follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #99
itzaustin

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
Agreed. I think the oft is a great, I use one on my car and so do a few of my friends. It's a great option for those who are just doing bolts on and want to learn about timing.

I understand that Shiv is a busy guy, however if he is too busy to reply to emails (which is possible) don't take people's money for an etune. Just reply back saying 'Unfortunately Im swamped I'll get back to you later in regards to the tune'. I don't mean any disrespect but people are paying for a service and want a return for their hard earned money. Even if that is just a 'sorry, ill get back to you as soon as I can'

Hopefully that post wasn't out of line. Apparently I've done that before.
Agreed with everything in this post. Like i would be fine with a simple quick reply of him saying "I'm super busy and will get to it as soon as I can." But not hearing anything for 11 days? That's a bit much honestly and is making me Very frustrated. That's why at this point I'm saving up going to get ecutek and get a real dyno tune, I'm tired of the lack of communication.
itzaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #100
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzaustin View Post
Agreed with everything in this post. Like i would be fine with a simple quick reply of him saying "I'm super busy and will get to it as soon as I can." But not hearing anything for 11 days? That's a bit much honestly and is making me Very frustrated. That's why at this point I'm saving up going to get ecutek and get a real dyno tune, I'm tired of the lack of communication.
He's busy with other platforms that are going to make more money for him.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
itzaustin (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 05:08 PM   #101
itzaustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Well if that is the case he shouldn't offer the e-tuning to be done in a couple days to few weeks but he should advertise it to take longer. Or just let people know ahead of time that it will take longer lol, better yet just communicate and send emails, I've sent him 6 in the last 11 days and have heard nothing. I mean more power to him for doing more to make him money, but it's not fair to the people who purchased the service and are getting nothing out of it really.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:54 PM   #102
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
It's not hard to tell a customer "I can't take on any more work right now"

Once money exchanges hands you'd better deliver in a timely manor. Shit happens, we all understand that. BUT, to take someone's money and go silent on them is BS. That's why I will not buy one of his gadgets. I've seen think too many times now.
@shiv, you really need to get a handle on your business before it go south...
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
itzaustin (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 07:42 PM   #103
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
All the above makes me want to re-quote this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
Shiv has been nothing but great to work with.....Dude is an 86 wizard and is as reputable as they come.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (04-24-2017), itzaustin (04-22-2017), trvth (04-25-2017), vintagemxer (05-05-2017), xxBrun0xx (05-21-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 11:16 PM   #104
itzaustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
It's not hard to tell a customer "I can't take on any more work right now"

Once money exchanges hands you'd better deliver in a timely manor. Shit happens, we all understand that. BUT, to take someone's money and go silent on them is BS. That's why I will not buy one of his gadgets. I've seen think too many times now.
@shiv, you really need to get a handle on your business before it go south...
Agree with this completely. Couldn't have said it better. Its all super frustrating. Especially the fact that i paid $500 for the tablet and now $245 for the tune. And now im going to have to go out and pay for ecutek and a new tune since this just isnt going I'm a timely manner. It's a shame really. He's done a good amount for tthe 86 community, but going silent on paying customers just isn't good for business.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itzaustin For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (04-22-2017), new2subaru (04-23-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #105
jerseymike1966

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Ugh. This thread is disheartening. I have the OFT and like the ability to tweak the tune myself. But I will be getting the Sprintex SC in a few weeks and hate to hear about the e-tuning troubles with the OFT/Shiv. On the other hand Moto East is only an hour from me, but I don't like locked tunes. I have a locked tune on my truck and have to get the tuner to change the tune every time I mod the truck. Luckily, he keeps doing revisions for every mod(probably 50+ new tunes in the last 3 years). I'm thinking that would cost me a small fortune at Moto East. Anyone have a Sprintex base tune I can use as a reference to create my own tune? I am not a tuner but sure am a cut and paste pro.
jerseymike1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #106
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Have you had issues getting info from him on your tune as well?
Old 05-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #107
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Have you had issues getting info from him on your tune as well?
I've dealt with them via email once, and getting a reply was like pulling teeth.

There's also the thing about how long it takes for updates, new implementations that never take off, and seem to be abandoned after the original post, letting employees "steal" product to sell on here, and excuse after excuse about why he can't follow up on things in a timely manner.

I'd hazard a guess that if I treated my clients this way, I'd be losing my company millions per year.

I entirely understand that things get busy for people, but leaving people hanging for days, or weeks, or months at a time isn't ok. Even if he just sends an email and says "Got your email, will get back to you when I can. Things are just super busy here" would go a LONG way. And, for this reason, if I ever decide to get another OFT, I'll either buy used, or get a tactrix cable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #108
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've dealt with them via email once, and getting a reply was like pulling teeth.

There's also the thing about how long it takes for updates, new implementations that never take off, and seem to be abandoned after the original post, letting employees "steal" product to sell on here, and excuse after excuse about why he can't follow up on things in a timely manner.

I'd hazard a guess that if I treated my clients this way, I'd be losing my company millions per year.
Maybe he doesnt like you. I had emailed him before and he replied after 2 days. I guess its a hit or miss
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #109
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So.. despite this thread I decided to go for etuning with open flash performance. I have gotten about a response every day~2 days, and almost exclusively in the evening time. I haven't gotten into the software phase, as I decided to give going flex fuel a try and haven't gotten my hardware entirely squared away yet, but for my 2c he's been responsive enough
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #110
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

I entirely understand that things get busy for people, but leaving people hanging for days, or weeks, or months at a time isn't ok. Even if he just sends an email and says "Got your email, will get back to you when I can. Things are just super busy here" would go a LONG way. And, for this reason, if I ever decide to get another OFT, I'll either buy used, or get a tactrix cable.
If millions a year are involved there would be a bigger staff.
So your whole criticisms are based upon the complaints you read here. The fact that there could be hundreds (thousands) of happy customers means nothing and just the vocal ones with issues means he is just "working on other platforms to make more money". Seems legit.

Obviously he does need to improve communication but that does not mean that the current customers have been swept aside in favour of new platforms as you keep saying.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #111
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Maybe he doesnt like you. I had emailed him before and he replied after 2 days. I guess its a hit or miss
That's fine. If he has a personal thing against me, I'll just give my money to a vendor who doesn't, or I'll get a tactrix cable and use open source tuning by it's definition.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #112
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If millions a year are involved there would be a bigger staff.
So your whole criticisms are based upon the complaints you read here. The fact that there could be hundreds (thousands) of happy customers means nothing and just the vocal ones with issues means he is just "working on other platforms to make more money". Seems legit.

Obviously he does need to improve communication but that does not mean that the current customers have been swept aside in favour of new platforms as you keep saying.
Well, for the projects I work on, my boss bids them, one engineer does a pre-assessment for it, then my crew (3 people) plan and execute the work, then it's sent back to that same engineer for review. Not really a huge staff, when you compare a 1.5 million dollar project, to a 500 dollar tablet.

The complaints I've read here seem to be in line with what I've experienced, so yeah, I would say it's legit. If you're too swamped to deal with people in reasonable timing, it's time to expand.

Tags
openflash, openflash tablet, shiv