follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Brian S

Drives: Hinda Civic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HKS Supercharged 86 on dyno..

I dont know if there is a thread on this yet but if not it definitly deserves a thread of its own. No numbers are posted of the run but you gotta freaking here this thing. Nastyy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4u_r7_6PjQ&feature=related"]HKS Racing Performer 86 HKS GT SC シャーシ - YouTube[/ame]
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Nice. Unfortunately, it's not just a supercharger kit, but a whole engine build to compliment the supercharger. The HKS kit you buy won't make as much power.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Brian S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
Nice. Unfortunately, it's not just a supercharger kit, but a whole engine build to compliment the supercharger. The HKS kit you buy won't make as much power.
Oh, I know that. I was just posting something that gave an idea to what this supercharger can provide. Right now I am wondering just what could have been done this early to provide that much power. In fact, maybe e-mailing hks asking them to provide the modifications that were done to this car would be nice. Are the internals like piston size comparable to the WRX? I dont get it and am curious as hell to find out, with a car that early to consumers.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Drives: Mazdaspeed 6 2.3 AWD Turbo
Garage
yes there is a supercharger thread here but i cant get enough of that dyno!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3878

92 carmy -> 86 corolla-> Honda S2000 -> Audi TT -> Mazdaspeed6 -> NEXT UP TOYOTA FT-86!!!!
ESBjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Brian S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESBjiujitsu View Post
yes there is a supercharger thread here but i cant get enough of that dyno!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3878
Right dude isnt that f****** sick?! Sounds like a formula 1 car the way that thing is screaming..
Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Garage
Yeah im in love with it. Im 100% on board with this kit. I think showing that it has 400hp potential on a built motor is fantastic. Im not looking for near that output. It looks like from peoples math that the kit will add roughly 75hp bringing it to 250hp to the ground on stock internals on .6 bar boost and thats perfect for me. Ill be doing some nice weight reduction to add to the effect and I am sure I will be satisfied with that ..... for a bit

I search everyday for move videos of the stock kit.... i cant wait until they release it, its going to be huge. I love my turbo car now but I feel the centrifugal sc really provides decent power for the little amount of setup especially with this setup and the fuel injection.

92 carmy -> 86 corolla-> Honda S2000 -> Audi TT -> Mazdaspeed6 -> NEXT UP TOYOTA FT-86!!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
Praetendere
FNG

Drives: 19 WRX
It's... Beautiful...
Praetendere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
Cessblood
Boost equals pleasure

Drives: MT Raven FRS Lexus ES300 &Turbo tc
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah im in love with it. Im 100% on board with this kit. I think showing that it has 400hp potential on a built motor is fantastic. Im not looking for near that output. It looks like from peoples math that the kit will add roughly 75hp bringing it to 250hp to the ground on stock internals on .6 bar boost and thats perfect for me. Ill be doing some nice weight reduction to add to the effect and I am sure I will be satisfied with that ..... for a bit

I search everyday for move videos of the stock kit.... i cant wait until they release it, its going to be huge. I love my turbo car now but I feel the centrifugal sc really provides decent power for the little amount of setup especially with this setup and the fuel injection.
Yeah. They said on the stock motor + the supercharger made 250WHP. The rebuild motor + the supercharger made 394WHP.

You are not the only one that is looking for more videos of the stock kit.

I hope they release the price soon so I can edit my mod list.

Last edited by Cessblood; 05-15-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Cessblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Garage
yeah....what more could you want. Its going to be a great kit....cant wait to see what the redline makes its way too i love me some rpms! 250hp at that weight is a beast. And to think thats just with a exhaust/tune/sc no other internals or power mods, maybe a catch can to be safe lol, but thats great power to price ratio and some awesome reliability. The setups is just so clean and simple too. Turbo companies will need to get some teasers out there quick to prevent everyone from jumping on the sc band wagon but hoenstly i have been wanting a SC car for a while so unless comeone comes up with a badass roots type cold side charger then im all for this HKS kit!

Old 05-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
Brian S

Quote:
yeah....what more could you want. Its going to be a great kit....cant wait to see what the redline makes its way too i love me some rpms! 250hp at that weight is a beast. And to think thats just with a exhaust/tune/sc no other internals or power mods, maybe a catch can to be safe lol, but thats great power to price ratio and some awesome reliability. The setups is just so clean and simple too. Turbo companies will need to get some teasers out there quick to prevent everyone from jumping on the sc band wagon but hoenstly i have been wanting a SC car for a while so unless comeone comes up with a badass roots type cold side charger then im all for this HKS kit!
You are making a good choice, I think a lot of people who tend to favor turbos over SC's forget one very important issue and that is reliability. The SC is going to put way less strain on a NA motor with stock internals than a turbo upgrade, and a SC is not in-line with a hot as hell, exhaust manifold.

Overall, SC's sit in a better location under the hood and not dealing with the same extreme temps as a turbo would. Also, they are not restricting exhaust gas flow which people forget to acknowledge.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian S For This Useful Post:
ESBjiujitsu (05-15-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
bloated

Drives: lots of them
Supercharged 86

I saw this thread and thought you guys might like to know about another supercharger system that has just become available for the 86 [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWb6Ff5HzDs"]Bullet SC 86 - YouTube[/ame]

y'all should hop on over and have a look at their FB page, their doing more than just supercharging the 86

https://www.facebook.com/Bulletcars
bloated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
dunphyjp

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
roots type would change the way power's delivered though... IMHO the only type of forced induction that will keep the character of the car's current engine will be a centrifical supercharger (spelling >< i'm from the turbo world and don't speak superchargers well).

also my main issue with the way the roots type bullet supercharger is mounted and all is that it takes what used to be a 1.5 foot pipe and made it into like a 6 foot pipe because of how it's mounted... the beauty of the position of the throttle body stock is that it allows intakes to go on easily and means you can have less piping for a FMIC... once again it's all my personal opinion...
dunphyjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
topazsparrow

Drives: slow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloated View Post
I saw this thread and thought you guys might like to know about another supercharger system that has just become available for the 86

y'all should hop on over and have a look at their FB page, their doing more than just supercharging the 86

https://www.facebook.com/Bulletcars

That's AWESOME. A roots charger would just about completely remove that pesky mid range torque dip. It looks pretty nice from what I see in the video too. pretty clean setup.

The intake tract looks a little bit longer, but I don't think that matters much. I wonder how much boost they can run with this setup before worrying about heat and the immense gain in low end torque.
topazsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #14
Camotec
Large Member

Drives: Toyota GT86 - Silver
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The Bullet roots/twin-screw setup comes with a new intake manifold as well. There is no more dip in the torque curve in fact there is a bit of fat in the torque curve. The Bullet setup keeps the stock character of the motor, excellent throttle response and predictable power.

The centrifugal style supercharger that HKS will be selling works by transforming air velocity into pressure which can have a turbo lag style of effect, you can also get a supercharger surge with this type of supercharger. I am not saying HKS haven't dont their homework.

but in my 'educated' opinion, the roots style supercharger is a better match for the FA20.
Camotec is offline   Reply With Quote