follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-01-2019, 11:53 PM   #3641
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
Seems legal to me.

Aftermarket wheels are allowed as long as the whole replacement assembly weighs more than OEM. This is adding weight to OEM, which seems to be the only consideration of the rules.

This is the STX thread, not the autox generally thread. For street it doesn't seem legal.
I have to quote the street section because thats the catch all phrase for each and every category that comes after. If its not a manufacturer part or allowed in the class, its specifically not allowed.

Again I am not against your arguments. I also want them to be legal.
I am echoing the thought process and whats been told to me when i challenged the rulebook on authorization

Literally its adding weight the only "performance" gain is comfort. which can be likened to running pedals or a shift knob
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:43 AM   #3642
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
From Section 14.2....

D. Any steering wheel may be used. An alternate steering wheel assembly,
including all mounting hardware which replaces an airbag-equipped wheel, is not required to have an airbag but must weigh at least as much as the standard assembly. An alternate steering wheel is not required to have a horn button.

Personally, I'd define that as an alternate steering wheel assembly.

I don't understand why you'd want it though, unless you are like 6'4" with dinosaur arms.

steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steverife For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #3643
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
From Section 14.2....

D. Any steering wheel may be used. An alternate steering wheel assembly,
including all mounting hardware which replaces an airbag-equipped wheel, is not required to have an airbag but must weigh at least as much as the standard assembly. An alternate steering wheel is not required to have a horn button.

Personally, I'd define that as an alternate steering wheel assembly.

I don't understand why you'd want it though, unless you are like 6'4" with dinosaur arms.

What Steve said.

I don't think there is much interpretation to the ruleset where a spacer on an OE wheel is going to be legal.
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #3644
KevBRZ

Drives: 15BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
spc toe arms

I bought these not even thinking they aren't legal for stx anyhow, anybody ever been protested on these? Any performance benefit? Any huge difference on setting toe without these when lowered 1 to 1.5 inches? I was actually gonna just resale them BNIB.
KevBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:59 AM   #3645
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevBRZ View Post
I bought these not even thinking they aren't legal for stx anyhow, anybody ever been protested on these? Any performance benefit? Any huge difference on setting toe without these when lowered 1 to 1.5 inches? I was actually gonna just resale them BNIB.
They're infinitely easier to work with when setting toe by yourself with a string setup... Otherwise pointless. Anyone that protests would get an eyeroll from me, but they'd be in the right.
KevBRZ (07-02-2019), strat61caster (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 09:27 AM   #3646
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,470 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Guys, we're in the STX thread. It's definitely legal, it literally says "ANY STEERING WHEEL MAY BE USED" with the caveat that it weighs as much or more than OEM. You're not going to make the OM wheel lighter by adding a spacer to it.

If you're asking for steering wheel in street class or SSC you're in the wrong place... and it wouldn't be legal anyway.

The SPC toe arms are seemingly legal if you don't run camber arms as well, but they're pointless in the first place. Camber arms are barely worth having, only if you have an early build car and the OEM camber is wildly different between sides of the car.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
Molez93 (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 11:48 AM   #3647
CoolHandMoss

Drives: 2013 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Guys, we're in the STX thread. It's definitely legal, it literally says "ANY STEERING WHEEL MAY BE USED" with the caveat that it weighs as much or more than OEM. You're not going to make the OM wheel lighter by adding a spacer to it.

If you're asking for steering wheel in street class or SSC you're in the wrong place... and it wouldn't be legal anyway.

The SPC toe arms are seemingly legal if you don't run camber arms as well, but they're pointless in the first place. Camber arms are barely worth having, only if you have an early build car and the OEM camber is wildly different between sides of the car.
Camber arms are barely worth having? I don't understand. How much camber do you end up with on the stock control arms after the ~1" drop to whatever ride height one runs for STX?
CoolHandMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:56 AM   #3648
KevBRZ

Drives: 15BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
Camber arms are barely worth having? I don't understand. How much camber do you end up with on the stock control arms after the ~1" drop to whatever ride height one runs for STX?
Yeah i kinda wondered the same thing. i guess if your lucky you can drop the car and end up right where u want but if you aren't then you need some changes, but it is a pricey option when considering RSR Velox/Verus are only the legal ones for stx and are $500+ even if you go spc/whiteline by the time u press in the other bushings....and lose ease of adjustment from what i hear....
KevBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #3649
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Many people land between 2-3 degrees by luck, your call if you want to gamble that your car is even and you won't end up more than a few tenths away from what you like, but you'd never know what you'd like without adjustment. Makes sense for a budget build that has no concern about pointy end competitiveness but I'm not sure why you'd gamble paying for a second alignment instead of buying the $300 set in the first place. Since you already have one factory adjustable lateral link this is the one to replace, letter written last year clarified that the stac doesn't think you should be able to replace both.

By my measure the spc 'toe' arms aren't legal, less bushing material than stock due to a larger metal inner sleeve. There factory toe arms are just fine for STX, the only reason to want to change them IMHO is if you're doing your own alignment. Again, weenie protest, you could put delrin in the oe arm and be legal. Agreed with everything else Doc says though.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:59 PM   #3650
DocWalt

You end up around -2 degrees rear camber at appropriate STX ride heights (more negative camber the lower you go) which is about where you want to be. Feel free to spend the $300-$600 or so for arms if you want (I did), but it's not likely to be why you're losing, even at pointy end.

edit: Good point on the SPC toe arm having illegal bushings due to metal content. Even more pointless now

Last edited by DocWalt; 07-02-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #3651
Clutch Dog

I'm 6 foot with donkey kong arms. And giraffe legs. You short guys wouldn't understand but I'm tired of sitting spread eagled to get my knees around the wheel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clutch Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #3652
DocWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
I'm 6 foot with donkey kong arms. And giraffe legs. You short guys wouldn't understand but I'm tired of sitting spread eagled to get my knees around the wheel.

I'm 6'4". I'm well aware of the struggle. Literally no car I've ever driven had the wheel close enough to me.
Clutch Dog (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 05:06 PM   #3653
Clutch Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I'm 6'4". I'm well aware of the struggle. Literally no car I've ever driven had the wheel close enough to me.
hence is why i bought the spacer, regardless of legality. XD why the heck ( censor) should we be punished for being tall.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #3654
DocWalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
hence is why i bought the spacer, regardless of legality. XD why the heck ( censor) should we be punished for being tall.

I don't disagree but rules are rules. I had to wait to buy an ND Miata until they made one that I fit in (telescoping wheel gets it just close enough I can drive it)