follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #2381
E_br4ke

Drives: FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_br4ke View Post
E_br4ke, FRS, ~2860mi when it happened, will reply back with VIN, will drop it off this weekend, TX, USA

both CEL and Limited Slip lights are on. Turned off and turned back on, still on. Will be reading the last few pages of this thread but hopefully they have found root cause and it should be a quick fix.

I dont really want to part with my baby.

car was in shop for 2 days. They just reflashed the ECM, didn't see any codes in the documentation i got back.

So far it hasn't come back (100 miles since i picked it up). Will keep an eye on it.
E_br4ke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to E_br4ke For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (12-28-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #2382
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiiiPwrFRS View Post
Looks like I am an addition to the list, even tho my situation is not quite the same as most.

I purchased my manual FRS locally (Northern Los Angeles Area) about 3 1/2 weeks ago. After a week of owning the car and daily driving, I was sitting in my driveway letting the engine warm up. I noticed my idle RPM was at 1200, after about two minutes, it roughly dropped, as in it went down, up and down, and so forth, until it got to 650 RPM, it sits there and I start hearing the infamous "crickets".

This made me very sad, even tho Im not getting any warning lights on my dash I made an appointment and took it in to the dealership about a week later. They had my car for about the whole day, and after inspection, they said the lead mechanic there was gonna speak to me to clear up my concerns. He said he had driven the car around for a little, and noticed nothing wrong with how my engine was running. He says at start up the engine will sit at a higher RPM to warm up the engine quicker, once the ECU realizes the car has been at an idle for a bit of time, it will shut off some of the direct injectors, which drops the RPM to 650. He says this is the correct idle RPM for this vehicle. I asked about the cricket noise and he told me that my car came with the update with the ECU to fix the issue this thread is dealing with, and that the noise im hearing is "pressure being released from the direct injection system and that is completely normal".

I felt very uneasy about his response but I decided to take trust in his information. Its been another two weeks, and Ive noticed that sometimes at start, It will idle at 1600 RPM, slooooowwllyyyyy drop to 1200, and then slowly, and roughly drop all the way back to 650 and the crickets start once again and last as long as the vehicle is on. Also while sitting in my drive way, or just on the street at a red light in neutral, I feel the vehicle shake very slightly, which coincides with a slight quick dip in my RPMs. The engine also just sounds very unhealthy at that low RPM, maybe its just my situation but it sounds like its chugging along to stay alive, its not smooth or attractive sounding at all, it sounds great at 1200 when I first start it, but after two minutes of the car being on and until I get to my destination, my car doesnt sound very good, with the exception of me being at speed. Also when cruising to a stop in 2nd gear, it starts to jerk once its below 3k RPM.

Im wondering if anyone can tell me any more information about my situation and how I should handle it especially since I havent had one light go off on my dash. How should I deal with the dealership since the lead mechanic strongly insisted nothing is wrong withy my vehicle as well? I really want answers and they're just kinda telling me everything is ok.

Sorry for the long post but id appreciate any information or advice, I love my car and how fun it is, but im kinda embarrassed at stop lights, or anytime im in neutral, sounds like im riding a a 20 year old lawn mower.
What you are noticing may be normal. Today on a cold start after reading your post I took note of the RPMs. At first 1600, then few seconcds 1200. By that time I'm driving away (no need to let it warm up. Just start and go). At my first stop car is starting to warm up and idles at 650-700. Slightly rough until it gets to fully warm, then its smooth.

Make sure you are really hearing the crickets (search on y tube). Because it has a duel injector system, at times you can hear the louder and higher pitched injectors. That is not the crickets.

Also, since your car is new I would expect you to have the latest ECU (which supposedly fixed the idle issue) and the latest fuel pump (suppoesedly fixed the cricket issue).
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #2383
mike_ander

Drives: Scion FR-S Asphalt
mike_ander, FR-S, 2631 mi, 7088XX, 1 week (drove with CEL on, replaced ECU @TOYOTA dealer), TN Picking up son from school early on the 17th, had to idle/inch forward for 10 minutes or so...notice very rough idle at red light. Two days later, no symptoms, rev'ed motor up in town driving, threw the CEL-SL light. Took car in for two, one hour and half visits (one to diagnosis, other for ECU replacement). Picked up today. Limited driving so far, light is off. Seems to have more power...
mike_ander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mike_ander For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #2384
eurospeed

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by acro View Post
I got the odd vibrations at low RPM was hoping it wouldnt pop up. Then this am it did . CEL @ 1200km. but it dissapeared by the time i reached the dealer. They pulled the code said it had something to do with the crank position sensor
Where are you from and is your car an FR-S? Thanks.
eurospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #2385
acro

Drives: GT-86
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The car is a GT-86.
acro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #2386
MTCRX

Drives: Whiteout FRS- autocross ready
I have been following this post and wondering if cars recently off the production line have had this problem fixed? It looks like they haven't. I just got my car at Christmas but have not been driving it since roads are snow coverd and icy. Should I wait until the problems crop up? Will they for sure? Can I get the reflash without having the problems appear or should I wait?

Frs m/t.
MTCRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #2387
Alienate

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCRX View Post
I have been following this post and wondering if cars recently off the production line have had this problem fixed? It looks like they haven't. I just got my car at Christmas but have not been driving it since roads are snow coverd and icy. Should I wait until the problems crop up? Will they for sure? Can I get the reflash without having the problems appear or should I wait?

Frs m/t.
Yes. No. No.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #2388
TurnOne

Drives: BRZ Ltd. WR Blue 6MT
Update: Picked back up my BRZ today after getting a new ECU. No other issues noted. They did tell me the GPS TSB parts are on back order and should have by the end of the month. Cold out and didn't get to get a full throttle experience on the way back from the dealer. I'll test tomorrow, but so far so good, the CEL is gone. Hopefully I never see it again, this is the 2nd car afterall.

Chris
TurnOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #2389
jermyzy

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech 6MT
So, is this problem contained to just the earlier batches of the FR-S/BRZ? (e.g. fixed on all new cars coming out now?) I have a deposit on a 2013 BRZ and am getting a little worried after reading this thread...should I hold off until the 2014 models come out?
jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #2390
Cade01

Drives: '13 White FR-S, 09 Triumph St.3 R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermyzy View Post
So, is this problem contained to just the earlier batches of the FR-S/BRZ? (e.g. fixed on all new cars coming out now?) I have a deposit on a 2013 BRZ and am getting a little worried after reading this thread...should I hold off until the 2014 models come out?
It's very hit or miss, some have had it some haven't. My FR-S has a manufacture date of 10/12, I have 2097 miles on it, I drove it spirited from the time I got it(after it was warmed up of course and after several load cycles), and I have had no issues to date. A lot of those mile were a trip from Eugene, OR to SLC, UT and back. Just look at the list and you can see what the average VIN range is, it's there for both of the twins. It seems that even those with issues have been sorted out for the most part.
Cade01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #2391
tuckdaddy
Because Racecar

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Update #209 on the list got the car back today run about 200 miles and no issue can gears were replaced
tuckdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tuckdaddy For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (01-14-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #2392
IloveBaldEagles

Drives: Gray.
Thanked 2,086 Times in 995 Posts
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've noticed my RPMs drop to about 500, car rattles, then RPMs jump back to 1000-1100. This is the idling issue?
IloveBaldEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #2393
RMStringer

Drives: Scion FR-s Pearl White 6 Speed
Send a message via ICQ to RMStringer Send a message via Yahoo to RMStringer
Great Town!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarGC View Post
OmarGC, '13 FR-S, 1st occurrence: 420mi, Vin: 7079XX, Car with me-Parts on order since 8/28/12, O'Fallon, IL, Additional comments: 2nd occurrence:530mi ECU only stored p0017(ecu cleared/reset); 3rd: 718 mi found active CEL p0017 w/slip light then contacted Toyota about the issue and ordered parts ETA on parts is supposedly 9/4/12.

Sorry, been meaning to post here for quite some time... just got around to activating my account.
I used to live in O'Fallon IL. Great city. My daughter still lives there and goes to school ar SIUE. I rode Mountain bikes every week at SIUE. Also, check out a band called Johnny Van Couver, They are friends of mine and also the Pedestrians. Great bands to see and watch!! I also lived in Belleville! Fun towns!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #2394
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMStringer View Post
I used to live in O'Fallon IL. Great city. My daughter still lives there and goes to school ar SIUE. I rode Mountain bikes every week at SIUE. Also, check out a band called Johnny Van Couver, They are friends of mine and also the Pedestrians. Great bands to see and watch!! I also lived in Belleville! Fun towns!
Oh nice! I'm here on military orders(Scott AFB)... I live in Fairview Heights though. As far as the bands, I actually think I've been to a JVC show... A friend of mine named David shoots for a bunch of local bands out this way. If you're ever here to visit give me a buzz :happy0180:

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
OmarGC is offline   Reply With Quote