follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List
CSG Mike, gramicci101, grant86, GrimmSpeed, JDLAutoDesign, JRitt, KCMachine, King Tut, MillersOilsUS, PERRIN, phastafrican, Racecomp Engineering, Raceseng, Roadcone, Sportsguy83, UltramarineLuck, VerusEric, Wonderbar, Xero-Limit

Old 11-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #1961
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickA410 View Post
Haha well I have an assortment of turbo related questions since I'll be new to the turbo scene next year, but for starters, how is the reliability of the kit? and does it pull through the whole rev range?
Haven't had any reliability issues at all! I'd attribute most of that to the tuning from HRI, but the kit is super solid and the components are all very high quality. My GTX2860R Gen2 spools at 3000 RPMs and pulls hard all the way to redline!
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #1962
NickA410

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Haven't had any reliability issues at all! I'd attribute most of that to the tuning from HRI, but the kit is super solid and the components are all very high quality. My GTX2860R Gen2 spools at 3000 RPMs and pulls hard all the way to redline!
Wow, that's awesome man. Now I'm really wanting the JDL kit. You can upgrade the turbo right?

Also 2 quick questions:

1. When starting up the engine/turbo from a cold start (in the morning or whenever), do you have to let the engine idle and (turbo) warm up or could I just drive off and baby the car?

2. Say I get to my destination, would I have to sit idle and let the turbo cool down before I turn it off?

As
NickA410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #1963
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
You can upgrade the turbo right?
Absolutely! The base kit comes with a Precision 4831 billet wheel turbo and upgrades are available for dual ball bearing Garrett GT and GTX turbos!

Quote:
1. When starting up the engine/turbo from a cold start (in the morning or whenever), do you have to let the engine idle and (turbo) warm up or could I just drive off and baby the car?
Warming up for a minute or two is always a good idea but if you're in a hurry its fine to just drive off and stay out of the boost. You should always wait until the engine coolant and oil are up to operating temperature before getting into boost or driving aggressively.

Quote:
2. Say I get to my destination, would I have to sit idle and let the turbo cool down before I turn it off?
That's not really necessary with modern day turbos which have oil restrictors and the Garretts have water cooling so you don't have to worry about oil coking in the bearings from being shut down while hot. If you are coming off of a spirited run or a track session, its a good idea to do a cool-down anyways before shutting the engine off.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:05 PM   #1964
Qc86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 M6
I havent read the whole thread but i was wondering how are the torque solution engine mount? Debating on this or the Cuscos but havent seen a review of them yet!
Qc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #1965
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qc86 View Post
I havent read the whole thread but i was wondering how are the torque solution engine mount? Debating on this or the Cuscos but havent seen a review of them yet!
The install was easier than expected. They fit perfectly. The results were less additional NVH than expected. I really like them for the price.
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
Qc86 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #1966
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Getting some baseline numbers on a Mustang Dyno.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsevkF0EOts"]JDL Turbo Subaru BRZ baseline dyno - YouTube[/ame]

304whp / 255wtq on just the 9.4psi spring and E67 in the tank.

Pretty much what I expected! This turbo isn't even trying. EBCS and more boost soon!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
ApexEight (11-14-2017), cbryant514 (11-14-2017), CkOne (11-19-2017), dattran86 (11-15-2017), Detroiter (11-14-2017), Hicklinc (02-09-2018), pgranberg11 (11-14-2017), stoked_on_spool (11-14-2017), Teseo (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 06:50 PM   #1967
woasuby

Drives: 2007 sti
I spent some time reading through your build, great build!
I've been looking at turbo kits and just had a few questions.
Any reason for choosing jdl over say full blown?
How has cooling/temps been on the track with a front mount turbo kit?
I would like to focus my build around street/track, so reliability and heat management are some areas of consideration for me.
woasuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #1968
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by woasuby View Post
I spent some time reading through your build, great build!
Thanks!

Quote:
Any reason for choosing jdl over say full blown?
In my opinion, JDL has superior quality manifolds and hot parts to many of the current options, including Full Blown. JDL also offer more customization options for their kits, including a bunch of different Precision/Garrett turbos, coatings, housing and flange options, the sky is the limit, really. I really love the UEL rumble and the JDL turbo manifold delivers that superbly. JDL's customer service and support is also excellent so that should be enough reasoning.

Quote:
How has cooling/temps been on the track with a front mount turbo kit?
I would like to focus my build around street/track, so reliability and heat management are some areas of consideration for me.
Temps have been manageable but I have done a few things to keep them under control. My entire kit is ceramic coated. The manifold, down pipe, turbine housing, charge piping, and even my intercooler has a cerakote on it to help dissipate heat. I have a turbo blanket, vented hood, bigger radiator, 1.3 bar radiator cap, 13 row Mocal engine oil cooler, and foam ducting up front to direct air through all the heat exchangers. So far those have allowed the temps to be stable for 20 minute sessions on track.

There's more I can do to help, like getting the hot parts wrapped with inconel alloy shielding but it's very expensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (11-17-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #1969
woasuby

Quote:
Temps have been manageable but I have done a few things to keep them under control. My entire kit is ceramic coated. The manifold, down pipe, turbine housing, charge piping, and even my intercooler has a cerakote on it to help dissipate heat. I have a turbo blanket, vented hood, bigger radiator, 1.3 bar radiator cap, 13 row Mocal engine oil cooler, and foam ducting up front to direct air through all the heat exchangers. So far those have allowed the temps to be stable for 20 minute sessions on track.
Those are alot of provisions, but we'll prepped! How do you think your setup would hold up in longer sessions or back to back sessions or high ambient temps?
Anything you'd do differently/recommendations in terms of airflow or cooling (with a similar turbo setup)?
Old 11-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #1970
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Those are alot of provisions, but we'll prepped! How do you think your setup would hold up in longer sessions or back to back sessions or high ambient temps?
Anything you'd do differently/recommendations in terms of airflow or cooling (with a similar turbo setup)?
I've run the car at Road Atlanta in high ambient temps in August, 95F. Temps were stable once I removed the front grille. I can't think of anything I'd do differently besides spending more money on inconel wrap and aluminum fabricated ducting up front. Bigger hood vents, maybe.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #1971
woasuby

That's reassuring. I was looking into ptunnings kit due to placement, but wasn't a fan of all the charge piping. Jdl and full blown kits seem to have a pretty good record and seem to be quality offerings. I was j ust worried about heat management with a front mount turbo. Thanks for your feed back!
The Following User Says Thank You to woasuby For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (11-15-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 12:59 AM   #1972
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Do you have any updated thoughts on the IRP short shifter? How is it when the trans is cold? Too notchy?
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #1973
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
Do you have any updated thoughts on the IRP short shifter? How is it when the trans is cold? Too notchy?
It still rattles from the button hitting the shaft in 5th gear, even with the provided "fix". It's not notchy on its own, but you do feel the gear engagement much more clearly. So if you had a notchy 2nd gear before with the stock shifter, you'll feel it more pronounced through the IRP. It doesn't ADD notch to any gear. It's just that it's directly bolted to the tunnel and shifter rod, so you hears and feel a lot more of what's going on inside the gearbox. I use Millers gear oil and the trans is much smoother when cold and very smooth when warm.

I still only recommend it for a track application.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (11-17-2017), MisterSheep (11-18-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 09:37 PM   #1974
TheStig85

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Was curious, what's the advantage of the drift/crash bar? Also, didn't see it on your list of mods.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
TheStig85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jdl turbo, mazworx, racecomp engineering, track build, verus engineering