follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List
CSG Mike, gramicci101, grant86, GrimmSpeed, JDLAutoDesign, JRitt, KCMachine, King Tut, MillersOilsUS, PERRIN, phastafrican, Racecomp Engineering, Raceseng, Roadcone, Sportsguy83, UltramarineLuck, VerusEric, Wonderbar, Xero-Limit

Old 08-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #1191
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phastafrican View Post
I'd like to see how that works in a 48 minute race at Road Atlanta where you're full throttle for nearly 75% of the lap.
I wasn't srs
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (08-20-2014), phastafrican (08-20-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #1192
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by phastafrican View Post
Hell, even using regular pump gas in the GTI, I had that happen at Roebling. (there's no gas at the track for those that don't know, and the gate is closed when there's a session running). Left to go get gas and something happened on track so the session before the race got ended early and race started 5 minutes early. Got back as the pace car was released. Can all be mitigated, but I like sharing my mistakes if someone learns anything at all from it.
I had a similar thing happen to me at my first race weekend at Roebling with NASA. I made it back during the session before my race after getting some lunch and had to sit there and watch as all the SpecE30s headed to the grid. I had to wait till that session was done then rush across the track and get in my suit and get the car out on track. I think I started 2 laps down, haha. I told myself I would never leave the track for lunch again, and I haven't missed a race start since.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #1193
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
They need to dig at least a pedestrian tunnel under the front straight at Roebling
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #1194
phastafrican

Drives: 2013 Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
I told myself I would never leave the track for lunch again, and I haven't missed a race start since.
Words of wisdom to live by. But nice to know I'm not the only one who's screwed up there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
They need to dig at least a pedestrian tunnel under the front straight at Roebling
Actually, a pedestrian overhead bridge between the entry and exit roads would be fairly easy and inexpensive. Plus a great place to take photos/videos of cars on the front straight too.
RaceCar:2013 Scion FR-S #986 NASA PTD || Tow:2011 Dodge Durango R/T
phastafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phastafrican For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #1195
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
ESC Controller would be toast assuming the dump batteries lasted even 20 minutes
Methinks you may have missed a few developments over the last couple of months. Since I've been running my AUX charger (second charger to the primary in the controller), I haven't had any heat issues. The recharge load is now spread across the two chargers. This is without extra ducting (because it hasn't been necessary). If needed I have another option for that. Battery recharge rate is nearly double as well. Data coming soon.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #1196
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Methinks you may have missed a few developments over the last couple of months. Since I've been running my AUX charger (second charger to the primary in the controller), I haven't had any heat issues. The recharge load is now spread across the two chargers. This is without extra ducting (because it hasn't been necessary). If needed I have another option for that. Battery recharge rate is nearly double as well. Data coming soon.
Good news, thanks for the update. I have missed the newest developments past the first few data points that came in from the first round of track testing with the overheating controllers. I like the ESC concept and design but in execution, specifically for a road course application, the boost curve leaves a lot to be desired even if the charger and controller are working fine. I understand that every PSI counts even if its 1psi at redline because its non-parasitic! I'd love to see the TQ250 with a motor that spins the compressor fast enough to make more than a few PSI of boost in the upper rpm range, but that may be hitting load limits down low pretty easily. I hope they figure out how to build ESC boost progressively like a full time SC.
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #1197
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Interesting discussion...here's what we've seen and why @ATL BRZ has stayed NA for so long.

NA, 200hp, great consistent power. Won't get you around the vette on the straights, but you can have fun on most tracks when properly set up.

Using tires to go faster: works well, expensive lap after lap when buying slicks. Will need a dry sump if you get real slicks. Boxers really suck at this as oil pools in the heads.

So next step is FI. Turbo: heat, stress, heat....unless you get a super efficient garrett 25 series or small EFR, you'll be churning way too much power. 300whp is too much IMO. Find me a semi-prepped 300whp BRZ or FR-S that churns lap after lap at 300whp--and does a whole season. I bet you that race team has much more money than most. Or isn't running anything near the stock engine/trans.

Not just tires, brakes, cooling...but the wear and tear that comes from pushing 300whp with skill on the track. Won't be doing that with stock gears for long, or driveshafts, or stock oiling once you move to slicks.

SC is a better solution, and why the rotrex stuff works well. They make good consistent power, shed heat pretty well, but their area under the curve is actually somewhat limited. This keeps torque down, power is there when you absolutely need it (just wind out that gear a bit longer) and weight gain is minimal. Power is easy to keep to under 225 ft/lbs. Just keep spare belts. Wear is RAPIDLY accelerated with track use due to the time at WOT.

My take on it at least. For every high powered modded street car on track, there's a miata driver the following season

Last edited by Xero-Limit; 08-21-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (08-21-2014), DarkSunrise (08-22-2014), gramicci101 (08-21-2014), phastafrican (08-21-2014), Totality (10-01-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #1198
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-mike View Post
For every high powered modded street car on track, there's a miata driver the following season
I've seen this first hand just recently with a previous student of mine who had a monster built-motor, Cobb tuned STI hatchback which ended up blowing the welds clean off the turbo downpipe flange exiting turn 5 at Road Atlanta when we hit full boost after several hot laps.

He just bought a spec-Miata
Old 08-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #1199
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@moto-mike,

So, turbo = too much heat in a confined space, potentially melting wires and belts and cars after long term high rpm usage.

Supercharger = ok if you have to, but track usage tends to wear them down too.

NA is best for track, but we're kind of limited with that. Even if he did a full NA build with ported and polished heads, valve work, lightened and balanced crank, etc..., could he really approach the power levels of a supercharger? And if so, at what monetary cost?
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:58 AM   #1200
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
@moto-mike,

So, turbo = too much heat in a confined space, potentially melting wires and belts and cars after long term high rpm usage.

Supercharger = ok if you have to, but track usage tends to wear them down too.

NA is best for track, but we're kind of limited with that. Even if he did a full NA build with ported and polished heads, valve work, lightened and balanced crank, etc..., could he really approach the power levels of a supercharger? And if so, at what monetary cost?
None knows as to what the NA limit will be. People are just starting to develop that. What we're seeing now is just the beginning.

The SC doesn't wear the down nearly as much. You just need to understand that belts are wear items and expect to replace them a season or two. A very minor thing when you consider the brake bleeds, tire changes, general maintenance with a track car.

Turbo isn't just heat in a confined space, it is the power output. More power means bigger radiator, oil cooler, venting etc...
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (08-22-2014), gramicci101 (08-22-2014), phastafrican (08-22-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #1201
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
I've seen this first hand just recently with a previous student of mine who had a monster built-motor, Cobb tuned STI hatchback which ended up blowing the welds clean off the turbo downpipe flange exiting turn 5 at Road Atlanta when we hit full boost after several hot laps.

He just bought a spec-Miata
He bought the wrong car then. SpecE30 is where it is at in the Southeast. There will be 40 plus cars at the East Coast Championships in a couple weeks.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #1202
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
My take on it at least. For every high powered modded street car on track, there's a miata driver the following season
What if you are already a SpecE30 driver? I want to see someone with a BRZ/FR-S prove the turbo track car doubters wrong.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #1203
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Will need a dry sump if you get real slicks. Boxers really suck at this as oil pools in the heads.
This seems to be a controversial topic for our cars. Some say we have "enough" baffling from the factory.

I am seriously looking into the Racer X baffled oil pan as I'm a safety nut and really want to prevent oil starvation any way I can even if my car isn't pulling over 1G in the corners. I'm actually going to borrow a friends TrackMate for my next event to see where the cornering loads are at.

Mike have you looked into oil accumulators for the FA20?

Phil at Element Tuning has got some great info and an amazing 9k rpm turbo build using an accumulator. Ive been wondering if a plebe like me with a N/A or even a low boost, 7k rpm SC build could benefit from running slicks with an accumulator in tandem with a baffled pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
I want to see someone with a BRZ/FR-S prove the turbo track car doubters wrong.
See the link above to Phil's build (and watch this video) as it looks to be a serious contender for what you're looking for, although it's a very pricy build.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #1204
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
See the link above to Phil's build (and watch this video) as it looks to be a serious contender for what you're looking for, although it's a very pricy build.
I have been following Phil and Element Tuning since they first got their FA20Club turbo kit.

Tags
jdl turbo, mazworx, racecomp engineering, track build, verus engineering