follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #29
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would never go to a new platform before at least 3 years of production. The new impreza has currently below-average reliability because of problems with the in-car electronics.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #30
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
@Cole

The STI rumors are due to UK importer issues. It's not a global thing:
https://jalopnik.com/the-subaru-wrx-...ead-1820051039
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TofuJoe For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 05:33 PM   #31
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Compared to the guy that sold his FRS for a Prius, this is pretty tame. At least he won't be driving a rental half the lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #32
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I don't know why anyone would consider buying a VW group car right now. They are still in a lot of financial trouble as a result of deiselgate and there's no end in sight for the group. Don't underestimate how big this thing is- it's going to fundamentally change the VW group in a lot of ways. Not even to mention the new lawsuit of collusion between the German automakers accused of cartel-like behavior. That cartel-like behavior means you get to over pay for the car and parts when you eventually need service. One of the first things they are cutting (not might cut, but are right now cutting) is warranty service. Their normally poor customer service is getting slashed.

Do some research and forget everything you think you know about Audi. Look before you leap.

There are better choices from better companies in that segment, so why guarantee yourself problems down the line?
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:08 PM   #33
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
VAG sales have been skyrocketing. My main reason to not buy an Audi is because I'm still pissed at their evil acts. It's really a great car otherwise. Well, maybe not reliable, but WTF. I don't think they're going out of business anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
I don't know why anyone would consider buying a VW group car right now. They are still in a lot of financial trouble as a result of deiselgate and there's no end in sight for the group. Don't underestimate how big this thing is- it's going to fundamentally change the VW group in a lot of ways. Not even to mention the new lawsuit of collusion between the German automakers accused of cartel-like behavior. That cartel-like behavior means you get to over pay for the car and parts when you eventually need service. One of the first things they are cutting (not might cut, but are right now cutting) is warranty service. Their normally poor customer service is getting slashed.

Do some research and forget everything you think you know about Audi. Look before you leap.

There are better choices from better companies in that segment, so why guarantee yourself problems down the line?
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:48 PM   #34
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
German cars don't have a reputation of their reliability and the repairs can be quite expensive. There is a difference to re-build a much cheaper Subaru engine, than these ones. I would buy a German car only if I could change it in the end of the warranty period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reni View Post
I don't think it's that German engines are bad, it's more that the rest of the car disintegrates around it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Electronic are the first to go bad in German cars. Unless you can afford to lease one every so years (and be trapped in re-leasing forever), I would never get a German car. Back when I used to sell Toyotas, people would tell me their stories of their ownership of MB, BMW, VW/Audi. A few of them even said the new ones aren't as well made as the older ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammillionaire View Post
Audis are put together with bubblegum and masking tape.
Audi's are high on reliability according to recent surveys.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...they-stack-up/
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #35
Irace86.2.0

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
VAG sales have been skyrocketing. My main reason to not buy an Audi is because I'm still pissed at their evil acts. It's really a great car otherwise. Well, maybe not reliable, but WTF. I don't think they're going out of business anytime soon.
It appears that GM, Fiat and Renault are also to hate...

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/25/news...ing/index.html

And that Audi is setting record sales...

https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/new...ebruary-record

And so are their subsidiaries...

https://behindthewheel.com.au/record...borghini-2017/
Old 11-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #36
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Because certain models VW group are practically giving away due to all of what you describe above. The markdown (as large as 40%) on Jettas, Passats, 2017 and earlier Tiguan, and a handful of other models have been large enough to make up for the first 3-5 years of depreciation on the car. So if bought, driven and sold in that span it's essentially a free car. An RS3 I have no clue. I also have no clue why people make threads about selling their cars. Not to be a total ass, but sell and move on. Who truly wants to hear about their reasons for leaving? Best of luck OP.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #37
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I would never go to a new platform before at least 3 years of production.
Well the PQ35 platform was in production for 3 years before it came here to North America and it was still a dud with the front subframe readily falling off. Das Auto.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:31 PM   #38
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Well the PQ35 platform was in production for 3 years before it came here to North America and it was still a dud with the front subframe readily falling off. Das Auto.
Not to mention that Audi shares parts across multiple models. Probably less with the RS models, but nevertheless, besides being tested in Europe for years before coming here, they usually have parts that are tested in other models too before existing in a new model.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:02 PM   #39
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Not to mention that Audi shares parts across multiple models. Probably less with the RS models, but nevertheless, besides being tested in Europe for years before coming here, they usually have parts that are tested in other models too before existing in a new model.
Well from the past once the model comes to our side of the pond it's usually watered down / decontented, maybe less so with the higher end Audi models but nonetheless we'll never get the nice EU specs even with the DOT regulations aside. The first batch that comes ashore usually still have most of the better bits retained before any running changes occur down the road.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:05 AM   #40
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Oh, I was referring to the impreza which is based on an entirely new platform. The reliability of the Japanese cars is much better comparing to the German ones, but still a modern car is too complex and easier to miss something. Such problems are usually solved in a 2-3 years time period. We've seen it also here with different issues appearing in the early years of the 86/BRZ platform and how things went much better after '14. They might not be always BIG issues and there is also a warranty, but they are still issues that can cause frustration. If you buy a new car in its first year of production, either you don't know what you're doing and just want to buy the last shine offering or you don't care too much.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #41
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I would go with S5 instead of RS3.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #42
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
I would go with S5 instead of RS3.
The S5 Sportback is nice, but it's damn heavy and large. Almost 4000lbs. Slower, too. As I think through all the cars I've had, the most fun on the canyon road may have been the Fiat 500e. Perhaps the RS3 is too big? The FR-S is not as fun as the 500e because, with all the width, you can't quite throw it into a narrow lane the same way. No room to slide.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote