follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2018, 10:42 PM   #1359
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Ace only make the manifold, have nothing to do with the tune. It is sold through a number of retailers. There are no tie ins with any specific tuner, it's just that DT often gets mentioned. It is Shiv who is not supporting this as, unsurprisingly, they have their own manifold. Supporting the Ace offerings would take away his sales.

Just find a local tuner who can dyno tune and pay for it or upgrade to EcuTek.
You can certainly go that route, but be prepared to spend countless hours on the dyno to get anywhere near the level of performance and refinement that @DeliciousTuning has gotten with the ACE header. I’m sure that other tuners have gotten good results with the ACE header, but there’s no question @DeliciousTuning is the gold standard. Contrary to what you said, the ACE header was designed and developed from the get-go with @DeliciousTuning doing the tuning and originally brought to market through @CounterSpace Garage. Those three parties worked together for a very long time testing numerous revisions on the track and and on the dyno - for me, I would never think of running the ACE header without @DeliciousTuning doing the tuning.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RJasonKlein For This Useful Post:
byun (08-25-2018), CSG Mike (08-24-2018), justinco (08-24-2018), Tristor (08-24-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 01:48 AM   #1360
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJasonKlein View Post
You can certainly go that route, but be prepared to spend countless hours on the dyno to get anywhere near the level of performance and refinement that @DeliciousTuning has gotten with the ACE header. I’m sure that other tuners have gotten good results with the ACE header, but there’s no question @DeliciousTuning is the gold standard. Contrary to what you said, the ACE header was designed and developed from the get-go with @DeliciousTuning doing the tuning and originally brought to market through @CounterSpace Garage. Those three parties worked together for a very long time testing numerous revisions on the track and and on the dyno - for me, I would never think of running the ACE header without @DeliciousTuning doing the tuning.
I see the point of view but this is the exact reason that steered me away from the header. Being tied to ecutek, a particular tuner, and its total costs are just not worth the extra bit the ace provides over other proper UEL setups and a good tune. Granted if you want the best NA performance for the car, you just gotta bite the bullet. Myself I am always about quality parts but also whats the best bang for my buck.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
phm14 (05-12-2020), smg1138 (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 06:43 PM   #1361
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I would never think of running the ACE header without @DeliciousTuning doing the tuning.
You're in the USA, we have a different manifold (CS400) which is catered by my tuner over here. I would only consider their tune FWIW.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (08-25-2018), CSG Mike (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 07:02 PM   #1362
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Did you mention @DeliciousTuning enough?

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (08-25-2018), RJasonKlein (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 09:28 PM   #1363
Spawn_Of_Creation
Human

Drives: 2015 BRZ Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
You're in the USA, we have a different manifold (CS400) which is catered by my tuner over here. I would only consider their tune FWIW.
They have a RHD A350 now too.

http://aceheader.com/index.php/produ...-header-detail
Kodename47 (08-26-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 10:07 PM   #1364
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
I see the point of view but this is the exact reason that steered me away from the header. Being tied to ecutek, a particular tuner, and its total costs are just not worth the extra bit the ace provides over other proper UEL setups and a good tune. Granted if you want the best NA performance for the car, you just gotta bite the bullet. Myself I am always about quality parts but also whats the best bang for my buck.
Quote:

an example would be P-tuning, if you buy the p-tuning header they will actualy provide you the p-tuning developed cam tables for thier header for brz/86 from their in house tuner. Cam tables are the main thing you need for specific header.

AVO turbo kits you get a base tune thats perfectly usable but not peak power with any of the AVO turbo kits.

that sort of thing would likey help sales but each manufacturer has their own strategy
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:01 PM   #1365
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Any reason for 304 vs 321, for the price I thought it would be 321!

I do like the thought that has gone onto the design though, I wonder which design would best suit a NA for motorkhana?
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:14 PM   #1366
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Did you mention @DeliciousTuning enough?
Yeah, maybe I overdid it, huh? Ha, ha - I copy and pasted their name so I wouldn’t have to rekey it, but it did end up looking a little over the top!
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RJasonKlein For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (08-26-2018)
Old 03-05-2021, 09:08 PM   #1367
LePianoMan

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 base (raven)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramick View Post

JRSC C38
ACE A350, OP, FP, Perrin 2.5" resonated catback.

Video description has more details.
I know it's been four years or so but you ever get any drone on this setup? this is exactly what I'm leaning towards getting right now. If you don't remember I don't blame you...I literally do not remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.
LePianoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 12:01 PM   #1368
Bergycheese348

Drives: TRD Supercharged 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Experience with Ace A350 and fp

Older thread at this point and this may not be super relevant at this point, but i thought I would share my experience.

Performance:
This header had an amazing feel from the start. Even without a tune I would say it felt like it helped the torque dip to a noticeable effect. After the tune, the car was definitely faster throughout the RPM range. I have no dyno figures, so can not give evidence on that. With the FP installed it did not give a noticable difference from what I could tell, but then again it did not have a new tune. I assume gains with the added front pipe would have a max output of 10 whp, with a number probably closer to 6 or 7.

Sound:
TRD 'D' catback, stock headers, stock FP. Car sounded good, but on the quiet side. Had drone at highway speeds.

March '22. A350, TRD catback, stock FP (CSG tune):
Car immediately became louder but sounded like a more 'race car' version of the TRD setup. I say that as it ended up having that similar TRD sound, but also seemed to be just a tad higher pitched yet started to sound like a step under the 'tin' type sound. Also made it sound smoother and took away the drone.

July '22 Ace FP, A350, TRD catback (same tune):
originally had an exhaust leak and sounded like a riced out civic. After fixing that, on a cold start it sounded almost deeper, like how the TRD sounded originally. After being on WOT, though, it is definitely loud but not too loud. Sounds way more mature yet race car at the same time, as you will have some rasp with the deep sound (which exponentially gets higher) but its not like exhaust leak rasp or anything close to it. For highway speeds (65 and less) it is perfectly fine and not anything loud at all. When on CC at 80+ (granted my rear end is stripped) it is pretty loud and can get a bit too loud if you are driving over an hour, and my Apple watch always gives me a warning exceeding 90 db, and sometimes says 95 if im on it just a bit more with music playing. I have gotten a lot of compliments on this setup though, and have gotten one where he said it sounded like a low-revving F1 car.

Overall rankings and reasoning:
1: A350 & TRD - Tame, yet sounded amazing. will not deafen you, but gives you a good sense of the car.
2: A350, Ace FP, TRD - a bit too loud for the average Joe (maybe thats just for the stripped interior), but very much has the race car sound.
3: TRD - always had a good sound, but there was just a tad too much drone for me and was just slightly too quiet.

Overall I love this header and would recomend it to anyone. If you can find one for a good price used, I say go for it (since they do not make them any more and people seemingly upcharge for them now).

Other things that may have affected my experience: TRD intake, TRD LWFW/Race clutch, TRD engine/transmission mounts.
Bergycheese348 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bergycheese348 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-22-2023), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (02-21-2023), weederr33 (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 03:48 PM   #1369
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
I loved my ACE CS400 paired with the TRD muffler. It was an excellent pair and tuning wasn't so bad with CSG. It's a real shame you can't really find them anymore.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Bergycheese348 (02-23-2023), CSG Mike (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 04:52 PM   #1370
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergycheese348 View Post
Older thread at this point and this may not be super relevant at this point, but i thought I would share my experience.

Performance:
This header had an amazing feel from the start. Even without a tune I would say it felt like it helped the torque dip to a noticeable effect. After the tune, the car was definitely faster throughout the RPM range. I have no dyno figures, so can not give evidence on that. With the FP installed it did not give a noticable difference from what I could tell, but then again it did not have a new tune. I assume gains with the added front pipe would have a max output of 10 whp, with a number probably closer to 6 or 7.

Sound:
TRD 'D' catback, stock headers, stock FP. Car sounded good, but on the quiet side. Had drone at highway speeds.

March '22. A350, TRD catback, stock FP (CSG tune):
Car immediately became louder but sounded like a more 'race car' version of the TRD setup. I say that as it ended up having that similar TRD sound, but also seemed to be just a tad higher pitched yet started to sound like a step under the 'tin' type sound. Also made it sound smoother and took away the drone.

July '22 Ace FP, A350, TRD catback (same tune):
originally had an exhaust leak and sounded like a riced out civic. After fixing that, on a cold start it sounded almost deeper, like how the TRD sounded originally. After being on WOT, though, it is definitely loud but not too loud. Sounds way more mature yet race car at the same time, as you will have some rasp with the deep sound (which exponentially gets higher) but its not like exhaust leak rasp or anything close to it. For highway speeds (65 and less) it is perfectly fine and not anything loud at all. When on CC at 80+ (granted my rear end is stripped) it is pretty loud and can get a bit too loud if you are driving over an hour, and my Apple watch always gives me a warning exceeding 90 db, and sometimes says 95 if im on it just a bit more with music playing. I have gotten a lot of compliments on this setup though, and have gotten one where he said it sounded like a low-revving F1 car.

Overall rankings and reasoning:
1: A350 & TRD - Tame, yet sounded amazing. will not deafen you, but gives you a good sense of the car.
2: A350, Ace FP, TRD - a bit too loud for the average Joe (maybe thats just for the stripped interior), but very much has the race car sound.
3: TRD - always had a good sound, but there was just a tad too much drone for me and was just slightly too quiet.

Overall I love this header and would recomend it to anyone. If you can find one for a good price used, I say go for it (since they do not make them any more and people seemingly upcharge for them now).

Other things that may have affected my experience: TRD intake, TRD LWFW/Race clutch, TRD engine/transmission mounts.
yes a350 are great
i m happy to have them for 4 years now
They tend to leak as you've seen, easily, specially at the flange with the overpipe section, i've had to bring to mechanic to fix the leak every year basically, but no big deal
The tune and the relative cam timings play also a big role in the car final sound, just for saying
tomm.brz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Bergycheese348 (02-23-2023), Teseo (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 08:40 AM   #1371
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
yes a350 are great
i m happy to have them for 4 years now
They tend to leak as you've seen, easily, specially at the flange with the overpipe section, i've had to bring to mechanic to fix the leak every year basically, but no big deal
The tune and the relative cam timings play also a big role in the car final sound, just for saying
I should have mentioned what the leak was from...

I essentially forgot that the donut gasket was on the stock FP because it looked like it was all one, so the leak was due to the fact that i had no donut gasket lol.

Also should have mentioned I had no fitment issues at all, but that was with TRD engine/tranny mounts.

T RD, Verus, Ace

Last edited by Bergycheese348; 02-23-2023 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bergycheese348 For This Useful Post:
tomm.brz (02-23-2023), x808drifter (02-24-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 08:43 AM   #1372
Bergycheese348

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I loved my ACE CS400 paired with the TRD muffler. It was an excellent pair and tuning wasn't so bad with CSG. It's a real shame you can't really find them anymore.
Im super glad that the TRD came with the car, because it was just such a good sound for a beginner (was 16 when I got the car). But yeah, these headers really sound good with them.

The one thing I wish is if Ace would have made a set in titanium or something similar. Yes, i know they would be expensive, but you would seemingly save a little weight and I bet they would sound amazing.

T RD, Verus, Ace
The Following User Says Thank You to Bergycheese348 For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (02-23-2023)