follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #29
DimSumHero

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Halo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bought one will update with pics and dear god I can't wait for the sound
DimSumHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #30
1ofaKind
bRz

Drives: Subaru Brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I have one as well, im pretty sure youll like it.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #31
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
My issue is.. you went from a factory airbox which take in clean air from in front of the radiator to a gigantic box which appears to take air right from the hot engine bay...

Makes sense

If ARC is your brand then thats awesome not going to hate on that, but I don't believe for a second that just putting this on my car is going to net me ~5-10WHP without a tune, which is irrelevant because the gains could be had on a stock car. There seems to be much better designed intakes for less money.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:27 AM   #32
DimSumHero

I got a pretty sick deal on it with a small groupbuy so I'm not too worried about the price
Old 09-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #33
EpicNameBro

Drives: Slow...
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumHero View Post
I got a pretty sick deal on it with a small groupbuy so I'm not too worried about the price
Info on groupbuy please...
EpicNameBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #34
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
i could make that out of HVAC ducting at LOWES
Old 09-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #35
DimSumHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicNameBro View Post
Info on groupbuy please...
It was a local one here in Alberta, Canada
Old 09-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #36
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
What a waste. I agree with what shady said above but don't want to reiterate it.

Get a OFT and k&n filter, it'll cost less.

Last edited by B-R-Z; 09-17-2014 at 04:59 PM.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:13 AM   #37
FR-Sizzle

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lol that kid who is responding to almost every thread is such a fan boy hot air intake ftw
FR-Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #38
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sizzle View Post
fan boy hot air intake ftw
Hot air in hot air out.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #39
FR-Sizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill86 View Post
I'll buy it. Haters gonna hate..

I have ARC plastered on my Zed. Fantastic craftsmanship. And, no, I don't have more money than brains..

Gotta love when people insult others because they like a particular brand. Can't afford it? Don't like it? No problem, nothing to see here...move along.

Amuse and ARC are premier parts.

Rather rock APC, AEM, DC Sports? Awesome. Buy what you like.
LOL even people who like Arc even think this intake is a waste of money. It might have fantastic craftsmanship but anyone can see that this was just made to sell just for people who are like you. You really think they put much R&D into this?

You can get a tune that will add just as much power as this and I doubt that this would increase performance much at all if you get a tune. People who have a tune with intakes all have seen similar gains. The gains are more from the tune than the intakes as this engine already has a well built intake from the factory which is why you see drop in filters as the best option. Ask any tuner, they will tell you that after market intakes make it MUCH harder to tune than the stock intake.

Your gains are from leaning the AFR's out. After you get a tune its doubtful this intake will do anything to make your gains that much better. For how much this intake costs you can get a tune and a drop in filter that will produce much better results than this hot air intake. This is for show more than anything. An open air element filter like this will suck in so much hot air. It still uses the OEM orchodion tube. A intake pipe and drop in filter cost 200 dollars and will produce the same results as this and they wont be using leaned out AFR's to make the gains unlike your hot air intake.

Anyone can put a cone filter where your Arc box would go and it would probably produce the same amount of power due to leaning out the AFR's. Only difference is the filter costs probably 100 bucks compared to your over priced box that will soak up even more heat. Notice how other intakes being sold modify the inlet tube also. That IMO is where a lot of the R&D goes due to the air straighteners and how messing with the orchodion tube will change the cars AFR's. This intake from Arc you can tell there was very little R&D done. Just a box with there open element filter that owners from other cars/platforms even say that the filter doesnt even filter well and is more for show than anything else. Theres a reason why people only put these on at car shows and take them off after.

Last edited by FR-Sizzle; 09-22-2014 at 07:49 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-Sizzle For This Useful Post:
B-R-Z (09-22-2014), woode (09-22-2014)
Old 09-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #40
1ofaKind
bRz

Drives: Subaru Brz
Quote:
LOL even people who like Arc even think this intake is a waste of money. It might have fantastic craftsmanship but anyone can see that this was just made to sell just for people who are like you. You really think they put much R&D into this?

You can get a tune that will add just as much power as this and I doubt that this would increase performance much at all if you get a tune. People who have a tune with intakes all have seen similar gains. The gains are more from the tune than the intakes as this engine already has a well built intake from the factory which is why you see drop in filters as the best option. Ask any tuner, they will tell you that after market intakes make it MUCH harder to tune than the stock intake.

Your gains are from leaning the AFR's out. After you get a tune its doubtful this intake will do anything to make your gains that much better. For how much this intake costs you can get a tune and a drop in filter that will produce much better results than this hot air intake. This is for show more than anything. An open air element filter like this will suck in so much hot air. It still uses the OEM orchodion tube. A intake pipe and drop in filter cost 200 dollars and will produce the same results as this and they wont be using leaned out AFR's to make the gains unlike your hot air intake.
LOL, show intake? Who gave you that info??
ill86 (11-02-2014)
Old 09-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #41
FR-Sizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofaKind View Post
LOL, show intake? Who gave you that info??
Go do a search. Someone is butthurt they spent too much money on this hot air intake. Its already common knowledge that an intake is a waste of money unless you want it for the sound/throttle response.

Ive been around these forums since the release of this car and if you have been around as long as me you have seen plenty of dyno threads with most the intakes released. If you think this intake is going to produce anything more than any other intake that was made for this car your mistaken. Go do a search.

Youve only been a member since this year and you think this intake is going to be any better than whats already available for this car. I wouldnt be suprised if this intake LOST power like how the Airaid did due to the position of the intake making it suck more hot air in. Anyone who thinks this intake will not suck in more engine heat is obviously a fan boy.

Please tell me how this intake is any different than someone throwing on a K&N cone filter on this. You honestly think the results will be that much different that would make it worth spending 5-700 dollars on this intake? You and the OP are probably the only 2 people who think this intake is great when Arc is probably laughing all the way to the bank to make a quick buck off fan boys like you.

And unlike you, I went ahead with a aftermarket drop in filter/inlet and used the money I saved for a tune. You probably never had your car tuned have you? Tuners already have said that this cars a nightmare to tune when you have an aftermarket intake. Which is the very reason why I went with a drop in filter/inlet than waste money on an intake that wouldnt produce anything more than what the OEM would do after a tune.
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-Sizzle For This Useful Post:
woode (09-22-2014)
Old 09-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #42
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Go do a search. Someone is butthurt they spent too much money on this hot air intake. Its already common knowledge that an intake is a waste of money unless you want it for the sound/throttle response.

Ive been around these forums since the release of this car and if you have been around as long as me you have seen plenty of dyno threads with most the intakes released. If you think this intake is going to produce anything more than any other intake that was made for this car your mistaken. Go do a search.

Youve only been a member since this year and you think this intake is going to be any better than whats already available for this car. I wouldnt be suprised if this intake LOST power like how the Airaid did due to the position of the intake making it suck more hot air in. Anyone who thinks this intake will not suck in more engine heat is obviously a fan boy.

Please tell me how this intake is any different than someone throwing on a K&N cone filter on this. You honestly think the results will be that much different that would make it worth spending 5-700 dollars on this intake? You and the OP are probably the only 2 people who think this intake is great when Arc is probably laughing all the way to the bank to make a quick buck off fan boys like you.

And unlike you, I went ahead with a aftermarket drop in filter/inlet and used the money I saved for a tune. You probably never had your car tuned have you? Tuners already have said that this cars a nightmare to tune when you have an aftermarket intake. Which is the very reason why I went with a drop in filter/inlet than waste money on an intake that wouldnt produce anything more than what the OEM would do after a tune.
You seem to need a hug or something. His money and his car. Stop the hate bro!
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote