follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
jtice

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to jtice Send a message via AIM to jtice Send a message via Yahoo to jtice
Mod Fog Lights to stay on with High Beams ???

Like many vehicles, I noticed that my 2017 BRZ foglights will go out when the highbeams are turned on.
Is there a mod out there to prevent this?

In my 2011 Tacoma, it was as simple as bending one tab on a factory relay so it no longer made contact.
jtice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Just wire the fogs directly to the battery terminals.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
ncted (03-28-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
jtice

Send a message via ICQ to jtice Send a message via AIM to jtice Send a message via Yahoo to jtice
I assume you mean while still controlling them via the factory switch, to an added relay?
I will result to that, if thats what it takes, done that on other vehicles, just wanted to make sure there was not an easier way of doing it on the BRZ, like I mentioned for the Tacoma.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
fx1mark

Drives: red 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtice View Post
I assume you mean while still controlling them via the factory switch, to an added relay?
I will result to that, if thats what it takes, done that on other vehicles, just wanted to make sure there was not an easier way of doing it on the BRZ, like I mentioned for the Tacoma.
I have the dealer installed led drl's on my car. I found the install manual online and there is a tap and plug behind the dash that tapped into the dash lights and triggered the leds to dim. to access it you pulled the end of the drivers side dash end cap an removed one screw to slightly drop the lower dash plastic and you could see the plug. it was obvious that it is an aftermarket plug. I simply unplugged it and the drls would no longer dim at night.
fx1mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Ummmm.. why would you want to do this? There have been many excellent posts here regarding what fog lights are for and why they should only be used with low beams, so I won't beat a dead horse. There aren't any GOOD reasons for wanting fog lights on with high beams. None. You may have personal reasons for wanting it, but they aren't good.
daskaman (03-28-2018), sharpsicle (03-27-2018), Tcoat (03-28-2018), Tokay444 (03-28-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 09:54 PM   #6
jtice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx1mark View Post
I have the dealer installed led drl's on my car. I found the install manual online and there is a tap and plug behind the dash that tapped into the dash lights and triggered the leds to dim. to access it you pulled the end of the drivers side dash end cap an removed one screw to slightly drop the lower dash plastic and you could see the plug. it was obvious that it is an aftermarket plug. I simply unplugged it and the drls would no longer dim at night.
I think that may be a bit different. (drls vs. fog lights)
Mine has drls, but they are the outer edge of the headlights, not the fog lights.
I will look into that though and see if its useful. thanks
Old 03-27-2018, 09:58 PM   #7
jtice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Ummmm.. why would you want to do this? There have been many excellent posts here regarding what fog lights are for and why they should only be used with low beams, so I won't beat a dead horse. There aren't any GOOD reasons for wanting fog lights on with high beams. None. You may have personal reasons for wanting it, but they aren't good.
You are right, all comes doen to personal preference.
I personally think highbeams are the ones you have to watch out for, they are the ones that will blind you when driving in fog.
When I flip my highbeams on, I want Maximum output. If the fog lights turn out, then that is obviously not using all the light output the car potentially has.
I will admit, this is less of an issue with this car than others I have owned. The headlights are so good, you dont see a major drop off in light down low and near the car as much as you do with other vehicles.
My Tacoma has nice headlights and fog lights, but stock, then the fogs went out with highbeams, the area around the front of the truck went quite dark.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:18 PM   #8
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You can wire anything how you like, it's as simple as a relay. But, as stated above, they aren't for "maximum output", they're for road reflection under fog. Seeing as how you shouldn't be using high-beams in fog conditions, there's no logical reason to connect the two.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #9
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtice View Post
Nah. They're LEDs. Just leave them on all the time.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:15 PM   #10
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
i just want a way to turn the fog lights on/off without having to turn on the headlights...
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #11
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
i just want a way to turn the fog lights on/off without having to turn on the headlights...
Why?
Old 03-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
Why?
cos i like it? i did tht on my old celica. Nice to just run the small lights with the fogs

edit: here's my old car fyi
Attached Images

Last edited by DarkSideFRS; 03-28-2018 at 02:13 PM.
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #13
jtice

ah, yea actually,, I was thinking the fog lights could be turned on with just the drls?
They will only come on with the lowbeams?
Another reason for me to do some sort of mod on this.

I like to run the fogs with the drls in later afternoon or overcast days.
Why? mainly cuz it looks cool.
Come on, these cars have sweet looking headlights and tail lights, we need to use them
Old 03-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #14
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
*If using the OEM fog light switch*
I believe I read that the fog lights are grounded through the headlights, which is why they will only come on when your headlights are switched on. If I remember correctly, someone said you can just take the wire from the back of the switch and ground it, then the light will turn on and off with the button alone. Need to be cautious with this though, as you could accidentally leave your fogs on even after car is turned off and you have left to go about your business.
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote