follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2018, 02:49 AM   #15
Borchert97

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It happens to the best of us man. I myself crashed my first car, my 2017 86, just a week after my 20th birthday, I went out and got another one that was identical but didn't have the front plate drilled through the bumper, also my second one's exhaust sounds nicer for some reason (both had the exact same TRD exhaust, and I mean the EXACT same one, as in, I took it off the first car and put it on the second one), you'll miss little bits and things about your first one, but then love things about your second one as well, it'll give you mixed feelings but at the end of the day when you're behind the wheel of a twin again, you'll be just as happy as you were with the first one.
Borchert97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Borchert97 For This Useful Post:
buhryeuhn (12-03-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 03:21 AM   #16
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borchert97 View Post
It happens to the best of us man. I myself crashed my first car, my 2017 86, just a week after my 20th birthday, I went out and got another one that was identical but didn't have the front plate drilled through the bumper, also my second one's exhaust sounds nicer for some reason (both had the exact same TRD exhaust, and I mean the EXACT same one, as in, I took it off the first car and put it on the second one), you'll miss little bits and things about your first one, but then love things about your second one as well, it'll give you mixed feelings but at the end of the day when you're behind the wheel of a twin again, you'll be just as happy as you were with the first one.
It could have been broken in finally? I think its fairly common for them to sound different with a few miles?
I don't know for sure as I haven't replaced my exhaust, but I recall seeing a few posts about that happening to some people.
Also, did you switch from AT ↔ MT?
Old 12-02-2018, 05:46 AM   #17
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhryeuhn View Post
This might come off as me just complaining and feeling sorry for myself, but I just need a place to vent.

So I unfortunately wrecked my FR-S on the freeway while on my way to work yesterday. I, also unfortunately, was the one that ended up rear ending another vehicle. But when it's raining out, and you're doing about 65-70mph in your lane (keep in mind, my lane is free flowing and I'm keeping up with traffic), and a box truck from backed up and almost completely stopped lane decides they have room and quickly bolts into your lane...I think it's suffice to say that my brakes didn't have enough time to slow me down fast enough to avoid hitting anything. I ended up swerving to the left to try avoid some of the impact, and hitting the rear driver-side bumper of the truck with my front passenger-side of the bumper.

The car is currently at a collision center to be inspected. But both the tow truck driver and my insurance agent unofficially mentioned to me that the car will most likely be deemed a total loss. So yeah...I am really really really bummed out about the loss of my car...probably more bummed out than I should be, but I really loved that car! It was the first car I bought myself, and I definitely put in the extra time, money, and care to really make it my own (I know it looks generic, but it's distinguishable to me). It may sound super dramatic, but I really do feel like I've lost a small part of me. Another 86 might be in the plans down the line, but that won't be for a while. I told myself that my next car would be a more comfortable and practical ride...but damn, I'm really going to miss my FR-S.

Anyways, thanks for listening!

Cheers!
Brian
Dam sorry to hear about the loss. Someone just wrecked my BRZ a few weeks ago too. I totally feel you about losing a part of yourself.. it's a depressing, bummed-out feeling mixed with some frustration. All the time & effort you put into your car feels like it's gone in an instant. I hope you find your next car soon.. I get more gloomy the longer go without my BRZ.

I used to look forward to driving my car every single day, traffic or no traffic. Now I just hate driving. And I know I need a more practical car but I'm seriously considering just buying the cheapeast 86 out there for the short term and deal with the practicality later.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reeves For This Useful Post:
buhryeuhn (12-03-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #18
Borchert97

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post
It could have been broken in finally? I think its fairly common for them to sound different with a few miles?
I don't know for sure as I haven't replaced my exhaust, but I recall seeing a few posts about that happening to some people.
Also, did you switch from AT ↔ MT?
Nope, both manuals, I did make it a point to do a bit harder of a break-in on the second one than I did on the first one, I think that may have been the difference.

The first car I crashed at around 11k miles, and the exhaust NEVER popped and crackled in such a satisfying way like the second car has been doing since about 9-10k miles (it's at 16k now), but I'm glad it does that, I guess I'd credit the harder break-in.
Borchert97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Borchert97 For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (12-02-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #19
Smitty

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
more comfortable and practical ride...
Really?
Someone please, please explain to my why this car is uncomfortable OR impractical.
I keep hearing this sort of drivel and am starting to get convinced that many people are believing the lie that they “need” an suv.

Listen to your heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smitty For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #20
buhryeuhn

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Did airbags deploy?
Yeah, my steering wheel and driver side air bag did deploy.
buhryeuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:10 PM   #21
buhryeuhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Dam sorry to hear about the loss. Someone just wrecked my BRZ a few weeks ago too. I totally feel you about losing a part of yourself.. it's a depressing, bummed-out feeling mixed with some frustration. All the time & effort you put into your car feels like it's gone in an instant. I hope you find your next car soon.. I get more gloomy the longer go without my BRZ.

I used to look forward to driving my car every single day, traffic or no traffic. Now I just hate driving. And I know I need a more practical car but I'm seriously considering just buying the cheapeast 86 out there for the short term and deal with the practicality later.
Damn, sorry to hear about your accident as well. But yeah, I feel you. I used also look forward to any situation to get behind the wheel...but now, it's just not the same.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #22
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
That changes everything then!
Old 12-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #23
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh, well, that just might push it over the threshold. You get anything official from the insurance company yet?
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #24
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Glad you're ok, time for another.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8RZ For This Useful Post:
buhryeuhn (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 04:31 PM   #25
buhryeuhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Really?
Someone please, please explain to my why this car is uncomfortable OR impractical.
I keep hearing this sort of drivel and am starting to get convinced that many people are believing the lie that they “need” an suv.

Listen to your heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well here's my take on the comfort and practicality of the car.

Comfort wise...this is more of me being more mindful for my s.o. I don't particularly mind the ride, but sometimes when I can't avoid a particularly bumpy road, I feel bad for her when she's in my car. You definitely feel more of the road in this car than say like a Camry or Accord. And given LA's mostly crappy roads, you feel just about every crack, groove, and bump in the road, while a Camry or Accord would absorb most of it.

Practicality wise...I can really only fit either 1 other average sized person, or 2 small people in my car when driving others. There are definitely pros and cons to this. A "pro" would be whenever I just wanna drive myself or my s.o. people know my car is too small for others. But when I am feeling particularly charitable, I can't really fit more than 2 other people. Other practicality issues are not being able to fit an acoustic guitar in a hard case, or my golf clubs in my trunk without having to fold down my back seats and such.

But anyways, that's just my take on it if you really wanted some reasons/explanations. I know everyone has their own preferences and thresholds. These are just my own. But to each their own!
Old 12-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #26
buhryeuhn

Quote:
Oh, well, that just might push it over the threshold.
Yeah, I think that might.

Quote:
You get anything official from the insurance company yet?
I haven't heard anything back yet. I'm actually still dealing with an issue with the towing company my insurance sent me. My car isn't where they said it should be by now, and I'm pretty pissed about it. But I'll try to keep this thread updated with any new info I get.
The Following User Says Thank You to buhryeuhn For This Useful Post:
Spuds (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #27
eastendraceshop

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '17 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Glad that you made it out of this! Sorry to hear about your loss!
eastendraceshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:24 PM   #28
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Well here's my take on the comfort and practicality of the car.

Comfort wise...this is more of me being more mindful for my s.o. I don't particularly mind the ride, but sometimes when I can't avoid a particularly bumpy road, I feel bad for her when she's in my car. You definitely feel more of the road in this car than say like a Camry or Accord. And given LA's mostly crappy roads, you feel just about every crack, groove, and bump in the road, while a Camry or Accord would absorb most of it.

Practicality wise...I can really only fit either 1 other average sized person, or 2 small people in my car when driving others. There are definitely pros and cons to this. A "pro" would be whenever I just wanna drive myself or my s.o. people know my car is too small for others. But when I am feeling particularly charitable, I can't really fit more than 2 other people. Other practicality issues are not being able to fit an acoustic guitar in a hard case, or my golf clubs in my trunk without having to fold down my back seats and such.

But anyways, that's just my take on it if you really wanted some reasons/explanations. I know everyone has their own preferences and thresholds. These are just my own. But to each their own!
considering you had a 2013, it was the least compliant suspension setup out of all the years of the twins...my dad used to complain about my '13 when he would drive it around cali while he thinks my '16 is a lot softer...so if ya get a refreshed twin (17+) it will feel noticeably better over bad pavement. And trying to please your S/O over something like that isn't a good reason to limit your life...relationships are best when both can live out their lives to the fullest, my 2 cents

as far as needing more room, too many drivers especially in the US choose their vehicle based on what they think will need maybe 2% of time when they need to haul people or cargo instead of focusing on maximizing their experience for the majority of their time on the road...the largest thing I carry around is my guitar as well and my 12 string acoustic guitar (w/case) fits in my 86 without having to fold the seats but admittedly it does take a little bit of tetris skills to get it in. If I really need the space, I just borrow a friend's truck because even if I had gotten a more practical vehicle like a hatchback, it still wouldn't be able to truly haul anything worthwhile, it would have just been easier to toss small stuff in..

of course, these reasons as you say are all relative and personal but I get very passionate about these choosing a fun vs practical vehicle debates because I feel like consumers as a whole are become more and more conservative, less adventurous and expect everything to get dumbed down....these trends have caused the downfall of manuals & sports cars and I can't stand behind that so please take my 2 cents and get another twin to convince Toyota to make a 2nd gen twin
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote