follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
cleethree

Drives: 2006 Lexus IS350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Finally test drove the FR-S

As most of you have, I've been following this car for a year or so now, and I've been itching to drive one. So I went over to my local dealer in Springfield, NJ (Autoland) and drove a red manual. They also had a hot lava auto in the showroom.

Just as other people mentioned, the clutch is weird. It's way too light and the engagement is very high. I got used to it after a few shifts, but I wish it was lower because in relation to the gas, it seems off. The shifter felt great. I didn't get the full experience because they had the shift knob off - but it was short and direct. It felt like an aftermarket short throw kit without the stiffness.

The steering was much heavier than I anticipated, which I like. But in all honestly, I was expecting a little more from it based on the reviews, comparisons to the Cayman, and of course the HYPE machine. I have to compare it to my old spyder and the MR-S handles MUCH better and is way more responsive to the wheel. It just didn't seem tossible, which I'd hope it would.

I took it up to about 5.5k in 2nd (sorry next guy) and I was a bit underwhelmed. Perhaps I'm too used to the speed now that I daily a 300 HP V6, but you don't really feel the car pull you into the seat. It's been a long time, but I'd say that the old RSX-S and Celica GT-S both "felt" faster. Maybe it's the VTEC/VVTL-i, who knows. If/when I get my own, there will definitely be boost, so power's not a huge issue - I guess.

The best part of my drive was that the sales woman (Marleen) was super nice and helpful. Unfortunately she wasn't very knowledgeable about the car. But I can't blame them when they have other, more popular cars to sell (Toyotas). They sell the car with 0 markup which is nice. The price on the site, is exactly what you get. My dealer also was giving away free money just to come in! I made $10 which covers the gas it took me to get there. What struck me as odd was that there were no floor mats and there doesn't seem to be an option for them.

So I'm not quite ready to purchase one yet as I've promised myself that property is my priority, but maybe after I close. I'm also hoping they come out with a Toyota variant with all the 86 GT goodies - hey let me wish!

Last edited by cleethree; 06-14-2012 at 12:28 AM.
cleethree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
A lot of people complain about the clutch but compared to many clutches I have felt on newer cars, which are pretty bad, this one felt fine to me. Maybe my opinion will change after driving it a while though. But I think it's just something to get used to like anything else.

Yeah, it's not the most tossable car out there. It feels more stable rather than responsive, which is fine, but not what I was expecting either. I also noticed the dip in power as I got it around 4k RPM. The low end torque feels good though so I think I can learn to work around the power dip.

The floor mats were probably in the trunk as they don't come pre-installed.

For people who have owned mid-engine sports cars like the MR-2/S and Porsche Boxster/Cayman, I am not surprised they'd be a little disappointed. But people coming from FWD or even AWD cars should be pretty impressed by it.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
ydooby

Drives: Toyota MR2 Supercharged
Yeah of course an FR car, with a heavy engine in the front, cannot match the turn-in responsiveness of an MR car, but the point of an FR car is all about balance and adjustability at the limit, which an MR car cannot match. It all comes down to your personal preference.
ydooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Bristecom

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydooby View Post
Yeah of course an FR car, with a heavy engine in the front, cannot match the turn-in responsiveness of an MR car, but the point of an FR car is all about balance and adjustability at the limit, which an MR car cannot match. It all comes down to your personal preference.
Well, I was actually comparing it to some AWD and even FWD cars out there. It's just not very responsive/reactive to small inputs. You have to turn the wheel more than most cars to get it moving and it doesn't really jerk around to quick inputs at lower speeds. Some of that may be due to the low center of gravity but I think it has more to do with the suspension/steering setup. It's not a bad thing though, just unexpected.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
You have to turn the wheel more than most cars to get it moving and it doesn't really jerk around to quick inputs at lower speeds.
Weird. I felt the FR-S's steering was more responsive/quick than any car I've ever driven. Just the slightest movement had me changing lanes during my short test drive.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
MVJ1975
Automatic Hooligan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
Weird. I felt the FR-S's steering was more responsive/quick than any car I've ever driven. Just the slightest movement had me changing lanes during my short test drive.
Agreed. I had to dodge left quickly to avoid a bus stopping for a stop at the last minute a few days ago and I was floored how quickly it moved. It was like it read my mind.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I saw a BRZ on cars.com in my area. Asphalt, Automatic. I traveled through rush hour traffic to test drive it. ..It was in the showroom, already sold. Kind of pissed me off since it was still on cars.com and i traveled through Mt. Doom to get there.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
Bristecom

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
What cars are you coming from? The Evo for example is much more responsive in this manner.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #9
cleethree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisked Accolade View Post
I saw a BRZ on cars.com in my area. Asphalt, Automatic. I traveled through rush hour traffic to test drive it. ..It was in the showroom, already sold. Kind of pissed me off since it was still on cars.com and i traveled through Mt. Doom to get there.
My local Subaru dealership wouldn't even let me test drive the car because it's so limited. I basically begged them to OPEN the doors of the car in the showroom!
Old 06-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
cleethree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydooby View Post
Ever driven an miata or s2k?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #11
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
There a diy your change the clutching point on here but i'm not going to do that until the car is broken in by switch I may have gotten use to it or the feel had changed due to break in

Don't want to jump the gun
Old 06-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
Well, I was actually comparing it to some AWD and even FWD cars out there. It's just not very responsive/reactive to small inputs. You have to turn the wheel more than most cars to get it moving and it doesn't really jerk around to quick inputs at lower speeds. Some of that may be due to the low center of gravity but I think it has more to do with the suspension/steering setup. It's not a bad thing though, just unexpected.
This is the electronic steering rack. You're not actaully connection to the wheels at all.
BlaineWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #13
cleethree

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
This is the electronic steering rack. You're not actaully connection to the wheels at all.
The MR-S was also electronically assisted.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #14
Bristecom

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
Not true. Nearly every car has a mechanical steering rack connecting the steering wheel with the suspension in case of failure and for better feel/feedback. The electric assistance is only for the power steering to lower the force needed to turn the wheel.