follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2019, 05:27 AM   #211
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,461 Times in 3,204 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've been meaning to update this journal so much. A small update will have to do while I wait on some additional work to be scheduled ().

Back in February I did a thing and wrecked this:

I screwed up my passenger side sideskirt. Wish I could say I was drifting through a parking lot entrance driveway on a dark and rainy night straight into a curb... But sadly, this happened on a night just as dark and rainy except that I simply just turned into a curb that went out further than I was expecting. One of those curving curbs where one side has a handicap ramp onto the pavement. I just didn't swing wide enough for the turn. I also got a slight crease/dent on my rocker panel where I guess the car fell onto the curb. Welp. The frame seems fine from some inspection, so it looks to have just been the rocker itself. Hopefully nothing serious and the car has driven fine since then. I don't have a photo yet of the new side but rest assured for I have since replaced it.

In the mean time, I also purchased and have yet to install a couple of engine related mods:

1. DeliciousTuning Flex Fuel Kit
2. JDL UEL catted headers (thanks @Mchilese!)

Working on getting some time scheduled at a shop for install and tune. I'll be going to Ecutek and probably a custom tune.

Also, back in March and through April I had the fantastic opportunity to take a three-week vacation to Japan.

I'll have to circle back here and post more photos because I'm still going through many of them.

However, one of the highlights of my trip was easily getting to rent a genuine, JDM RHD 2017 86 through Toyota Rent-A-Car for a weekend. Funny story, it's the same one that @yurikaze rented a few years back. I'm sure it had many tens of thousands more kilometers on it by the time I got to drive it.

The first day I had the 86 I got to visit Daikoku Parking Area. If you're not familiar with parking areas in Japan they're somewhat like rest stops you get in the US (similar idea to the ones off i5 and 101). However in my experience in Japan, some have cafes and other food establishments, and are typically located off toll roads/expressways, so they're more of a "premium" experience perhaps (maybe I'm wrong on that one, but it certainly felt that way).

I digress, though. The awesome part about visiting Daikoku, especially on a Friday night, is that it's a prime spot to see and really immerse yourself in Japanese car culture. I'm hesitant to specify it simply as "JDM car culture" because there weren't only JDM cars there and from what I've seen and heard there are often many other types of cars or other vehicles that hang out there.

As a pretty active "Instagrammer" when it comes to our cars, over the past year and a half or so I've taken it upon myself to follow a plethora of twin owners over in Japan. I don't know any Japanese, but occasionally I find someone who's able to communicate a bit with me in broken English. Well, about 6 months ago I messaged one of the guys I communicate with the most and told him I'd be visiting Japan on X dates and would have a car on a couple of those days. I then elaborated on some of the stuff I would like to do while renting the car, and he happily agreed so far in advance to meet with me!

Here are our cars at Daikoku:

I rented the black 86 and his 86 is the white one, of course.

What an amazing time. His written English is passable but not so much for his spoken English. But, that was perfectly okay! Both days that we met we were able to communicate via the Google Translate app on each of our phones for the several hours that we hung out. Occasionally we needed to re-phrase something and have it re-translated for it to make sense, but other than that it worked just fine.

The following day we met up in Takasaki at the local GR Garage (Gazoo Racing performance shop located at some Toyota dealers in Japan with all kinds of OEM and aftermarket performance parts). We then drove up to the "D'z Garage" (InitialD-themed cafe) at the base of Mt. Haruna (famous from InitialD and known in that series as Mt. Akina). We got to check out some awesome replica cars and RX7's at the cafe, and then headed up the mountain for a legit Japan touge journey!

D'z Garage:

Mt. Haruna:

Funnily enough, after Tsubasa (my friend) and I hung out, drove around, and ate a katsu curry lunch in a lakeside cafe, it began to snow! The morning and most of the day around there had been overcast and foggy/misty/slightly rainy. It began to rain fairly hard as we drove around the lake, and then it really began to snow; it was even cold enough that it wasn't melting on the ground.

Fortunately we both made it back down the mountain though, but.. wow... such an awesome experience that I'll never forget.

I have way more to post but it's 2:30AM and I just realized I should be responsible and get to sleep since I gotta be at work around 9am tomorrow .

In the meantime, please check out my Instagram for more photos!

https://www.instagram.com/spike.86/
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-21-2019), Clipdat (05-23-2019), DaBoBo21 (05-21-2019), JeremyR (05-21-2019), MrSkubi (05-21-2019), new2subaru (05-21-2019), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (05-21-2019), Tcoat (05-21-2019), tehShirt (05-21-2019), yurikaze (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #212
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Finally!! Been waiting for your Japan post

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
HKS|Parts Shop MAX|Battle Version|ADVAN|Beatrush
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeremyR For This Useful Post:
spike021 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 03:53 AM   #213
spike021

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Finally!! Been waiting for your Japan post
Haha I know you have! I've got so much more to share too.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 04:12 AM   #214
spike021

Update 2 for recent things:

While in Japan I bought a few different parts because of course I had to .

I'm still in the process of finishing one install and waiting to modify a minor OEM piece for another item, but one piece is completely done (the first week I was back, no less!).

Thanks to @JeremyR for the help, we installed this brand new REAL Japan leather steering wheel:

It's just potato iPhone camera quality, but it'll have to do for now.

I've wanted one of these for a while because I've really disliked the OEM 2017+ steering wheel and TBH while I'd thought of picking one up in Japan, it wasn't really planned...until @tehShirt kind of got me into the idea of seeing whether I'd be able to snatch one up. Fortunately I was! And rather easily. We can really only order them in the US from 86worx, but that site really overcharges. In Japan I simply found it on Amazon Japan and had it shipped to my final hotel in Tokyo for a couple hundred less. What a steal.

The wheel itself is slightly smaller than the OEM 2017+ wheel, has much better-feeling leather wrapped around it (perforated as well), has a somewhat flat bottom to give it a D-shape, has trigger-like hand grips at the 9 and 3 positions, and the top has little dimples/grooves for fingers as well.

It's amazingly comfortable, especially for spirited driving. I found out after returning home that REAL products are demoed at Lexus showrooms and GR Garages, so they're basically a Toyota-endorsed aftermarket product. The quality really shows with the clean stitching and material. Plus it's all pretty much plug and play, especially with the OEM airbag.

--------

Back to some of the Japan trip stuff.

While visiting Super Autobacs in Odaiba Bay, I came across a few super cool cars:

I later heard that the Honda in the last couple of photos is super rare. Apparently very few hardtop models were made for this one. So cool to find that out, and I had already enjoyed seeing it just on first sight! haha.

This is all kind of jumbled up chronologically but oh well .

But.. earlier on the trip when I went to Daikoku Parking Area I winded up there a bit early and had some time before meeting my friend.

So, I did as any car enthusiast would probably do and walked around to see the cars there even though the main festivities hadn't begun yet:

Meeting the owner of this Skyline was super cool. He spoke somewhat decent English but we also were able to communicate with Google Translate. We had such a good conversation about both of our cars and what else we want to do with them that he decided to look at the UpGarage website for me in Japanese to see if he could find some stuff I had hoped to find on my trip (which I sadly never really did). We also exchanged Instagram's and followed each other.

I met the owner of this sick-looking red S13 as well. He spoke no English whatsoever and we didn't even get a chance to use Google Translate. I happened to ask by silly motioning if I could take some photos of his car and he gladly got out of the driver seat, closed the door, and allowed me to take several photos from all angles. But that wasn't even the best thing; when I finished taking those photos, he opened his driver side door again but this time motioned toward it for me to get in so he could get a picture of me with my phone. Wow.

I was genuinely surprised by some of the generosity that I got to experience during the trip. Not many Americans would do the same for someone they don't know, especially if there's a ginormous language barrier. So welcoming.

---

Alright, I have even more stories and photos to post but I'll take another break for now, haha. Don't wanna wear you all out.

Stay tuned!
Quote:
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-22-2019), Clipdat (05-23-2019), JeremyR (05-22-2019), Racecomp Engineering (05-23-2019), Spuds (05-22-2019), tehShirt (05-22-2019), yurikaze (05-23-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #215
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
That r34 is pretty damn cool

REALMS BRZ Build Thread
HKS|Parts Shop MAX|Battle Version|ADVAN|Beatrush
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeremyR For This Useful Post:
spike021 (05-27-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 02:24 AM   #216
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Love the photos, thanks so much for sharing some highlights of your amazing trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
JeremyR (05-28-2019), spike021 (05-27-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 05:29 PM   #217
spike021

Can't share the video yet but last Friday someone got into their parked Chevy Silverado work truck and backed into my front bumper at work (I was backed into a spot).

While there aren't any major dents, there are scrapes, imprint of the bumper, gash in the paint, my emblem is cracked internally, the panels are misaligned and I now have some bumper sag on the driver side (corner that took the most of the impact). I have dashcam video of everything, got the license plate and company name, phone number, and address for that company. In the video, my hood visibly buckled. Also my car was pushed back; I normally park in gear and with e-brake engaged.

But even with all of that and clear video my insurance is lowballing me.

I went to get an inspection and estimate today. Apparently they can only do visible damage. The guy only allotted money to pull the bumper and lights off and out and repaint the bumper and replace the emblem.

They won't replace my bumper or the hood, despite neither being damaged prior to the accident, and the guy who inspected it wouldn't even consider any strain put on the hood or it buckling in the video since it had no visible damage.

I will have to try to deal with my insurance to have more done rather than the bare minimum.

Will keep this thread updated and put in some photos and video once it's all sorted...
Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-02-2019), JeremyR (06-01-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 07:15 PM   #218
spike021

So back on May 24 this happened to my car at work:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPLlsuGrvT0[/ame]

The driver didn't leave his information at the scene or anything; I work for a fairly large tech company with its own private security, and there was no report filed with them that this happened. Fortunately just a couple weeks earlier I'd gotten and installed a Blackvue 720S dual-channel. So, I filed a report with both on-campus security and the local police department.

Work security was able to get in contact with this subcontractor company thanks to all its information being clear in the video. They obtained their insurance policy information for me and also put me in contact with a rep from that company, who then put me in contact with their insurance. Their insurance reimbursed my deductible, which was nice.

While the damage wasn't particularly extensive, there were enough issue to obviously warrant dealing with insurance and having a body shop work on the car to restore it to its previous condition.

Some pics:

The body shop ended up resurfacing and repainting the bumper, and it came out fairly well with a nearly perfect paint match. So I'm relatively pleased with the outcome.

Still working on seeing about diminished value and whatnot. Just need to get some estimates and other research in hand to give to the other party's insurance, and then they'll go over it.

So yep, that was my past month.

Hoping to have my flex fuel kit and JDL UEL catted headers installed, along with tune, in the next week or two at @The Racers Line so that should be next!
Quote:
Old 10-07-2019, 03:50 AM   #219
spike021

It's been a while since a solid update on the car!

I don't have much at the moment, but here's a sneak peak with a couple photos! I've updated the first post mod list as well, so feel free to take a look at the update!

Quote:
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Kaotic Lazagna (10-08-2019), MCTeeJ (10-08-2019), Racecomp Engineering (11-05-2019), Tcoat (10-15-2019), tehShirt (10-07-2019), wolffbite (10-07-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 03:20 AM   #220
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wow what a piece of shit for just leaving like that. Seems like the car took a beating for a while there. Hope you got everything sorted and the bad luck stopped lol The car still looks great though keep it up

Those pics from Japan are incredible. Not even just the cars but the scenery in the mountains is breathtaking. Definitely on my bucket list to visit one day. Thanks for sharing
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
spike021 (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #221
spike021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
Wow what a piece of shit for just leaving like that. Seems like the car took a beating for a while there. Hope you got everything sorted and the bad luck stopped lol The car still looks great though keep it up

Those pics from Japan are incredible. Not even just the cars but the scenery in the mountains is breathtaking. Definitely on my bucket list to visit one day. Thanks for sharing
The whole thing with the accident was a total joke. I still need to work on getting estimates for diminished value...

Everything's mostly fine, but dealing with some engine issues at the moment. Might be related to either: coil packs, spark plugs, or injectors. Bringing it to the shop Friday for further diagnosis. Thanks otherwise dude! I appreciate it! It's such a fun car to customize in such a way that my vision for it comes to fruition, but without really 'ruining' it.

Thanks! Totally worthwhile experience to visit Japan. It was honestly somewhat life-changing, and I think about the trip almost every day. I'll probably head back some time next year because there's still so much more to see and do.
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 12:10 AM   #222
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
The whole thing with the accident was a total joke. I still need to work on getting estimates for diminished value...

Everything's mostly fine, but dealing with some engine issues at the moment. Might be related to either: coil packs, spark plugs, or injectors. Bringing it to the shop Friday for further diagnosis. Thanks otherwise dude! I appreciate it! It's such a fun car to customize in such a way that my vision for it comes to fruition, but without really 'ruining' it.

Thanks! Totally worthwhile experience to visit Japan. It was honestly somewhat life-changing, and I think about the trip almost every day. I'll probably head back some time next year because there's still so much more to see and do.
At least you had a dash cam to record everything otherwise I'm sure it would be a different situation. It is fun to make this car your own! At this point, there's no way to have a "unique" car, but I really appreciate all the aftermarket support this platform has. So many options and so many directions to take your build. If you do it right, you'll end up with a pretty sweet ride

Sounds incredible. Excited to one day go and visit. Seems like it's a wonderful experience
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #223
spike021

Updates:

I no longer have the tune, headers, and flex fuel kit installed.

Turns out the cat in the header had blown. It was previously used and to be honest I'm not sure how many miles were on it when I bought it. I know the cat was fine at the time of purchase and install, and that my issues began about a month after the tune (+ installs).

Posted much more in-depth info and a review of the shop that did the work. The whole thing turned into a negative experience for me, including being falsely accused of spreading misinformation and other false facts, like an assertion that the flex fuel kit I bought was used - I have proof of the contrary, I bought it brand new from a well-known person/shop in the community.

Link: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=462

Anyway, very long story short:

I'm giving my car some time and miles to get back to normal. Probably a few months/1000 miles.

So far it's been running much smoother on stock. Occasionally idle feels a little odd to me, but I might just need to get used to the car running stock again, rather than it being an issue.

Potential ideas:
  1. Keep JDL UEL headers I already have, get a shop to remove the cat if possible, re-tune using that one
  2. Buy a different header altogether (JDL EL catless, HKS, JDL UEL catless, Ace, etc.)
  3. Just keep flex fuel kit installed, keep stock headers
  4. Remove flex fuel kit, stay completely stock, no tune (or maybe just do OFT off the shelf tunes with stock engine..)

With all of these options that require custom tunes I'd likely try one of the companies that do e-tunes, with the exception of CSG.
Quote:
Old 11-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #224
MCTeeJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Updates:

I no longer have the tune, headers, and flex fuel kit installed.

Turns out the cat in the header had blown. It was previously used and to be honest I'm not sure how many miles were on it when I bought it. I know the cat was fine at the time of purchase and install, and that my issues began about a month after the tune (+ installs).

Posted much more in-depth info and a review of the shop that did the work. The whole thing turned into a negative experience for me, including being falsely accused of spreading misinformation and other false facts, like an assertion that the flex fuel kit I bought was used - I have proof of the contrary, I bought it brand new from a well-known person/shop in the community.

Link: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=462

Anyway, very long story short:

I'm giving my car some time and miles to get back to normal. Probably a few months/1000 miles.

So far it's been running much smoother on stock. Occasionally idle feels a little odd to me, but I might just need to get used to the car running stock again, rather than it being an issue.

Potential ideas:
  1. Keep JDL UEL headers I already have, get a shop to remove the cat if possible, re-tune using that one
  2. Buy a different header altogether (JDL EL catless, HKS, JDL UEL catless, Ace, etc.)
  3. Just keep flex fuel kit installed, keep stock headers
  4. Remove flex fuel kit, stay completely stock, no tune (or maybe just do OFT off the shelf tunes with stock engine..)

With all of these options that require custom tunes I'd likely try one of the companies that do e-tunes, with the exception of CSG.
I'm sorry about your bad experience. I highly recommend James Martin of HRI Tuning. He's a real cool dude. I guess the story goes his car was one of the first in his area to equip a turbo kit from a local shop and his tuner ran into issue after issue. Eventually he decided to do it himself, was happy with the results, and started doing friends cars. After that it was word of mouth. I was tuned in person since i'm only a 2.5 hour drive away, but most of his business is actually e-tuning. I just figure since you already have the parts you might as well put your money to use. Truth be told a quality tune can be better for the cars power and reliability.

Sorry about the paragraph man, but I guess I just think you shouldn't let the bad experience get you down, and you should give it another shot.