follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #15
paulca

Drives: Toyota GT86 Coupe Red (UK)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Yes you can put it in neutral while moving. You can put it in neutral and turn the ignition off while moving. In fact once in a while I like to scare friends doing this. Most people don't know you can lol
So what happens when you put it back into drive? Does it just reconnect in the right gear etc?

I had a friend who used to switch the engine off and freewheel down steep hills. Then one day she took the keys out of the ignition and waved them in front of us, but as she tried to steer away from the hedge she realised taking the keys out puts the steering lock on! Never seen someone get the keys in the ignition faster, LOL
Old 08-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #16
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Yes you can put it in neutral while moving. You can put it in neutral and turn the ignition off while moving. In fact once in a while I like to scare friends doing this. Most people don't know you can lol
I once did that on the hiway from SF to LA. My brother needed the cig. lighter that was in the toolbox in the back seat, but it was locked.

He put it in neutral turned off the engine and handed me the keys to unlock the box.
He immediately started yelling KEYS! KEYS! for me to give them back to him when he realized the the steering had locked.

Dont do that.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #17
paulca

Drives: Toyota GT86 Coupe Red (UK)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
If you have the keyless entry car with the push button start/stop, you have to hold the button in for a while for it to kill the engine while rolling. Never tried myself and I don't remember from the manual if the steering lock comes on too... who wants to volunteer? LOL
teamturbo (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #18
schmearcampain

Drives: 2014 Argento FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I drive the I-5 Grapevine in So. Cal. with some regularity. (For those who don't know, the Grapevine is a 33 mile mountain pass freeway. At the ends of the pass, there's a long ascent/descent of 4-5 miles. The Northern slope is steeper and longer than the Southern one.)

Coasting down either end in 6th gear will drop speeds to below 70mph which is unacceptable. On the Southern slope, I'll coast down in neutral and it'll hold at 74-76 mph. On the Northern slope, neutral will have the car speeding up past 85mph, and coasting in 6th will drop down below 70, so I'll coast until about 82mph and then engage 6th to slow down to 75. Then back to neutral. (Don't worry, I don't do this if there's any traffic to annoy).
schmearcampain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schmearcampain For This Useful Post:
#maverick# (08-25-2014)