follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Drives: 92TalonAWD, 93RX7, 11F150EcoBoost
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to 82mm 4g63
Battlefield 3

This is the first Battlefield game I've tried. I've always been more of a COD fan, MW to be precise, but I wanted to give BF a try. So far... I am not impressed. I feel more like an observer watching the battles than I do a soldier participating in them. I know they're both first person, but so far it just doesn't have the same feel to it that MW does. I don't know if it's something as simple as the camera angles, or scale of weapons to environment or what, but I'm starting to lose my interest already. Another thing that has been bugging me to death is the stubbornness of the controls. For example, there might be a cinder block in my path and it wont let me go over or around it without having to back up and take a different angle around it. The basic physics are not very intuitive at all, early release bugs that will be fixed?

Any one else feel the same way? Or do I just have to give it more time to grow on me?
82mm 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've always liked Battlefield more than the CoD games, just my opinion. I think Battlefield 3 does well as a Battlefield 2 successor.

As far as feeling like an observer, what mode are you playing? Rush, conquest, DM? I think coming from CoD, a lot of people feel overwhelmed with the size of the Battlefield maps and with all of this stuff going on, especially in Large Conqeust. That's what I've been told by a couple at least. So it may seem like you get in, die a bunch, maybe get a couple of kills and then it's game over. I think the key to really playing Battlefield is stick with your squad and put in as much teamwork as you can. Or if you're not in a squad, communicate with those around you or those in similar roles. Your wingman when you're in flight, for example.

I can't say I've run into the weird physics. Generally the only things I can't vault are things that are taller than I am.

Between the two games, I think Battlefield is slower paced with more tactical gameplay and requires more teamwork to succeed, especially when you get into 64 player maps. CoD works well as the lone wolf run 'n' gun shooter with a faster pace in smaller settings, where one person can carry the whole team. So yeah, similar games, both military FPS, but still a lot different between the two. To each their own. I'd say if you want more CoD style gameplay, play rush on a smaller map. Operation Metro from the beta was a pretty good example and gives plenty of chances for faster close quarters combat.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Drives: 92TalonAWD, 93RX7, 11F150EcoBoost
Send a message via AIM to 82mm 4g63
Well I've only actually done one multiplayer map, I was just referring to the campaign mode that I'm still doing. I wanted to use it to get a feel for the game before going into multiplayer. The map I was in was pretty damn big, but I don't see that as a positive or a negative for BF over CoD. I guess I'll keep on chugging along, maybe I'll get more into it. Worst case scenario, it'll hold me over till MW3.
82mm 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:46 AM   #4
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
^^ no 82mm_4g63 your absolutely right. Actually there have been reviews popping up left and right regarding your views. Gametrailers.com is actually having mixed feelings.

Battlefield 3 although a brilliantly coded game running on a hardcore engine, has actually shitty writing. Actually the campaign, its the best of the series, but thats not saying much because the previous BF campaigns have also been shit. BTW controlling the heli is garbage this time around.

The game's primary focus is multiplayer, much like BF2. The biggest drawback to BF new formula of 64player maps and a 24 player cap on vehicle maps. Is that rooms and servers are never running on a full house. And playing RUSH almost seems boring because it will take several min before you run into enemies. The maps are VAST.

To me more content is always a plus, but how that content is controlled and becomes available to you streamlining is whats more important. I believe that BF3 has actually too much content. At least custom classes are still not allowed. Then it would get really confusing.

Bottom line, if your looking to get a feel for the game (non-multiplayer) and emerse yourself in it. Campaign will fall short of any and all expectations. Multiplayer however is very fun if you can get out of the archetype of the typical FPS game. Playing the lone wolf is very difficult to do in this game..its very team oriented. VS games like DOOM/HALO/Call of Duty/Counter Strike/ ect..where Lone Wolf players are very godly. And (teaches you/ forces you) to be the hero via all decimator.

Not to try to sound like a CoD fan...but CoD had very good basic mechanics and a solid formula. Which is probably the reason why they didn't deviate from the previous engine in this next installment MW3. But many do not need to be a CoD fan to remember characters like Ghost and Rameriz. They had a very good storyline setup with memorable characters.

I am a BF multiplayer fan...but i have very strong feelings towards CoDMW, Because it gives me just a basic very raw sense of enjoyment.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:18 AM   #5
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
If you're coming from CoD yea I think Battlefield is a bit hard to get used to. I played a bit of BF2, quite a bit of 2142, way too much BC2 (got it for 5 bucks on Origin sale), and I think the most important part is familiarizing yourself with the maps (which are freaking huge). Once you know the maps, then the large scale team strategy really comes into play, and it is a pretty awesome experience.

One cool thing about Battlefield is the huge variety of things you can do, even without vehicles. People get creative and try throwing C4 around (in BF2142 they called it "RDX hopping"), or running around with a shotgun where there's a lot of cover available, or using smoke, etc. Recently I've been using shotty+rocket launcher combo in BC2, and it is pretty imba as I typically have >2 kdr, and I get disappointed when I don't get first place lol. The rocket launcher serves as a sniper rifle of some sort, easier to use against people in buildings, but very difficult to land when they're out in the open. All the scopes in BC2 are a bit annoying as you have people using smgs as sniper rifles, and the recoil is basically nonexistent in that case.

I don't know how BF3 is though, I played the Beta and it was honestly pretty dreadful with its glitches and bugs. It was WAY too hard to see what was going on, some guy just sat next to a rock and picked off everyone as they spawned and it wasn't possible to see where he was. Since the real thing was released so soon afterwards, I doubt they fixed much.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
As mentioned before, BF3 is a tactical team based FPS. And it requires a completely different skillset. There are times, in another game I play similar to BF3, where instead of killing enemies I grab a chopper and taxi allies to a certain objective on the map. It is a different sense of accomplishment, for sure.

I haven't played BF3 online yet, but the single player took my breath away during the jet mission. It's mindblowingly immersive and beautiful.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Ah, I can see how someone would be disappointed with the campaign. I've heard a lot of complaints about it, but I haven't even touched it myself. I bought the game for the outstanding multiplayer.

The one complaint I do have, if anything, is that there is nowhere to practice in the aircraft. I've taken a few people down in a SU-35, but I'm like a hundred points away from unlocking missiles, and with aggressive AA and other aircraft having heat seekers, I'm just fucked for the most part. I can't fly a chopper worth a damn either lol. Wish I could, but every time I get in one and try to figure out what's going on it's BOOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I don't know how BF3 is though, I played the Beta and it was honestly pretty dreadful with its glitches and bugs. It was WAY too hard to see what was going on, some guy just sat next to a rock and picked off everyone as they spawned and it wasn't possible to see where he was. Since the real thing was released so soon afterwards, I doubt they fixed much.
There are still spawn campers and they're still annoying as shit, but there will be for a while when it's easy for a sniper to pick headshots off on people waiting for the plane or a vehicle to respawn. Good time to rank up Recon really. I'm not such a fan of the killcam. Why give away your position just because you killed someone? Seems kind of senseless. There are a lot of things I ran into in the Alpha and the Beta that I don't see in the final version. Buggy vehicles flying up into the air are one I distinctly remember that I haven't seen again. It also seems like damage may have been adjusted too. Maybe just a bit lower than it used to. Seems like the 870MCS with flechette rounds does a bit less damage than it did a month ago.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
ForReal-Someday

Drives: Company Vehicle
BF3 is, for me, the perfect game. It combines the teamwork aspects of an MMORPG, with the easy access to equipment of a FPS. When you work together as a team You can really affect the battlefield. One of my favorite things is blowing up the environment to create a kill zone that the opposing team has to run through to get to the objective. That being said... Tactical Lights are Bull Shit!
ForReal-Someday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForReal-Someday View Post
Tactical Lights are Bull Shit!
ahahaha... what, you don't get blinded by flashlights in broad daylight all the time?
Old 10-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
ForReal-Someday

Drives: Company Vehicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
ahahaha... what, you don't get blinded by flashlights in broad daylight all the time?
HAHA! not only that, but if you're running around in the dark with a flashlight, you can really only see what the flashlight is pointing at. Not the entire freaking map, while blinding everything thing in a 270 degree arc.
ForReal-Someday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Well, I unlocked heat seekers, so aircraft stand little chance against me unless they're great pilots. AA is way too freaking strong though, and with infantry spawning with Stingers... fml.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

Drives: 2002 Mazda Miata
I played a lot of Desert Conflict, and this (3) was the first Battlefield game I tried out since. I didn't dig it, but that might be due to the beta troubles or the lack of gameplay options available. Even if all of the gameplay issues were ironed out for me, I still don't think I'd be able to stomach Origin and the Battlelog? website based organization they've got going on.

I never really got into CoD either, first of that series I played was CoD4:MW and I got bored with it pretty quick. For shooters, I've always been more of a Counter-Strike guy. It won't look nearly as good as the big names, but I think I'll enjoy CS:GO a bit more than either BF3 or MW3. Most of the guys I know are skipping BF3 and getting MW3 anyway, so if I were going to jump into "social gaming" I'd do so with MW3.
Neutral_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #13
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
^ yeah..i gave it as much as i could.. I traded in my copy of Battlefield 3 and Forza 4 today. I honestly thought both games were going to be solid games. I have a feeling MW3 might let me down too. COD black Ops let me down hard. Oh well...

Games im excited for are;
Zelda Skyward Sword
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Mass Effect 3
Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi
MGS HD Collection
Counterstrike: GO
Halo 10th anni
Old 10-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #14
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral_Eyes View Post
I played a lot of Desert Conflict, and this (3) was the first Battlefield game I tried out since. I didn't dig it, but that might be due to the beta troubles or the lack of gameplay options available. Even if all of the gameplay issues were ironed out for me, I still don't think I'd be able to stomach Origin and the Battlelog? website based organization they've got going on.
I can totally understand being frustrated with Battlelog. It's a real pain in the ass sometimes, and I do think it would've been better to just have an in-game browser with all of the same stuff. But I think a lot of people are put off by the Battlefield 3 beta, because so many people are used to a "beta" now that's basically a demo of the full game, when that's really not what a beta should be. This was a real beta to iron out bugs and get community feedback on in-game adjustments. Other than lag and maybe the occasional cheater and wishing there were squad VOIP channels I can't really say I have any other major complaints or have seen bugs.