follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2018, 05:16 AM   #1
DesertLava
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Drives: '17 Hot Lava
Location: California
Posts: 55
Thanks: 22
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Prepping an Automatic 86 for 86Cup

Looking to get involved in the SoCal 86 Cup Stock Class, but I'm worried about doing some mods in preparation for hot track days with an automatic transmission. The main tracks in the series are: Buttonwillow, Streets of Willow, and Chuckwalla (all hot desert tracks).

I only want to do whats necessary to get started and make more decisions as I get more experience driving the car.

I think this is my shortlist of things I need:
- GT Radial SX2 tires (on stock rims)
- Brake pads (open to suggestions)
- Stark Automatic Trans cooler + thermostat (worried about overcooling during daily driving)
- Oil Cooler (Greddy vs. Jackson racing radiator/oil cooler two-in-one, or open to suggestions)

I'm open to suggestions regarding all the above options. I just want to maintain proper cooling, get decent beginner tires, and brake pads that can hold up to track days.

I do not plan to autocross. Thanks!
DesertLava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DesertLava For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-16-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
strat61caster
Thread Killer
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,493
Thanks: 11,565
Thanked 7,652 Times in 3,985 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
How much prior track experience do you have?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
Lonewolf
Senior Member
 
Lonewolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: Moped
Location: CA
Posts: 4,133
Thanks: 4,245
Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,116 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
While you're doing the brake pads some better brake fluid wouldn't hurt either.

The cooling mods seem like a no-brainer unless you're going to be taking a ton of breaks and closely monitoring oil/coolant temps.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #4
mixxxx
Senior Member
 
mixxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: BRZ
Location: California
Posts: 103
Thanks: 134
Thanked 127 Times in 54 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brake pads: Winmax W5
Brake fluid: Pmu GFour-355 or Endless RF-650
Camber bolts: Whiteline or SPC
Oil Cooler: Majority run the Jackson Racing Oil Cooler. The Greddy will work well too. No need for the dual oil/radiator cooler.

I have seen boosted AT's without ATF cooler run 86cup with no issues.

Contact Counterspace Garage. They are a series sponsor and will be able to guide you and give you a great deal on what you need for your first 86Cup. Message CSG_Mike or CSG_David
mixxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mixxxx For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 09:04 PM   #5
FirstWinter
Whatever happens, happens
 
FirstWinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2015 Steel FRS 6MT
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 599
Thanks: 333
Thanked 377 Times in 227 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pretty much everything mixxxx said. See you out there
__________________
You're in NorCal? Come hang out with us at the track!

86 Drive Challenge Facebook Group
FirstWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FirstWinter For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 10:12 PM   #6
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,115
Thanks: 7,472
Thanked 11,533 Times in 5,544 Posts
Mentioned: 842 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLava View Post
Looking to get involved in the SoCal 86 Cup Stock Class, but I'm worried about doing some mods in preparation for hot track days with an automatic transmission. The main tracks in the series are: Buttonwillow, Streets of Willow, and Chuckwalla (all hot desert tracks).

I only want to do whats necessary to get started and make more decisions as I get more experience driving the car.

I think this is my shortlist of things I need:
- GT Radial SX2 tires (on stock rims)
- Brake pads (open to suggestions)
- Stark Automatic Trans cooler + thermostat (worried about overcooling during daily driving)
- Oil Cooler (Greddy vs. Jackson racing radiator/oil cooler two-in-one, or open to suggestions)

I'm open to suggestions regarding all the above options. I just want to maintain proper cooling, get decent beginner tires, and brake pads that can hold up to track days.

I do not plan to autocross. Thanks!
What year is your car?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
DesertLava
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Drives: '17 Hot Lava
Location: California
Posts: 55
Thanks: 22
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
What year is your car?
Its a 2017.

I also had some other questions regarding the Socal 86 Cup Stock series. Am I allowed to run an aftermarket seat? Or does that count against me as weight reduction?

Can I run a coolshirt system? I believe that would be classed under driver safety and cost me 0 pts. It would add to my overall car weight.

What does a typical race day itinerary look like? For example, when there is a race at Buttonwillow, what should I expect, from beginning to end? Driver safety course... how much track time, how much time between, etc.
DesertLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #8
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,115
Thanks: 7,472
Thanked 11,533 Times in 5,544 Posts
Mentioned: 842 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLava View Post
Its a 2017.

I also had some other questions regarding the Socal 86 Cup Stock series. Am I allowed to run an aftermarket seat? Or does that count against me as weight reduction?

Can I run a coolshirt system? I believe that would be classed under driver safety and cost me 0 pts. It would add to my overall car weight.

What does a typical race day itinerary look like? For example, when there is a race at Buttonwillow, what should I expect, from beginning to end? Driver safety course... how much track time, how much time between, etc.
You should be okay without a trans cooler in stock class

- Aftermarket seat is not allowed unless you also have a proper harness and roll bar.

- Cool suit is 100% permissible!

- "typical" schedule

-- Track gates open at 6AM
-- Registration open by 7AM
-- Driver's meeting advanced at 7:30AM
-- Driver's meeting everyone else at 8AM
-- Track hot for Advanced groups at 8AM
-- Typically 4-6 different groups (by skill), varies by organizer and venue
-- 4-6 sessions on track, 20-30 minutes each varies by organizer and venue) 60-100 minutes between sessions
-- Typically, sessions 2-3-4 (sometimes 5 on a 6 session day) count toward results.
-- Results are fastest time of the day in qualifying sessions
-- 86CUP awards between 4:30 and 5:30PM (exact time varies with venue)
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
mixxxx (07-17-2018), strat61caster (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #9
DesertLava
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Drives: '17 Hot Lava
Location: California
Posts: 55
Thanks: 22
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You should be okay without a trans cooler in stock class

- Aftermarket seat is not allowed unless you also have a proper harness and roll bar.

- Cool suit is 100% permissible!

- "typical" schedule

-- Track gates open at 6AM
-- Registration open by 7AM
-- Driver's meeting advanced at 7:30AM
-- Driver's meeting everyone else at 8AM
-- Track hot for Advanced groups at 8AM
-- Typically 4-6 different groups (by skill), varies by organizer and venue
-- 4-6 sessions on track, 20-30 minutes each varies by organizer and venue) 60-100 minutes between sessions
-- Typically, sessions 2-3-4 (sometimes 5 on a 6 session day) count toward results.
-- Results are fastest time of the day in qualifying sessions
-- 86CUP awards between 4:30 and 5:30PM (exact time varies with venue)
How hot should I expect to get in the cabin during a session? Trying to piece together whether or not I need a coolsuit. I know there are a lot of factors in play, but I run mostly desert tracks as stated in my OP. Would hate myself sitting in 120 degrees for 20-30 minutes at a time.

I've heard that 86Cup Socal Stock is a very competitive segment. Is it the right segment for a beginner to start in? 0 track experience, unless you count Mario Kart.
DesertLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #10
DesertLava
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Drives: '17 Hot Lava
Location: California
Posts: 55
Thanks: 22
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
How much prior track experience do you have?
None, this would be my introduction to track events. I don't want to unnecessarily mod my car in excess of my skill level, just want to cover the basics in order to keep my components safe (oil cooler, brakes, tires, etc.).
DesertLava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DesertLava For This Useful Post:
mixxxx (07-17-2018), strat61caster (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 04:36 PM   #11
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,115
Thanks: 7,472
Thanked 11,533 Times in 5,544 Posts
Mentioned: 842 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLava View Post
How hot should I expect to get in the cabin during a session? Trying to piece together whether or not I need a coolsuit. I know there are a lot of factors in play, but I run mostly desert tracks as stated in my OP. Would hate myself sitting in 120 degrees for 20-30 minutes at a time.

I've heard that 86Cup Socal Stock is a very competitive segment. Is it the right segment for a beginner to start in? 0 track experience, unless you count Mario Kart.
In-cabin temps will vary depending on where you measure, particularly at speed. The trans tunnel will get pretty warm in the summer months.

Depending on the time of the year, as you know, 115F+ ambient isn't unheard of, but even then, the stock cooling system is more than sufficient (with an oil cooler of course).

It's competitive, because the cars are virtually identical! It is, IMO, the optimal place for a beginner to start, because you 100% know that your car can do what the front runner's cars can do!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
mixxxx (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #12
DesertLava
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Drives: '17 Hot Lava
Location: California
Posts: 55
Thanks: 22
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
In-cabin temps will vary depending on where you measure, particularly at speed. The trans tunnel will get pretty warm in the summer months.

Depending on the time of the year, as you know, 115F+ ambient isn't unheard of, but even then, the stock cooling system is more than sufficient (with an oil cooler of course).

It's competitive, because the cars are virtually identical! It is, IMO, the optimal place for a beginner to start, because you 100% know that your car can do what the front runner's cars can do!
This thread is why I'm worried about the ATF temps. I don't want to damage my auto transmission as this is my daily driver. I'm hoping to get 100-200k miles out of this car as a daily and 1x/month track car.

Is there any data for ATF temps running stock coolers under load (track days). @Sithspawn posted his temps from some of his runs, and pre-cooler he was getting quite hot. Your take on this?
DesertLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:06 PM   #13
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 12,115
Thanks: 7,472
Thanked 11,533 Times in 5,544 Posts
Mentioned: 842 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
The only data I can give you is that the few AT cars we've seen have mostly been double dutied, and have not had issue.

Getting an external cooler with a thermostatic provision isn't a bad idea, but it just may be cheaper to replace transmissions if you have a failure; used transmissions are very cheap.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DesertLava (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 09:41 PM   #14
mixxxx
Senior Member
 
mixxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: BRZ
Location: California
Posts: 103
Thanks: 134
Thanked 127 Times in 54 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
-you are on the right track (pun intended) in running stock class and improve driver mod. there is no better way to learn than to run with people who have been tracking the platform for years

-with regards to transmission, we have seen MT failures. we have NOT seen AT fail (we have members running Stock and Modified AT cars and daily the car as well no issues).
mixxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mixxxx For This Useful Post:
DesertLava (07-17-2018)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 2017 auto 86... Prepping for high mileage 86MT Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 17 12-24-2017 01:07 PM
Need help prepping for fi Carnewbee Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 7 02-29-2016 07:47 PM
Prepping for Install Day ecko04 Forced Induction 49 08-28-2013 09:26 AM
prepping for winter Celica00 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 24 09-27-2012 08:17 AM
Prepping for rear spoiler install? zooki Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 2 09-02-2012 03:56 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.