follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Hachiroku
Administrator

Drives: Boxster 986
Thanked 1,977 Times in 344 Posts
Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Post Top Gear Online Subaru BRZ review - if you enjoy driving, this is the car for you

Review via Top Gear Online

First drive: Subaru’s new BRZ coupe

Yes, we’ve finally got behind the wheel. Ollie Marriage reports back from Subaru’s Japanese test track

Posted by: Ollie Marriage , 03 December 2011

Name:  topgearbrz.jpg
Views: 7773
Size:  44.4 KB

First of all, let’s solve the mystery of the name. BRZ stands for Boxer, Rear-wheel drive, Zenith. That’s pretty clear isn’t it? Well, the first two parts are, and as for Zenith, that’s just Subaru’s way of saying this is the best it can do. Personally I think Subaru Zenith has more of a ring to it than Subaru BRZ which, let’s face it, isn’t exactly a dynamic name.

This is a a shame for a rather dynamic car. That’s right, we’ve finally, finally driven the BRZ. We had to go all the way to Subaru’s test track, two hours north of Tokyo to do so, but it was worth it.

So where to start? As suspected, both Subaru and Toyota have had specific tasks within this joint project. Toyota has been responsible for the design (which certainly isn’t the most dynamic aspect of the car), and has lent its direct injection technology to the engine. Subaru has done pretty much everything else. Talking to the engineers you get the sense this is very much Subaru’s car – the first development prototype was a cut n’ shut Legacy, the next an Impreza. This is good news, as we know Subaru can build great cars. The BRZ clearly has potential.

It’s a brand new car from scratch – a rare thing these days. The engine is mounted so low, Subaru believes it has a lower centre of gravity than a Ferrari 458. And a low engine is not only good for handling, but also means the driver can be sat low, yet still see over the bonnet. It’s snug inside, the design largely functional, the colour scheme mostly grey. It’s no Audi TT, but the impression is good because you’ve dropped so low into a wrap-around seat and your hands are clasping a small, feelsome wheel.

The driver’s seat is definitely the place to be. Subaru boasts that this is the world’s smallest four seat rear-wheel drive coupe, so you can guess what that means for those travelling in the back. And the boot seems to be a complete afterthought.

But enough of that, it’s the driving that counts. The 2.0-litre flat four is naturally aspirated, revs to 7,400rpm and develops 200bhp and 151lb ft of torque. These, you don’t need me to point out, aren’t massively impressive figures these days. And the BRZ isn’t a massively fast car. Final homologation happens next month, the expectation being a 0-62mph time of around 6.8secs with the CO2 target being 160g/km. I’d guess at a top speed of around 145mph, and 42mpg on the combined cycle.

It’s light though (1,220kg), and Subaru has worked the torque hard, so although the peak is between 6,400-6,600rpm, you have almost all of that before 3,000rpm. Put your foot down at low revs and it picks up healthily, aided by super-quick throttle response. But it tails off a bit through the mid-range, meaning you have to head for the high numbers to get your kicks. And that’s where the BRZ is at its best. It zips through the final 2,000rpm, feels keen and energetic and then, well, and then there’s the noise. We have high hopes…

Of course, it sounds different. This Boxer doesn’t chunter and warble like an old Impreza, it’s a smoother note than that, still slightly off-beat and noisy enough without being intrusive. It’s not Honda Type-R addictive, but it’s a plus, a whack more interesting to listen to than any four cylinder turbo you care to mention (VW Scirocco? Renaultsport Megane? Mini Cooper S?). It makes this a fun engine to use, but it’s not the best thing about the car.

Because the best thing is the handling. The BRZ steers like it has no weight to deal with. It doesn’t appear to roll, pitch or dive. It’s neither nose nor tail heavy, just a sense of the front and rear working in perfect harmony. You steer, it goes and when the grip runs out (it was pouring with rain in Japan), the BRZ is almost totally neutral. And you get so much warning of when that’s about to happen. I was nervous when I found out it had electric power steering, but this has to be about the best system I’ve tried – the springy weighting is lovely and real sensations are fed back into your hands.

How best to describe it as an overall package? Keen. Eager. It’s not puppy-ish in its enthusiasm, it’s a bit more measured than that, but it’s a lot of fun. Easily better to drive than a VW Scirocco; more agile and rewarding than any Audi TT. It may not have the lungs on a Nissan 370Z, but it’s way more dextrous and I can’t think of any hot hatch except possibly the Renaultsport Clio that provides as much satisfaction.

You can still tell that it’s a Subaru at heart – not just in the engine, but the steering and manual gearbox – but it’s like they’ve let Lotus loose on the chassis. Well, almost. The light frame does get a bit thrown by big bumps, but it never feels unnerving, instead it inspires confidence.

The manual gearbox is really good – mechanical and precise – and the six-speed auto is better than expected. It’s not a double clutch, but it’s just fast enough and intelligent enough to justify its presence in a sports car.

Any other criticisms? Well, being honest, the BRZ seems slightly out of step with other rivals. Subaru has ditched the turbo just as others have adopted it, it’s available with an unfashionable auto rather than a double clutch, the biggest wheels are likely to be 17s, there’s no adaptive damping or any other chassis trickery. But does this matter? It will to some buyers, just as the styling is too plain to tempt others. But if you enjoy driving, if you relish the thought of a compact rear-drive coupe, this is the car for you. Roughly 1,000 per year will come to the UK, starting in June, with prices from around £26,000-28,000.
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Hachiroku
Administrator

Another great compliment for the car's EPS which should put many members at ease :

Quote:
I was nervous when I found out it had electric power steering, but this has to be about the best system I’ve tried – the springy weighting is lovely and real sensations are fed back into your hands.

The same has also been said in the EVO Toyota 86 review @ http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2595
Old 12-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yes... YESSSSSSSSS. O_O

Edit: Hachi are you ware that people want to know who you are? Possibly a cat... I know it..

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
DuMa

Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
good review. cant wait for Top Gear TV to review this however
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Hmmm, it was leaning towards positive, but it didn't give too much in either way.

I can't wait for one of the trio to test it. I think Clarkson will like it because he loves drifting around things, but he'll definitely say it needs more POWAAAAA.

Hammond, will probably love it, because he's small and he likes good handling cars.

May will probably just complain about how plain the interior is. Although, he'll probably like the understated styling.

I CANNOT WAIT for TG to come back on!!
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Hachiroku
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
Yes... YESSSSSSSSS. O_O

Edit: Hachi are you ware that people want to know who you are? Possibly a cat... I know it..
I'm Hachi ??

Old 12-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
aliphian
Dreamer

Drives: Nutless Grocery Getter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I can't wait to see this car on the show. Judging by the reviews it seems that Toyota/Subaru have hit a home run.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
aliphian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachiroku View Post
I'm Hachi ??

You got great hair.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
cant wait for top gear presenters to give it a go
Old 12-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
FYI: Ollie Marriage also writes regularly for EVO magazine, meaning he "gets it". He does seem to get wrapped up a bit in the statistics in his article, but still manages to get the driving experience across.

Yet another very positive review. Have we read a bad one yet?!
Old 12-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
cant wait for top gear presenters to give it a go
This. Hopefully it isn't James May. Hammond or Clarkson.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
FYI: Ollie Marriage also writes regularly for EVO magazine, meaning he "gets it". He does seem to get wrapped up a bit in the statistics in his article, but still manages to get the driving experience across.

Yet another very positive review. Have we read a bad one yet?!
That's the awesome thing! There hasn't been one bad review yet!!!

Damn! They did it right!! I feel like I don't even need to test drive it. Just throw some cash in the dealers face, grab the nearest car and GTFO to the nearest track!!
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
tranzformer

I am still interested why we haven't learned more about Yamaha's role in the engine. Have we read anything recently that mentions their role?
Old 12-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
aliphian
Dreamer

Drives: Nutless Grocery Getter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
I am still interested why we haven't learned more about Yamaha's role in the engine. Have we read anything recently that mentions their role?
That's a good question. Was their involvement ever anything more than mere speculation?

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
aliphian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz top gear, subaru brz top gear, top gear brz, top gear brz review, top gear subaru brz