follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 12-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #43
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If i lift the clutch suddenly, car's jerk and make strange noises
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #44
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
That's true.

However, if the clutch was really bad, and you were in 1st gear, the engine may think it has a chance at moving the car ..... and keeps trying ..... thus wearing the clutch excessively.

If it were in 6th gear, the engine would give up right away and the clutch still may be bad.

Hell, I really don't know why 2nd gear ...... that's just what my grandfather taught me ......

humfrz
You nailed it with your description. Well other that the engine thinking part (Hum...it can't think).
Old 12-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #45
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You nailed it with your description. Well other that the engine thinking part (Hum...it can't think).
Thanks!

The engine can't "think" .. ??

Well, sometimes, I wonder ...... with all those ECU, BCM, ABS, ESC and PCM things working .......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-17-2015)
Old 01-15-2016, 05:46 AM   #46
FirestormFlex

Drives: 2015 Turbo FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I learned how to drive on a manual transmission when I was a teenager (I'm 35) and I've owned 5 manual transmission cars, 3 of which were at 200K+ miles when I got rid of them. I have never completely worn out and replaced an OEM clutch on any of those vehicles. I see these posts about leaving the car in neutral at stoplights - I've held in the clutch at almost every stoplight in just about every vehicle I've every owned with zero issues.

Now, for the first time I switched to an aftermarked ACT clutch in my FR-S since I'm going forced induction soon. Hopefully I'll continue having good luck.
FirestormFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #47
smg1138

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The clutch on this car isn't a problem, but the throwout bearing is. It's such a PITA to replace though, you might as well just replace the entire clutch while you're at it. Sorry, I'm still salty about Toyota refusing to fix my failing TOB under warranty and then getting stranded a few days later. For what it's worth though, my original clutch still looked nearly new after almost 60k miles when I took it out.
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smg1138 For This Useful Post:
jeepmor (01-16-2021), Tcoat (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #48
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
The clutch on this car isn't a problem, but the throwout bearing is. It's such a PITA to replace though, you might as well just replace the entire clutch while you're at it. Sorry, I'm still salty about Toyota refusing to fix my failing TOB under warranty and then getting stranded a few days later. For what it's worth though, my original clutch still looked nearly new after almost 60k miles when I took it out.
i would recommend getting the Velox billet clutch fork ( http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/velo...l#.WUF9gGjyuUk) as well if you are changing out the clutch and bearing.
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #49
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFlex View Post
I learned how to drive on a manual transmission when I was a teenager (I'm 35) and I've owned 5 manual transmission cars, 3 of which were at 200K+ miles when I got rid of them. I have never completely worn out and replaced an OEM clutch on any of those vehicles. I see these posts about leaving the car in neutral at stoplights - I've held in the clutch at almost every stoplight in just about every vehicle I've every owned with zero issues.

Now, for the first time I switched to an aftermarked ACT clutch in my FR-S since I'm going forced induction soon. Hopefully I'll continue having good luck.

Ditto...been driving manual for 31 years and have never had to replace a clutch...always holding clutch in at red lights and using engine braking every chance I get. Only replaced brake pads once as they never get used
Old 06-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #50
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
Typically when I am stopped on level ground I am not holding the brake anyway, the car will stay right where it is because the clutch is in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is horrible practice and habit. If you get rear ended into oncoming traffic (making a left for example and your wheels are already turned) or get tboned at an intersection due to someone rear ending you, you are SOL, my friend. It might not be the car directly behind you that rear ends you, it could be the one before it. Finally, your brake lights won't be on and the driver behind you might think you are going. why not minimize the amount of confusion and potential damage that can happen to your vehicle relying purely on reaction time?

This is something that would get you automatically failed in a road test.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ST185RC For This Useful Post:
Mister (04-08-2018)
Old 06-14-2017, 09:07 PM   #51
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
This is a terrible idea. If you need to suddenly move/get out of the way of something you will be much slower to react if you first have to put it into gear. In emergency maneuvers fractions of a second count.
I'd rather be ready to move then save what will probably be only a couple thousand miles of it's life.
Most cars now automatically stop engine and have to automatically restart to move away at traffic lights (saving fuel and killing starter motors).
Even though my brz is in neutral and i have to select 1st , i can still move off quicker than all the auto stop/start eco cars.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #52
G_Rossney

Drives: 2013 BRZ, Limited, 6spd MT, GBS
Send a message via AIM to G_Rossney Send a message via MSN to G_Rossney Send a message via Yahoo to G_Rossney
My car has seen a few track days. I heel/toe every day, but I'm a little hard on the daily. I don't keep my clutch in at stops. I have found that resting your foot on the clutch does engage the clutch slightly (causes some minor wear i'm sure).

I got 68,270 out of the clutch. $1500 to replace through dealer. I need the car so I couldn't do it on my own and save about $1000 on labor. FML
G_Rossney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:56 PM   #53
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
This^

Your TOB will wear out before the clutch does most likely and since the labor for that can be sort of costly might as well drop $220-$250 for a brand new clutch.

I had my TOB replaced around 70kish my clutch still had some life left and likely would have lasted me a while longer. But after that new clutch was installed I forgot how buttery and smooth shifting is. Don't sweat it and drive the car how you want, when it's time the TOB will make noise to tell you it's time for a new one and have a new clutch kit installed at the same time.

Side note my flywheel was still like new so that wasn't replaced.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:28 PM   #54
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
While on the subject, i usually just let the clutch out in reverse to, well, reverse, instead of adding any gas. basically moving at idle like you would in an auto... am i causing a lot more wear on the clutch?
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:42 PM   #55
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
While on the subject, i usually just let the clutch out in reverse to, well, reverse, instead of adding any gas. basically moving at idle like you would in an auto... am i causing a lot more wear on the clutch?
This thread should answer that: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121874
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:37 PM   #56
BaBaFlyingSheep

Drives: 2015 BRZ Ltd 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Post Here's 1 data point for reference

I'm pretty surprised of how much clutch life I have left.

I drive pretty spiritedly and I remember after my break-in period I was chirping tires every day. I've never launched my car, but I did learn stick shift and heel-toe in this car.

Smelled that burning clutch smell plenty of times. I read somewhere that out of the either or (assuming you can't drive perfectly): dropping the clutch or slipping, dropping probably has less wear.

Here's some pics of comparing new vs old clutch. My car has 82k miles on it. I guess I would've been the type where the clutch would've lasted the life of the vehicle. Keep in mind on my old clutch I didn't clean off the rivets to get a super accurate reading, and I was using my left-hand and taking pics with my right. Take these measurements as reference. I measured 3 spots of each side. Measured from top of rivets to clutch face on all 6 measurements.

Overall though, the hub-side and flywheel side have different thicknesses:
New FW-side: 1.65 mm (avg)
New Hub-side: 1.85 mm (avg)

Old FW-side: 1.4 mm (avg)
Old Hub:side: 1.68 mm (avg)

I noticed more inconsistently on the old clutch, but again, I didn't clean off the rivets.

So ~0.15 mm or ~9% of the clutch life in 82k miles, guess my clutch should last 800k miles

Of course TOB loses it's lube at 30k miles though.... That technical service bulletin should've been a recall...
Attached Images

BaBaFlyingSheep is offline   Reply With Quote