follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 04-18-2019, 01:28 AM   #127
spagti

Drives: Broken Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
I'll be with wifey at that point (picking her up in Flagstaff) but I could probably still take you for like a 15-20 min drive just wouldn't be able to hangout for too long. I've gotta be home on Saturday the 4th. Gonna try and see the Grand Canyon as well. I'll be in Sedona on Wed. and Thursday the 1st and 2nd of May.
Aw bummer. I won't be around those days, but that'll be an awesome trip.
spagti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #128
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That 2 step though! Gotta love that oil pressure too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwfc3ccHxFc/

I got a chance to drive my 1st LS swap BRZ this weekend thanks to my friend Ravi and it did not disappoint. Also got to ride on track with him at Buttonwillow.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NOfgrDpLgo[/ame]
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-22-2019), DustinS (04-23-2019), JoeC (04-22-2019), spitsnaugle (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #129
GrabTheWheel

Well, in case anyone was wondering my trip turned out to be a bit of a fail. Apparently I am making TOO much power, or at least too much for the single disc clutch that was rated for 500 ft/lbs at the flywheel as I ended up making slightly more than that. Car drove great before the clutch started slipping. It was awesome to be in a swapped car where 100% of everything works! Traction, AC, even cruise control!

I've yet to drive any V8 swapped car around a turn but I can tell you it makes driving on the freeway a hell of a lot more entertaining. When you can light up the tires in 3rd with ease every time you go through a tunnel or under a bridge and the looks you get from people are hysterical with that sound coming from a stock looking brz.

I'm going to a Mantic twin disc rated for about double the torque I'm making so I don't think I'll have a problem with it again. Car should be shipped to me before the end of May. I'm off to Vegas with my wife to forget about the fact I still can't drive my car yet
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (04-27-2019), Summerwolf (04-27-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #130
spitsnaugle

Drives: LS Swapped Scion FRS = 440HP
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Any updates on the car?

I was just thinking about it since I smelled some of my own clutch after autocrossing last weekend.
spitsnaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #131
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitsnaugle View Post
Any updates on the car?

I was just thinking about it since I smelled some of my own clutch after autocrossing last weekend.
We installed the Mantic Twin disk with zero issues. Put a 100 or so miles on the thing to break it in and make sure there were no issues. Started it up one morning to pull it out of the shop and the Tilton throw out bearing started squeaking intermittently. Back out it comes to address that
@spitfire481
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (07-09-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #132
all4spl

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Let me know if you would like a good price on mantic. I'm one of the leading distributors in my region for them.
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #133
spitsnaugle

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4spl View Post
Let me know if you would like a good price on mantic. I'm one of the leading distributors in my region for them.
I've been considering the Mcleod Twin disc, but I'm still in my research phase- I'll take a look at Mantic as well.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:27 AM   #134
rixter145
Sleep Chomper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Dumb question but... how does the underpanel and the like look?
rixter145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #135
ILLSMOQ

Drives: 2017 WR BLUE BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitsnaugle View Post
I've been considering the Mcleod Twin disc, but I'm still in my research phase- I'll take a look at Mantic as well.

Can’t say I’ve read anything bad about the mantic clutches.

My McLeod RXT1200 had an inconsistent feel to it, it changed as it heated up. Worked great and looked great when I took it out, but something seemed off with it to me.

I’ve read others have had issues with them too. I sold mine and got one of these.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ll-review.html
ILLSMOQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:15 AM   #136
GrabTheWheel

In case anyone is wondering I finally got my car back!!

Big thank you to Brady and everyone at Pure who worked on the car! Until a couple years ago I didn't think it was possible to have a seamless swap where everything works like factory, especially in a newer car with a totally different manufacturers engine. Brady was very accommodating every step of the way and I don't think I would of had a better experience with any other shop for this swap on this platform. We literally exchanged hundreds of emails making sure everything was built to my preference.

My only real sacrifice has been 10 mpg (less on E85) if I'm taking it easy and not being able to put the throttle to the floor constantly . It definitley has a race car feel which I like but my wife not so much. If you want to build a similar car and want it to be a little less rowdy I'd skip the cam and surge tank but since I intend to go full race car at some point anyway I'm happy I have them! AC is SO GREAT to have for now! Bigger fuel tank would be nice, I'll be buying E85 75 gallons at a time. That should last me about 5 weeks of street driving (as a 2nd car) I drive about 30,000 miles a year total. Since gas is now almost $5 a gallon I'm happy to be on corn fuel for the cheap price and it smells so good. Also really nice not to rely on E85 to make big power, can't say that about the FA20!

Along with all the good there is always some negative. The biggest one for me was drivability at parking lot speeds and from a stop. I REALLY wanted the car to drive like factory from a stop despite having a twin disk and a mild cam. Pure was able to get the car driving well and you could work around the low speed under 1800 rpm flaws by clutching in or inputing more throttle. BUT I'm a picky motherfucker and was not satisfied with adapting my driving around the problem.

SO luckily I was able to connect with my local MoTeC tuner and that has honestly transformed my experience with the car. He spent 16 plus hours over the last 2 days JUST working on the idle and under 2000 rpm driving. The car now drives like factory from a stop, kid you not! I knew it was possible with the right tuning and it feels great. Long story short if you are as picky as I am about how your car drives, you better make friends with your local MoTeC tuner. After 2 long days he's just scratching the surface of perfecting the tune. I'd say 40-100 hours of tuning to make it perfect maybe more. This is something to keep in mind.

If anyone is in SLO county and wants to check it out send me message I'd be happy to oblige.

Last edited by GrabTheWheel; 07-07-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Irace86.2.0 (07-07-2019), Lonewolf (07-10-2019), Pure Automotive (07-09-2019), Zer0 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 03:28 AM   #137
GrabTheWheel

Some interesting data regarding shift points. Engine only made a little over 400 whp on this dyno, kind of a heart breaker but I'm pretty sure a stock fa20 would of been close to 100 whp on this dyno.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ShiftRPM.pdf (24.7 KB, 241 views)
Old 07-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #138
spitsnaugle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
In case anyone is wondering I finally got my car back!!
I think we need to see some finished photos and videos!
Super interested to see how the AC was finished, my compressor is in but I still need to run my lines... its uncomfortably hot in this 90* heat.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:25 PM   #139
GrabTheWheel

Here is a vid from my 2nd AutoX event since the swap. Also my first event on Hoosier A7 tires. At the last event the car was pushing in a way I hadn't felt before. The only other changes (aside from an LS swap) was adding Whiteline sway bars. I went back to the stock front sway bar and softened up the Whiteline bar in the rear. I thought the car would feel too tail happy but it actually felt really good mid corner despite my somewhat sloppy driving.

This was an interesting course, they used about a 10th of the number of cones as the other group I run autocross with and some sections of the course were wide enough to park 2 buses. I think my car does better in the tighter courses where I have the power advantage over the Caymans and size advantage over the Corvettes. This course didn't have too many narrow sections i.e. you could tell it was designed for corvettes by a corvette owner.

The Lotus 7 you see after me was the fast car for the day which is pretty common. I will probably go back to the 200 treadwear class after I go through the Hoosiers so I won't have to compete with sub 2000 lbs cars.

I also had my tuner out there co-driving the car with me. It was interesting because our driving styles were totally different. His approach was to leave the traction control on and keep the car in 1st gear for as much of the course as he possibly could. My approach was to turn traction off after the launch and use a lot more 2nd gear. He was able to beat my time by just under 1 second with his approach but he also was an autocross champion back in the mid 90's. I think I could have matched his time with my approach with just 1 or 2 more tries.

I left relearning 2 valuable autocross lessons. Number 1 walk the course, walk the course, walk the course. Get there early and make sure you study the course the best you can. The complete lack of cones on this course was confusing to me at first. The 2nd one is go SLOW your 1st lap so you can actually learn the course. I tell myself this every time but it's hard to actually do it once your adrenaline is pumping. I know I'm not going to set a fast lap first thing but I still go guns blazing and end up making the same mistakes during my first 2 runs. That day I actually wasted my first 3 runs by rushing right out the gate and not trying familiarize myself with the course first. This isn't a problem if I'm working course first then driving, at that point I've seen enough to have a good grasp on things, problem is I always seem to get put in the group that drives first!

To me the car felt great in 2nd gear with the traction off and the A7's warmed up. 1st gear on the other hand is completely useless without traction control. My tuner might disagree with me as he's use to driving his SCCA protype 2 race car that has as much grip and downforce as you could ever ask for. My ideal setup for the next event would be traction control for 1st gear then have it not active once I shift into 2nd.

After 2 events I'm starting to think that the car isn't really any faster around an autoX course than it was with 330 WHP supercharged. The nice thing is I don't feel like I have to worry about it blowing up! Plus I wasn't really expecting it to be faster at autoX after the swap anyway. On a road course though... I think that will be a different story. I will be finding out at the end of this month, can't wait to get out to Buttonwillow. In preparation I will be making a few cooling mods such as bigger hood vents, a mustache and oem crash bar delete and ducting all the extra air flow towards the radiator.
DustinS (08-12-2019), ILLSMOQ (08-13-2019), Sportsguy83 (08-12-2019), Zer0 (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 10:49 PM   #140
GrabTheWheel

Some interesting data comparing our 2 fast laps that were 8 tenths apart.
Attached Images