA's and coilovers on jackstands in an apartment complex. You can do it yourself, save a lot of money, and learn a lot about your car by doing it! Just give yourself enough time. Don't listen to the "It can be done in a few hours" people. They probably had air tools which makes it cake. Hand tools is a bit trickier.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
Shad0ez

Garage
Quote:
If I may suggest...

LCAs are not required for just a spring drop...I was on TEIN s techs with no LCAs and still within factory spec for rear camber. Save your money as the SPC LCAs dont really give you that much adjustment.
I do plan on getting coilovers in the future and I can afford the LCA's right now. I figure that I install them along with the springs and prolong the life of my first set of tires in the rear a tad by getting camber to about -1 degree or so. I think 2 degrees of adjustment should be plenty from the SPC LCA. I'm going to guess I'll be at roughly -2.5 after the drop on the sportlines before any alignment. I do thank you for your insight though
Old 11-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
FR-Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
I have never worked on a car hardly until I owned this one and managed to do LCA's and coilovers on jackstands in an apartment complex. You can do it yourself, save a lot of money, and learn a lot about your car by doing it! Just give yourself enough time. Don't listen to the "It can be done in a few hours" people. They probably had air tools which makes it cake. Hand tools is a bit trickier.
'

This is truth...i also did my suspention twice already in an apartment garage with hand tools. It starts off fast but problems always come up lol.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
'

This is truth...i also did my suspention twice already in an apartment garage with hand tools. It starts off fast but problems always come up lol.
Biggest helpful hand tool? Open ended socket set. This is a MUST for tightening the top hat by hand. I just tightened it by hand real tight as I couldn't find a way to torque it properly. Unless of course your coils have the camber plates and tops already. You're gold if that's the case.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
FR-Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
Biggest helpful hand tool? Open ended socket set. This is a MUST for tightening the top hat by hand. I just tightened it by hand real tight as I couldn't find a way to torque it properly. Unless of course your coils have the camber plates and tops already. You're gold if that's the case.
my coilovers had top hats...but open ended rachet wrenches would be my top fav. it allows you to keep tightening without taking the wrench off the bolts on almost every bolt for suspenion.

but who am i really kidding...best tool to have @Ninjin

wait that didnt sound right...more like best guy to have around to give advice and lend a helping hand.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
redsuns03

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Boosted w/ JDL v2.1
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
my coilovers had top hats...but open ended rachet wrenches would be my top fav. it allows you to keep tightening without taking the wrench off the bolts on almost every bolt for suspenion.

but who am i really kidding...best tool to have @Ninjin

wait that didnt sound right...more like best guy to have around to give advice and lend a helping hand.
Don't forget @SMOKETREES as he has helped a lot in the group with these things.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Bonks86

Drives: Gt-86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
+1 @Ninjin

He helped me with my coilovers, and by help i mean basically installed them himself in about a half hour haha
Bonks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
SMOKETREES
Lowered Lifestyle

Drives: Scion Fr-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsuns03 View Post
Don't forget @SMOKETREES as he has helped a lot in the group with these things.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
I know our suspension very very well. Haha I have tweeks mine since day one and still do and have done many installs

Sent from my HTC One
SMOKETREES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SMOKETREES For This Useful Post:
redsuns03 (11-08-2013)