follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #1
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
warning about walnut creek toyota

I recently had my transmission replaced under warranty with these guys and when I got my car back they had cross threaded my shifter knob (minor obviously), they installed the shifter plate backwards so I needed to lift the shift lock collar to even get into 1st gear...then when I finally got it back there was a rattle sound coming from it. I told them to check it out but they denied it because they blamed the rattle on my after market exhaust. So I took my car to a local car shop that we deliver to (I work at a dealership also)for a second opinion, they discovered a sheared stud and a crack in my block due to improper installation. So needless to say I will be going back there and demanding they fix the car and if they try to deny my then I will be pressing charges.

Do not go to Walnut Creek Toyota in CA east bay. Crooks.

was told to post this again in my regional section so here it is.
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #2
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

update they said they will have a toyota rep inspect the work if i put on the stock exhaust, which i do still have, and we will go from there. but please stay away from that dealership as they are very unorganized and I would not recommend them to anyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to driftartist For This Useful Post:
Packofcrows (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #3
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sometimes it boggles my mind how dealership service departments can fuck up this badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
brianhj (06-11-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
That sucks dude,,now this is my concern too.....cus my car is mod and got body kit..i scare they will fk up my car too...

So far, steven creek toyota @ cupertino is doing a great job.
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,859 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I see some nodded FR-S getting serviced at my dealership.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:51 AM   #6
exE36M3

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
FWIW - bad dealers also tend to have bad service departments. It seems the two always go hand in hand.

Worse yet, turnover for mechanics can be pretty high. Honestly, if the average age of the mechanics are under 40, chances are, the techs are all fresh out of tech school and not very experienced (let alone even know how to use the tools in the shop).
exE36M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exE36M3 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (06-12-2016), Packofcrows (06-15-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 10:03 PM   #7
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftartist View Post
I recently had my transmission replaced under warranty with these guys and when I got my car back they had cross threaded my shifter knob (minor obviously), they installed the shifter plate backwards so I needed to lift the shift lock collar to even get into 1st gear...then when I finally got it back there was a rattle sound coming from it. I told them to check it out but they denied it because they blamed the rattle on my after market exhaust. So I took my car to a local car shop that we deliver to (I work at a dealership also)for a second opinion, they discovered a sheared stud and a crack in my block due to improper installation. So needless to say I will be going back there and demanding they fix the car and if they try to deny my then I will be pressing charges.

Do not go to Walnut Creek Toyota in CA east bay. Crooks.

was told to post this again in my regional section so here it is.
This is why I don't even take my car in for "free" dealership oil changes. It usually ends up costing a lot more than "free". Not just in terms of money but grief and time as well.
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to brianhj For This Useful Post:
amazingbrz (06-15-2016), Clipdat (06-12-2016), ndsleep612 (06-12-2016), Packofcrows (06-15-2016), strat61caster (06-20-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Ill be dropping it off tomorrow to hopefully get the engine and trans replaced...I will update everyone when I hear back. I really don't even want to deal with them on this but I have to if I want my stuff replaced.

It is just really sad and a bummer that they failed to install that transmission properly the first time. I just dont want anyone else to get screwed over by them. It's not fair how they run their business. my car is entirely stock aside from the exhaust and the suspension. All my after market parts are TRD so its not even like I put some no name stuff on there to give the dealership a scare..I hope it all works out because i really like the car and all the hard work I've put into it. But I have no choice but to handle this in a mature and professional manner
Old 06-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #9
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
This is why I don't even take my car in for "free" dealership oil changes. It usually ends up costing a lot more than "free". Not just in terms of money but grief and time as well.
you are 100% correct. I only took it in to address a gear grinding issue, and since I was still under power train warranty I thought i would be ok and covered
Old 06-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #10
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

update 6/16/2016-

last night after work I went there with the picture in hand. They showed me the casting mark but then when I showed the picture they were shocked to realized that it actually was a crack...they missed it in the inspection which is hard to believe because it was a very good size. They stated that the tech must have had it improperly aligned when tightening the bell housing and therefore the weight and angle cracked that part of my engine. they will be replacing all damaged parts. More to come.

note: the technician I spoke to even said this about the person who did the install "Yeah, it did look like he was having trouble getting it positioned".

Toyota Rep flying today to see the car

updates to come
The Following User Says Thank You to driftartist For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 02:46 PM   #11
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Oooo.. do i have the story for u about walnut creek toyota..

If u follow my trans repair threads and my headache its from walnut creek toyota.. anyways will type further info later about my horrible experience with them.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
driftartist (06-16-2016), Packofcrows (06-15-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #12
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

update 6/20:

Upper oil pan cracked, parts ordered, eta repair is this wed or thurs (6/22-6/23).

about the rattle, possible replacement of clutch disk or spring. more to come at the end of the week. please be wary of this dealership. I dont want anyone else to get screwed over like me. and always stand your ground and research and double check anothers work. always.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to driftartist For This Useful Post:
brianhj (06-20-2016), SmartedPanda (06-21-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #13
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

hopefully final update 6/30/2016

The car should be done today. I proved to them the rattle was clutch related and they are replacing the clutch disk and the crack is now fixed. Engine is resealed and should be all finished, they asked me if I wanted to pay for the additional clutch parts (tob pilot bearing pressure plate and resurface flywheel) seeing as how they werent covered (there was nothing wrong with them they just wanted to know if I wanted new parts while it was all opened up) for $350 dollars, which I agreed to because Id rather have all new components and figured it would be worth it.

So I pick up the car tonight and will be doing a full drive cycle and test drive to make sure it feels right. Ill be getting it on jack stands tonight to inspect the underside and make sure everything looks good and clean with no leaks. I will report what I find.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #14
DarkPhoenix
Mischief Managed

Drives: 2014 FR-S, 2021 Audi Q3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Reading these horror stories, I feel utterly spoiled by my experiences with Hansel Toyota in Petaluma. Everyone there LOVES my car, and seem to have a passion for them - said they live for the days they get one in to work on. And the cashier frequently says she's jealous and wants my car. When I took the FR-S out for a test drive, they insisted I actually put it through the paces on some of the back country roads, even.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help you guys in the east bay though