follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #281
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Put mine in today along w mtec springs and the whiteline positive shift bushing.

Install was easy but could've been easier without a motiv midpipe with a custom helmholtz on it. I didn't have to remove it, but all in all Pretty easy. Took me about 30. Mind you I was on a lift.

Initially without the springs , big improvement. Actually huge. Much shorter but much stiffer to shift. Put in the mtec springs and it goes in easier and feels like it supposed to be in gear now opposed to before.

If you don't mind more effort to put her in gear , you'll love this. Much shorter travel distance and a huge improvement in my book. Should've been like this from factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #282
nadbrz
Learnin a little everyday

Drives: '13 Crystal Black Silica BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I installed mine couple of days back and I am so glad I did. It gives a whole different feel to this car. Wish they come from factory itself. No issues so far.
nadbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:51 PM   #283
zoth

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbound972 View Post
Again?? Not cool! I have had and still have that cluttering noise when in neutral when slowing down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Have that too, but not sure it's the shifter. I have it before and after. Explained that to my dealer several times and they can't seem to figured the cause of the rattle when slowing down. Oh, well at least I have document so that if something comes up I'm covered. The only thing SOA said to then is that the car is never meant to be quite.
zoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #284
texasbound972
USMC

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6-MT Raven
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
One of my friends said his Camaro does that too. Because of the vibrations. Whatevs. Shifts great with the TRD setup and drives even better with the e85 tune !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #285
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I just installed my TRD quickshifter. The throw is surprisingly extremely short.

Did you guys put the thrust washer back on behind the clip?

The directions only said to save the retainer clip for re-installion so I left the washer out. The pictures doesn't show the washer put back on either. But I'm having difficulty smoothly shifting to the gears on the left side without pushing into the left with some force before going up to first or down to second. I have a feeling that the washer might help push the shift control shift the extra 1mm distance for it to smoothly go into the gears on the left side (if I can even get the washer to fit).

All of my gears feel kinda crunchy. I tightened, used threadlocker, and torqued everything down to spec, though.

I tried to peel off the OEM boot as carefully as I can, but ended up tearing it anyway, so no going back for me.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #286
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM View Post
I just installed my TRD quickshifter. The throw is surprisingly extremely short.

Did you guys put the thrust washer back on behind the clip?

The directions only said to save the retainer clip for re-installion so I left the washer out. The pictures doesn't show the washer put back on either. But I'm having difficulty smoothly shifting to the gears on the left side without pushing into the left with some force before going up to first or down to second. I have a feeling that the washer might help push the shift control shift the extra 1mm distance for it to smoothly go into the gears on the left side (if I can even get the washer to fit).

All of my gears feel kinda crunchy. I tightened, used threadlocker, and torqued everything down to spec, though.

I tried to peel off the OEM boot as carefully as I can, but ended up tearing it anyway, so no going back for me.
lol... I was about to post the same thing about the washer and boot. I did the installation today too, and I'm not the most mechanically inclined. I ripped that boot off too, after cussing and being gentle with it, I figured I probably wasn't going back.

I did not put the washer back on. I may regret not putting some blue loctite on the adapter bolt. But it was actually quite difficult to thread in - I hand tightened it as far as it would go before using a tool as well.

I did notice it was notchier than before. But I still love it. I have MTEC shift springs and Pentosin MTF2 fluid.
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #287
TM

Garage
I went back and retightened everything. I pushed the adapter into the shift lever in as much as I can and overtightened the bolt a little bit. It's easy to shift to the gears on the left side now (first and second), but I need to use some force to shift into the gears on the right side now (fifth and sixth). I just can't win.. So what I was experiencing with 1st and 2nd, I'm now experiencing in 5th and 6th. I just there just isn't a lot of slack and I need to tighten the bolt just right.

I'm also experiencing a lot of free-play. I know the bolt is tightened, since I just tightened it and even overtorqued it a little bit.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #288
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Garage
You should not be able to use the washer because the adapter is a bit wider than the stock hole that pin goes through. If you really want no play at all, find a washer that's about half the thickness of the stock one and use that. I would imagine that you're going to get some vibrations if doing this, though, just like if you were to add a second washer to the stock setup.

As far as having a lot of free play, see my two videos earlier. If you need me to repost, let me know, this thread is getting pretty long. It shows a good comparison of what normal free play is in each gear vs how much free play you have when your adapter is loose in each gear. If its forward/backward free play, it isn't the adapter. Did you use the included bushing?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #289
TM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
You should not be able to use the washer because the adapter is a bit wider than the stock hole that pin goes through. If you really want no play at all, find a washer that's about half the thickness of the stock one and use that. I would imagine that you're going to get some vibrations if doing this, though, just like if you were to add a second washer to the stock setup.

As far as having a lot of free play, see my two videos earlier. If you need me to repost, let me know, this thread is getting pretty long. It shows a good comparison of what normal free play is in each gear vs how much free play you have when your adapter is loose in each gear. If its forward/backward free play, it isn't the adapter. Did you use the included bushing?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I replaced the rear bushing as well. The amount of free-play I have is similar to your first video before you tightened the adapter bolt.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #290
xxBrun0xx

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, I replaced the rear bushing as well. The amount of free-play I have is similar to your first video before you tightened the adapter bolt.
Maybe you cross threaded the adapter? If your shifter is loose like that, the adapter is loose, there's really nothing else it can be, as far as I know. I'd get under the car, pull the boot off, and see how much play there is in the adapter with the car in gear. There shouldn't be much. How much of he threaded end of the bolt is sticking out of the adapter? If it's flush, it's definitely too lose.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #291
TM

Garage
Thanks. I was under my car 3 times this week between installing and rechecking my headers and quickshifter in my apartment complex parking lot, so I'm spent. I'll probably leave it the way it is until a later date. For future reference, how much of your bolt was sticking out of the end of the adapter?
Old 06-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #292
xxBrun0xx

Garage
Quote:
Thanks. I was under my car 3 times this week between installing and rechecking my headers and quickshifter in my apartment complex parking lot, so I'm spent. I'll probably leave it the way it is until a later date. For future reference, how much of your bolt was sticking out of the end of the adapter?
I'd say between 1/8" to 1/4". I've got to get under the car for an oil change this weekend, so I'll take some pics then. I've got a lift, so the pics should come out pretty good.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:33 AM   #293
Aaron.H

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i have had my TRD kit along with MTEC springs & whiteline positive shift kit all bought & just been sitting in the basement for like a month now(been putting it off), think tomorrow i will get around to finally installing them
Aaron.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:39 AM   #294
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
I'd say between 1/8" to 1/4". I've got to get under the car for an oil change this weekend, so I'll take some pics then. I've got a lift, so the pics should come out pretty good.
Please take pics, I'm very interested now. I don't recall seeing the bolt stick out the other end. On the side with the bolt head, I can just barely stick my fingernail in there, and I was torquing on it hard. I made sure the new adapter was flush against the shift lever eyelet thingy before tightening... The bolt head is on the same side as the clip for the shift rod.

Adapter bolt was so damn tight that I'm not too worried about the lack of extra loctite. No problems with shifting. I'll check free play tomorrow.
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote