follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #351
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,414 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama View Post
FWIW, after looking at install instructions... this kit just extends the bottom lever of the stock shifter. This is generally not the greatest way to implement a quick shift since it alters the angle and reduces clearances. The "proper" way would be to ALSO move the pivot point UP so that the linkage to the transmission remains parallel to the ground and maintains the most efficient transfer of forces. I believe this is what all the other full kits accomplish, and thus include the entire assembly.

Additionally, I'm worried about the strength of the adapter piece, as it will no way be as strong as the shift lever itself. The adapter cup appears to be made from stamped sheet metal, and also looks like the weakest link, subject to the most amount of prying/rotational force. If this adapter cup thingy breaks, then you won't be able to shift. I can't see this being very ideal in a "slam into gear shift as fast as humanly possible on the track" environment...

That being said, at least it won't void warranty if anything happens...
The adapter is milled aluminum and is actually pretty beefy. I wouldn't worry about breaking it. I believe that the rear bushing that comes with the TRD kit may fix some of that angle you refer too. I could be wrong, but It does seem to raise the back up a bit. (Edit: Nevermind on the bushing, I re-read your post and the new bushing doesn't move the pivot point)

With that being said. Anyone else have a terrible time getting the bolt treaded? It would get maybe a thread in, then bind. It went in no problem with it out of the car, just as soon as I installed the adapter, the bolt felt like it wouldn't line up correctly. Even after I got it threaded (45 minutes -1 hour fighting it). The shift linkage end wouldn't fit in the bottom of the adapter, because it was hitting the bolt head. I had to back the bolt out(just enough to create some slack to move things around), slip the linkage in, and then torque the bolt down. This seems to have made 4th a bit mushy to get in, but I don't really know what it should feel like in the first place. The feeling could be caused by something else altogether.

Every other gear feels just as described in this thread, bit more force to get it in, and super short throw. So I am very happy. I should also note that I took the clutch helper spring out at the same time. Both of these mods are near perfect. Now I just need to find a way to take up the slack in the clutch pedal..
Old 09-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #352
kosoku

Drives: 2013 fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama View Post
FWIW, after looking at install instructions... this kit just extends the bottom lever of the stock shifter. This is generally not the greatest way to implement a quick shift since it alters the angle and reduces clearances. The "proper" way would be to ALSO move the pivot point UP so that the linkage to the transmission remains parallel to the ground and maintains the most efficient transfer of forces. I believe this is what all the other full kits accomplish, and thus include the entire assembly.

Additionally, I'm worried about the strength of the adapter piece, as it will no way be as strong as the shift lever itself. The adapter cup appears to be made from stamped sheet metal, and also looks like the weakest link, subject to the most amount of prying/rotational force. If this adapter cup thingy breaks, then you won't be able to shift. I can't see this being very ideal in a "slam into gear shift as fast as humanly possible on the track" environment...

That being said, at least it won't void warranty if anything happens...

You're probably right. I'm sure Toyota/TRD put very little time into r&d this thing and they have very little history with this stuff.

Please read with sarcasm.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #353
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
And that's why they have two different kits, one from JP and this US one. And also why Sti doesn't offer one in the USDM, but has one in the JDM market which is like the JDM TRD kit.

I'm sure this one will work fine. It's just not the best implementation imo.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #354
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,414 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
After Installing the Whiteline Positive shift kit(and rear subframe inserts), The shifting is crazy tight and precise. There is no slack. It is quite a bit tougher to get into gear, but I do imagine that things will loosen up a bit(hopefully not much). I can't imagine what moving to a stock car would feel like. It really is a must install.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #355
Captain Caveman

Drives:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Can't wait to install mine!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #356
A3r0pusH

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Posted this is the trd quickshift discussion thread, but wanted to put this here in case someone knows but isn't in that thread.

Installed yesterday and while the throw is shorter, it takes a lot of effort to get the car in gear. Thought the moving joints needed grease, but even after grease its still really hard to shift. This goes beyond any "cold start wait till it warms up" shifting problems. I took the pieces apart again and made sure everything was lined up correctly, but still have a very hard time shifting. Any ideas?
A3r0pusH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #357
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A3r0pusH View Post
Posted this is the trd quickshift discussion thread, but wanted to put this here in case someone knows but isn't in that thread.

Installed yesterday and while the throw is shorter, it takes a lot of effort to get the car in gear. Thought the moving joints needed grease, but even after grease its still really hard to shift. This goes beyond any "cold start wait till it warms up" shifting problems. I took the pieces apart again and made sure everything was lined up correctly, but still have a very hard time shifting. Any ideas?
Like I mentioned earlier, misalignment of the shift joints/angles. Doesn't mean it is bad, but it's not the most efficient. Instead of the force of the linkages moving in the originally designed plane of travel, they'll be slightly off, so it'll take more effort. The proper short shift execution is to move the pivot ball upwards, so that the shift linkage is on the same plane once you extend the lever under the pivot ball.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #358
Top-Secret

Drives: FRS monogram
Garage
So i just installed my kartboy shortshifter, my buddy was sitting here with me watching me do the install and then it clicks, as he has the trd quick shifter and knowing how much of a bitch it was to install from under the car as per toyotas crappy instructions. Well im here to tell you all, that its wrong, very very wrong! Do it from the top as per a kartboy install. We had to retighten his as he was a dumb dumb and did not use locktight. Doing it this way you can properlly tighten the 'extension'
As i have read that one of the biggest problems of this kit is the shifter play.. well doing it this way there is almost zero. Like literally next to nothing. If i didnt just take mine out i would have compared them but i would have to say its atleast as good or actually LESS play then stock. You can not do the entire install from the top because you still need to replace the bushing
But i highly recommend everyone get at it this way and retighten and you should notice a difference. Will be different for everyone but none the less a difference @KonTheory
Top-Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Secret For This Useful Post:
ISDriven (12-04-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #359
Top-Secret

Drives: FRS monogram
Garage
Also, removing the dustboot is sooo much easier, instead of a 90% ripping it you have a 90% chance npt wrecking it
Top-Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #360
Cop

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Chiming in after having installed the kit a week ago, much like the rest of the people here I am a boot-ripper. The rest of the install went fairly well, though I did put the bolt into the adapter the wrong way. Overall driving impressions are great, throws are short but do require a bit more effort to get into gear. Didn't have any issues with cold-starts until this morning, I found it surprisingly hard to get it into 1st, but this hasn't been an issue any other day. Overall great purchase, easy install, recommend.
Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #361
rs999

Drives: VW MK6 GTI | 13 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I bought one of these TRD quick shift kits off eBay today. I am going to combine it with my weighted Raceseng Topologi knob and see how it does during my daily drive and upcoming time attack in November.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #362
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Its pretty sweet, no complaints here

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #363
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Since this seems like the unofficial TRD Quickshifter mega thread, I want to share a problem I have discovered that may relate to using this in conjunction with the Perrin rear shifter stay bushing. The following is what happens when one installs the shifter rod parts of the kit and the Perrin rear shifter bushing.

Issue:

The shift linkage arm, which has been dropped by the Quickshifter, comes in contact with the driveline knuckle in 4th and 2nd gear- a very audible rumbling with significant feedback through the lever like you forgot a bolt and the whole thing is loose and rumbling around. When I took the car around the block after install, it was a constant rattle whenever I shifted into 2nd or 4th (primarily 4th, 2nd was intermittent). All others were fine.

After 10 or so minutes driving in the other gears (to try and see if the rattle was temporary as the quickshifter settles in), the problem indeed got better and I could shift and cruise into 4th with no driveline contact 90% of the time. There are times the linkage arm will come in contact with the driveline, exacerbated by medium-large bumps or if I shift and then continue pulling 'down' on the shifter after 4th is engaged. 2nd gear causes rubbing/collision when cold but not at temp.. interesting..

Here's some pics taken with a potato that probably won't convey the point:

TRD Quickshifter and Perrin installed, to confirm I'm not pulling your leg

Ultra-detailed high fidelity breakdown of the issue area

You can barely make out the place where the linkage rod and knuckle of the driveline were rubbing. In person you can most definitely make out the place where they rubbed- bare steel on the rod and little knick of paint off the tip curls of each knuckle

Conclusion:

Swapping out the perrin for the kit mount and bushing eliminated the shifter linkage/driveline collision. Shifting is crisp, smooth, rub free and QUICK. ( describes my sex life with the fiancée lately ) 5th and 6th feel stock throw surprisingly, but 1st through 4th... goooood lord what a difference. Even helped out with 1st-2nd upshifts and 2nd being a bitch when cold. Clocked around 50 miles on the shifter post install where I tried hard braking in every gear- acceleration, slamming the bugger in there etc. No rubbing at all

--

Fully recommend this piece. Confirms what most others who installed it correctly (everyone but myself and @stockysnail apparently haha) have to say about it. Very smooth, OEM feel. Short shifts, smooth and buttery gates.. more force needed, but not excessive.

Mods to clutch system for reference:

- 3/4 swapped Slave Cylinder
- Whiteline transmission insert
- Mtec springs
- Motul 300

Will update after a couple thousand miles seat time with it

Last edited by Koa; 12-20-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (12-19-2014), JohnJuan (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #364
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
Since this seems like the unofficial TRD Quickshifter mega thread, I want to share my thoughts on install and a problem I have discovered that may relate to using this in conjunction with the Perrin rear shifter stay bushing:

Install:

Not that bad in the driveway on stands- follow the TRD directions and pay attention to their orientation and the process should flow smoothly. I recommend high strength locktite or equivalent. The yellow thread locker on these does not look confidence inspiring (I do realize the inability to determine a substance's physical properties by looks alone :P )

I did not install the rear bracket and bushing and left my Perrin rear shifter bushing in its place. For science.

Problem:

The shift linkage arm, which has been dropped by the Quickshifter, comes in contact with the driveline knuckle in 4th gear. It is a very familiar feeling and those who have had a number of manual platforms with installed short shifters/changed shift geometry have probably felt it at one point or another - a very audible rumbling with significant feedback through the lever- like you forgot a bolt and the whole thing is loose and rumbling around. When I took the car around the block after install, it was a constant rattle whenever I shifted into that gear. All others were fine.

After 10 or so minutes driving in the other gears (to try and see if the rattle was temporary as the quickshifter settles in), the problem indeed got better and I could shift and cruise into 4th with no driveline contact 90% of the time. There are times the linkage arm will come in contact with the driveline, exacerbated by medium-large bumps or if I shift and then continue pulling 'down' on the shifter after 4th is engaged (read: continue to put weight on the shift knob pulling the rod towards the rear of the vehicle)

Conclusion:

To be determined. I will update this post when I get the car back on the stands tonight and the Perrin rear bushing swapped out with the supplied TRD one. @stockysnail and I are experiencing variations of the same problem, with the same rear shifter stay bushing installed, yet in different gears (his driveline grind is in 2nd- mine is in 4th).
Finally someone that doesn't think I'm crazy and had the same issue. I returned mine a while ago.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote