follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List
AIRFRS1, go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 07-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #6231
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
I appreciate the offer! But I think this is work that Subaru will have to perform.

It's the dreaded P0018 check engine light/slip light combination code. There's a lot of threads in the "Issues/Warranty/TSB" forum that explain this issue in full, but basically the code is for a faulty cam actuator system on the intake side. The car is running perfectly fine, but it's in "limp" mode, meaning I'm only getting about 60% of my power. As if this car wasn't slow enough to start with, it's an absolute DOG now...getting onto the highway is scary, with the pedal glued to the floor in 3rd and barely moving.

On the advice of Subaru Brampton service manager, I swapped the sensors from one bank to the other to see if the code flipped sides, but it did not. So I took my car to Subaru Brampton yesterday for a diag.

Turns out the "learning values" in my ECU are 14 apart from each other, when they should be less than 10 apart. According to the service manager, that means the worst case scenario; my cam actuators, oil control valves, camshaft assembly with sprocket, and probably the ECU will all have to be changed to potentially eliminate the problem.

I've seen a lot of other owners in the threads about this issue have to do the same thing. The advantage they have is warranty. I am at 110k now, and no extended warranty, so this is looking like I'll have to foot the entire bill.

That is what is pissing me off the most about this whole thing. 99% of the stories I've read about this issue are from people who are still in warranty, so all of this was repaired at no expense. It is a KNOWN issue that has happened on hundreds, if not thousands, of cars in North America alone. There are TSB's that exist that talk about this SPECIFIC code. And yet, Subaru and Toyota don't want to take the blame or admit a fault. So basically, simply because I'm 10k over warranty, I am now being held responsible to spend $2k of my own money to fix a KNOWN issue.

I have reached out to Subaru Canada to discuss and see if there's anything they can do, because I think that's bullshit, plain and simple, and I'm not spending a penny until I hear from them. I'm going to fight tooth and nail, and if they don't bend, sadly I might sell this car and never buy another Subaru product ever again.

Sorry for the rant. I'm not happy about this whole situation, if you couldn't tell.

Holy crap! I just looked up a thread on that and you're right. You can try contacting CAMVAP. They might be able to help you but wow that should've been a recall! What year is your brz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #6232
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
Holy crap! I just looked up a thread on that and you're right. You can try contacting CAMVAP. They might be able to help you but wow that should've been a recall! What year is your brz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 model year. Very early build date though; June 2012.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:18 AM   #6233
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just saw a red facelift FRS trying to chase down a Dart by cutting in and out of 4 lanes with much traffic southbound on the 404 near the Steeles ramp.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:25 AM   #6234
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Spotted a bunch of Toyobaru's this weekend at CTMP for the IMSA Mobil 1 GP!

I have over 2800 photos to go through, but I'll post an album of all the racing action once I sort it!
Old 07-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #6235
SLVRSRFR

Lots of twins at HyperMeeting yesterday! Good to see some of y'all!

I got a wicked sunburn and I think there's still about a pound of dust in my lungs. But it was a great day. The free food was amazing!
dre208 (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #6236
Marat

Drives: '15 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
Spotted a bunch of Toyobaru's this weekend at CTMP for the IMSA Mobil 1 GP!

I have over 2800 photos to go through, but I'll post an album of all the racing action once I sort it!
Hey man! the blue frs is mine. Were you the guy that asked me about the regas sat night?
Marat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marat For This Useful Post:
JBezugs (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 10:36 PM   #6237
Gehnecide

Drives: 2016 Halo Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
Ah shit man I should have known it was you because of the wing! lol. Good seeing you again too! Small world. Didn't recognize you because of the sunglasses LOL.

They did have a bronze tinge to them but I wasn't sure, so I just said black LOL they weren't that dirty. Glad to know they're holding up for you!

He broke your exhaust? Or the gasket? Jeez...I had just left Subaru when you saw me and found out I need close to $2k in repairs to get rid of this goddamn check engine light that came on last week. Not a happy camper right now.

he broke his Greddy RS i was guna buy as he was taking it off or on his way home something like that. was so pumped to get it too

god damn, can you pull scrap parts theres a guy on kijiji selling his wrecked brz for 5k on kijiji maybe we can hustle his engine?
Gehnecide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gehnecide For This Useful Post:
SLVRSRFR (07-11-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 10:46 PM   #6238
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
Hey man! the blue frs is mine. Were you the guy that asked me about the regas sat night?
Yep that was me!

Last edited by JBezugs; 07-11-2017 at 01:03 PM.
JBezugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBezugs For This Useful Post:
Marat (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 04:55 AM   #6239
Delgado

Drives: Blackbird FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
exchanged waves with a silver twin going down the 400 South the other day on my way to work so it must have been just before or around noon. I was in the asphalt FRS getting off at black creek. Luck or is there an actual sense of community out there ? before this I got no love, though I always try to wave or throw up some deuces.
Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #6240
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Shout outs dude in the blue brz with valentis killing it yesterday on the QEW around 510pm between dorval and ford... Machine is either boosted or homie is really good with those downshifts..
TorontoNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #6241
SLVRSRFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gehnecide View Post
he broke his Greddy RS i was guna buy as he was taking it off or on his way home something like that. was so pumped to get it too

god damn, can you pull scrap parts theres a guy on kijiji selling his wrecked brz for 5k on kijiji maybe we can hustle his engine?
I'm trying to get in touch with Subaru Canada customer service to complain. It's a known issue that I believe should be covered even though I'm out of warranty. If they don't want to help me, I will speak to CAMVAP (Vehicle Arbitration Plan) and see if I have a leg to stand on.

I don't know if I'd be comfortable getting used parts, because the same issue could potentially pop up again if the parts in that engine are also faulty.

I'm just debating whether I should pay to fix my car now and fight for reimbursement, or hold off on spending any money until I find out if they'll help me or not. I requested contact from Subaru Canada on Friday and still haven't heard from anyone yet.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #6242
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Drives: Subaru BRZ JRSC'd
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gehnecide View Post

Yeah that was me with the Greddy exhaust that broke, the hanger and adjacent metal it was welded to peeled itself off the rest of the muffler while on an on ramp, not sure where buddy here got the part about breaking while uninstalling lmao. Super pissed, exhaust was almost brand new... was selling it to use cash on another exhaust so losing $500 is a huge piss off since i had to buy the other one in addition to this broken greddy sitting in my garage. Greddy offering zero warranty replacement.

So much for the whole real parts are faultless theory

I guess it gives me an excuse to cut off the Greddy cannon and replace it with a Varex, i miss that exhaust setup
Old 07-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #6243
SLVRSRFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehda View Post
Yeah that was me with the Greddy exhaust that broke, the hanger and adjacent metal it was welded to peeled itself off the rest of the muffler while on an on ramp, not sure where buddy here got the part about breaking while uninstalling lmao. Super pissed, exhaust was almost brand new... was selling it to use cash on another exhaust so losing $500 is a huge piss off since i had to buy the other one in addition to this broken greddy sitting in my garage. Greddy offering zero warranty replacement.

So much for the whole real parts are faultless theory

I guess it gives me an excuse to cut off the Greddy cannon and replace it with a Varex, i miss that exhaust setup
Dang, Chris. Sorry to hear that. What a piss-off.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #6244
tanner

Drives: '10 S4/'13 BRZ/'16 GT4/E30 M3
Red FRS around 5 (i think?) at the 7-eleven on Denison/McCowan, stopped there to get a free slurpee as it's 7/11 today.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

tanner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
:popcorn:, tag many things