follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 05-13-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
Greenjustin

Drives: Golf TSI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looking to get an 86

Hi Guys

Always been a fan of the 86 when it was launched and when I took for a test drive. Put a smile on face back then.

I wanted to know if there are any issues or services to lookout for in the 2012/2013 models below 80 000km?

Currently drive a vw golf 6 tsi with a baby seat and wife has an suv for space.
It almost doesn’t make sense to trade a golf 6 tsi for 86. But the passion for having a fun tends to outway it. My concern is will I get bored with the 86?

I really don’t care about going the fastest, because every GTI will be faster but I do enjoy a good handling car and looking at the shape of the 86 and tech stuff behind the 86 is fascinating against the boring golf. The golf 6 i made it less boring with h&r springs, koni shocks and rims but I always see an 86 and think of driving nirvana.
Greenjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Had mine for 5years, and I’m not bored yet.

I have done a few mods (slowly over time) just because it’s fun and I can.
But honestly an 86 with a good tune and some headers = perfect for street and daily driving etc. Add ethanol/flexfuel if you want to play a little more, just not as easy to get in SA compared to the US of A.

I think this car is still hugely underrated by the mass market. But I might be bias
Old 05-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #3
Greenjustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 South Africa View Post
Had mine for 5years, and I’m not bored yet.

I have done a few mods (slowly over time) just because it’s fun and I can.
But honestly an 86 with a good tune and some headers = perfect for street and daily driving etc. Add ethanol/flexfuel if you want to play a little more, just not as easy to get in SA compared to the US of A.

I think this car is still hugely underrated by the mass market. But I might be bias
Hugely underrated low cost sports car!

8 to 9 litre per km fuel consumption when driving spiritually.
16 or 17 tyres are fairly cheap to replace.
Not fast enough to get into dangerous high speeds.but fast enough for fun.
I can fit a baby seat behind.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:56 AM   #4
Laser69

Drives: White Ltd Edition
I have had an 86 for 5 years and it is still close to stock(DIF & Exhaust), I love getting into my car every day.

The 2012/2013 had an issue with engine bearing's going at about 45k km, Toyota will never admit to a factory fault, so if it goes its going to cost your R50k+. If you find a car you like look to see it has factory extended warranty or look @ service history to see if its already been repaired.

The other issues with 2012's was the coil pack would die, but have not heard of any failures of late in cape town, so most likely all the cars with faulty coil packs have had them replaced already.
Laser69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:37 AM   #5
Gregore

Drives: Silver Toyota 86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Bought mine just over a year ago. I love it more and more everyday. Modded brakes for track use (Powerbrake rotors with Endless pads) and put semi-slicks on my track tyres and RE003 on my road tyres.

If you like the idea of a car that's fast because of handling and brakes rather than power you will love the 86.

Just buy one and go to a skidpan and have the best day ever
Gregore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:33 AM   #6
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
In what demographic do you spend a lot of time driving? If you're not in a twisty landscape and drive long interstate drives, that's what kills new owners. If you don't have the inherent desire to love this car, interstate (unless it's high speed fast lane changing you frequent) will make the chassis feel uninspiring.

I love my car to death, please don't get me wrong! But it does have a time and place. Forced induction is also an option for it. With FI, in my opinion, it is the best car on the road. Period.

To answer the mileage issue: my car was a totalled flood car. I bought the car at about 36,000km and it now sits at 72,000km without a hiccup. Don't be afraid of mileage unless it's modified or the owner is wearing a flat brim hat.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:02 AM   #7
Greenjustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
In what demographic do you spend a lot of time driving? If you're not in a twisty landscape and drive long interstate drives, that's what kills new owners. If you don't have the inherent desire to love this car, interstate (unless it's high speed fast lane changing you frequent) will make the chassis feel uninspiring.

I love my car to death, please don't get me wrong! But it does have a time and place. Forced induction is also an option for it. With FI, in my opinion, it is the best car on the road. Period.

To answer the mileage issue: my car was a totalled flood car. I bought the car at about 36,000km and it now sits at 72,000km without a hiccup. Don't be afraid of mileage unless it's modified or the owner is wearing a flat brim hat.
I will be taking one for a test drive soon, it has about 68 000km 2014. Hopefully i can extend the warranty. Toyota South Africa offer good extended warranty. Hopefully i can extend upto 8 years unlimited or 250 000km. or get 2years warranty. Sales Guy will confirm this.

I drive alot of suburban roads, very flat landscapes, rivers etc with some roads which offer fun, drop off kid at daycare and work, gym. 20km Max in total,
barely Highway driving.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:41 AM   #8
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenjustin View Post

I drive alot of suburban roads, very flat landscapes, rivers etc with some roads which offer fun, drop off kid at daycare and work, gym. 20km Max in total,
barely Highway driving.
Sounds like it should be good . I wouldn't be too preoccupied with the warranty unless their asking price is much higher than normal. The cars are solid, I'm willing to bet anything that happens will either be after the warranty period, or self inflicted that wouldn't be covered under warranty (which means you're having fun!)

Don't forget, cars are transient; here one moment and gone the next. Don't get so caught up fear that you forget the time in between! Maybe I'm jaded because I still buy early 90s cars that I put no maintenance into and have no issues with them aside aesthetic problems
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
Greenjustin

Showed up at the dealer for test drive, sales man did not know the car was in the workshop waiting for parts like brake discs and pads. New Pirelli p7 Tyres on. i could start the car but not test drive. Monument Toyota...

The gear shift felt nice and short!

The car was not clean enough to my standard, the cloth/suede insert on the door looked dirty and the seats need some cleaning. Centre Console black trim piece before the VSC buttons seems to have worn abit, not sure why.

2 year optional warranty cost R4800 ZAR estimate 380 US dollars
Old 05-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #10
noodlefish

Drives: Toyotas 86 (2013) & RunX RSi (2003)
No need to rush it. The right one will come along.

For me, just had my first track day. Absolute blast, and definitely reminded me why I wanted this car in the first place.

As others have said, you can fit a baby seat, the mileage is actually great and you can have fun just going to work, especially if you have windy roads (alternatively just do Nelspruit runs)

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
noodlefish is offline   Reply With Quote