follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
10 worst car flops 2012

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-10-w...37.html?page=1

Yes, these car either look really ugly OR no practical for those electrical hybrid at this time. I can't believe MT name Telsa COY either !
Man, the civic was one of the best but now it become a flop this year. Don't know what causes ! Anyway lucky me, I was thinking an SI but 86 just arrival right in time for me :-)
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_86 View Post
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-10-w...37.html?page=1

Yes, these car either look really ugly OR no practical for those electrical hybrid at this time. I can't believe MT name Telsa COY either !
Man, the civic was one of the best but now it become a flop this year. Don't know what causes ! Anyway lucky me, I was thinking an SI but 86 just arrival right in time for me :-)
The Tesla is a fantastic car in it's own right.

Can't disagree with most on that list, but for most of them it's a big, "Who cares."

This thread really belongs in off topic.

Cheers
Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
zaptorque

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
damn, that acura zdk is ugly as hell

zaptorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
that list loses all consideration with the inclusion of the mini.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Style
LXXXVI

Drives: Dahlia (Raven FR-S)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So whats wrong with the Mini Coop? I like it.
Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Oh, how wrong you were Mitsubishi, to assume that small electric cars are the near future. I knew it was the beginning of the end for them when they started embracing the eco market and phasing out their sports/performance/rally car image. Not only that, but they are the only major manufacturer to not offer gasoline direct injection, which is ironic because they were the first ones to bring it to mass market in the 90's. In fact, they were always ahead of the curve with new technologies but now they are falling behind and going off in a strange and risky direction. I really hope you pull yourself back Mitsubishi!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
JDMenrique
DEEEERP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Garage
If Honda doesn't rebound with something big after that lackluster Civic then they're in trouble.
JDMenrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
The civic deff belong there

1st time ever the civic was not recommended by Consumer Reports

they cheaped out on the build quality soo much. The Civic still sold well thanks to name/brand but Honda did not want all the bad press. the 2013 is a huge plus over the 2012 but just seems like what the 2012 should of at least been
Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Style View Post
So whats wrong with the Mini Coop? I like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
that list loses all consideration with the inclusion of the mini.
I would have respected that list more if they'd put the right picture of the Mini Coupe next to its listing. They pictured the Mini Cooper; the Coupe is that new thing with the rear-sloping roof. Looks like a shrunk-down BMW X6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
Oh, how wrong you were Mitsubishi, to assume that small electric cars are the near future. I knew it was the beginning of the end for them when they started embracing the eco market and phasing out their sports/performance/rally car image. Not only that, but they are the only major manufacturer to not offer gasoline direct injection, which is ironic because they were the first ones to bring it to mass market in the 90's. In fact, they were always ahead of the curve with new technologies but now they are falling behind and going off in a strange and risky direction. I really hope you pull yourself back Mitsubishi!
They've been selling that exact car in Japan, pretty much unchanged, for... god, a lot of years. And they do sell quite a few of them there. I saw enough of them while I was there that I'd consider it a successful model. Maybe the reason it didn't take off in America is because there's been zero advertising for it; I honestly didn't know it'd made it over here till I saw this list, and I consider myself a car guy. Then again, it's also a lot easier to make an electric car successful in a small, densely populated country like Japan, as opposed to America where many people have commutes that are over a hundred miles a day.
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
I would have respected that list more if they'd put the right picture of the Mini Coupe next to its listing. They pictured the Mini Cooper; the Coupe is that new thing with the rear-sloping roof. Looks like a shrunk-down BMW X6.

haha i guess if i read something instead of just looked at the pictures i might not have said that. well read it a little more closely. its stupid that they say it should still sell well but its a flop. what do they mean flop?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
haha i guess if i read something instead of just looked at the pictures i might not have said that. well read it a little more closely. its stupid that they say it should still sell well but its a flop. what do they mean flop?
I'm guessing they're using it as a synonym for "we think it's a hideous design". They really should have just come out and called the list "10 Ugliest Cars of 2012."

I can't imagine they're selling many of those, though. The convertible, sure... why not. It's not my cup of tea, but meh. That Coupe, however.... why? Just why?! It's no faster than the standard Cooper (in comparable trim), it doesn't handle any better. Having two seats instead of four can't be good for insurance purposes. It's like they made a car for people who wanted a Mini, but were concerned that they were just too gosh darn practical. Cause it sure as hell isn't any better looking than the Cooper!
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
They've been selling that exact car in Japan, pretty much unchanged, for... god, a lot of years. And they do sell quite a few of them there. I saw enough of them while I was there that I'd consider it a successful model. Maybe the reason it didn't take off in America is because there's been zero advertising for it; I honestly didn't know it'd made it over here till I saw this list, and I consider myself a car guy. Then again, it's also a lot easier to make an electric car successful in a small, densely populated country like Japan, as opposed to America where many people have commutes that are over a hundred miles a day.
Oh sure, I know it's been in Japan for a while and it makes much more sense there. But I was referring more to some statements made by the head guys that that's the direction they want to go now and the image they want to have. And as you say, especially for America, I feel that is definitely the wrong way to go.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
fatoni

Quote:
I'm guessing they're using it as a synonym for "we think it's a hideous design". They really should have just come out and called the list "10 Ugliest Cars of 2012."

I can't imagine they're selling many of those, though. The convertible, sure... why not. It's not my cup of tea, but meh. That Coupe, however.... why? Just why?! It's no faster than the standard Cooper (in comparable trim), it doesn't handle any better. Having two seats instead of four can't be good for insurance purposes. It's like they made a car for people who wanted a Mini, but were concerned that they were just too gosh darn practical. Cause it sure as hell isn't any better looking than the Cooper!
personally, i believe it will be a flop. its a stupid car. the thing that strikes me as odd is that they think it will sell well and still call it a flop. yeah its kinda ugly but in a very subjective way (not like the aztek which has been scientifically proven to be ugly)