follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #15
BRZSteve

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Have you considered contacting Tein USA about this?

If the shock body is bottoming out in the lower bracket, they made a design change in production that has obviously impacted the advertised specs.

My Ohlins from 2013 were a similar situation, I suspect they used parts from another platform to reduce some manufacturing costs.

-alex
I just contacting them over the phone and they said it was my preload. Apparently this was a common problem. They gave me a link on how I should fix this so ill post it in here if anybody needs. Hopefully this works

http://teinusa-blog.com/applying-suspension-preload/
Old 05-08-2017, 07:26 AM   #16
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
You have tons of threads showing. If you want lower you want to the lower cup to move closer to the springs
Old 05-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #17
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
You have tons of threads showing. If you want lower you want to the lower cup to move closer to the springs
x2

you put more pre-load not height. i was thinking about samething when i saw many thread showing
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:58 AM   #18
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
Just because there are threads showing doesnt mean that there is anymore adjustment. If the shock body is bottomed out in the cup, that is the lowest it'll go. We have the same coilovers on our car:

This is max adjustment for the rear on our set.

OP, that's all we got out of our car too (same wheels too), but we had a taller sidewall tire, which helped a bit with the gap. We never bothered with adding more preload, as I dont think it would have had the effect we wanted. Yours honestly looks a little bit higher, but it could just be the different tires. It's entirely possible that the shock bodies are longer than they should be, but obviously I'm not positive. But it is a reasonable explanation for why it would be higher than others when maxed out.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
BRZSteve (05-09-2017), zc06_kisstherain (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #19
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
Just because there are threads showing doesnt mean that there is anymore adjustment. If the shock body is bottomed out in the cup, that is the lowest it'll go. We have the same coilovers on our car:

OP, that's all we got out of our car too (same wheels too), but we had a taller sidewall tire, which helped a bit with the gap. We never bothered with adding more preload, as I dont think it would have had the effect we wanted. Yours honestly looks a little bit higher, but it could just be the different tires. It's entirely possible that the shock bodies are longer than they should be, but obviously I'm not positive. But it is a reasonable explanation for why it would be higher than others when maxed out.

Chase
Engineering

I see what you mean. If the shock body is too long for those then no more will fit into the bottom cup.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #20
BRZSteve

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post

Chase
Engineering

Thanks for the detailed response, this makes sense now. And yeah, the tire definitely has something to do with it, these are fairly thin sidewalls. The only thing that is confusing is that the passenger side is at least a 1/2 inch lower then the drivers side, which makes me think I did something wrong.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2017, 05:18 PM   #21
BFIFE22

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Keep in mind the springs will end up settling a tad. Mine looked similar to yours when I first installed them and now I have in between a 1 and 2 finger gap in the rear
BRZSteve (05-09-2017)