follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 01-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #113
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
So, in the case of someone who is allergic then, do the cooks still just say "Ah, fuck it!"? Seems like you need to explain to your cooks that pulling that shit is absolutely unacceptable.
Every job has guys that just don't give a shit and can harm others by screwing up their work. Bet the biggest boss could tell them not to do it and they still would so a server isn't going to have any impact on them. I have made a good living over the years because those kind of guys exist.
pushrod (01-06-2016), strat61caster (01-07-2016), TheVoiceOfReason (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #114
nickmerronesucks
Ned flanders

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 Hellcat, 22 Ram 2500
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
I don't tip. If they don't make enough money then they can quit.
I don't tip because society says I have to.

All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
THIS.

I make a low hourly wage, I must deserve tips too. thanks
Old 01-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #115
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Every job has guys that just don't give a shit and can harm others by screwing up their work. Bet the biggest boss could tell them not to do it and they still would so a server isn't going to have any impact on them. I have made a good living over the years because those kind of guys exist.
Then maybe they should be worried about their job security. If I consistently fucked up on jobs, I wouldn't be employed. Though, I'm working on multi-million dollar contracts, so it's not exactly apples to apples.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:19 AM   #116
Tcoat

Quote:
Then maybe they should be worried about their job security. If I consistently fucked up on jobs, I wouldn't be employed. Though, I'm working on multi-million dollar contracts, so it's not exactly apples to apples.
You ever know a cook (not a chef) that didn't also own a place to stay very long anyway? They can be the migrant workers of the service world.
Ultramaroon (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #117
Mmmankey

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.HyperBlue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
On New Years Eve I drunkenly tipped 100%
Mmmankey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mmmankey For This Useful Post:
RobertPaulson (01-07-2016), Tcoat (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #118
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmankey View Post
On New Years Eve I drunkenly tipped 100%
I accidently tipped $60 instead of $6 on a debit card one time. I am sure she was happy since I was to embarrassed to go ask for it back (she was hot though so maybe it was a subconscious action all along)
Cmorris8848 (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 10:32 PM   #119
904FRSlow

Drives: '13 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
So, in the case of someone who is allergic then, do the cooks still just say "Ah, fuck it!"? Seems like you need to explain to your cooks that pulling that shit is absolutely unacceptable.
If I notice something is off, ill tell them for sure. But if its sauce on the side, the chef doesn't want to recook the order so I'm basically forced to take it and then I end up with the lower tip. If they are allergic, its something I can't bring out even if they have to remake it.
904FRSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:23 AM   #120
ollie

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I accidently tipped $60 instead of $6 on a debit card one time. I am sure she was happy since I was to embarrassed to go ask for it back (she was hot though so maybe it was a subconscious action all along)

Dude that is actually really funny

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ollie For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #121
Springs1

Drives: Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904FRSlow View Post
Sometimes(most times actually), its the cooks fault who didn't read all the notes.
This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT TRUE, here's why:

90% of the time it's the SERVER'S FAULT:

1. They can put in the order wrong into the computer or if it's a written ticket they submit, they could have written something down wrong or hard to read.

2. They could have forgotten to put in the order in the first place.

3. Servers can also misunderstand what the customer is saying such as 2 times when I ordered 2 sides of bbq sauce and the stupid idiot servers thought I didn’t want bbq sauce on my ribs when I NEVER ONCE SAID I didn’t and I didn’t say “ON THE SIDE”, I SAID SIDES, which means extra. One of those times I said extra even.

4. Most mistakes with food are visible:

A. Condiments of any kind regardless of who brings out the food can be brought out by the server ahead of time.

B. If someone orders extra crispy bacon with their pancakes, then the bacon looks limp, not stiff, and you can even see some white fat on it, guess what? MY SERVER COULD HAVE SEEN THAT TOO AND TOLD THE COOKS IT WASN'T CORRECT, TO RECOOK IT INSTEAD OF BRINGING IT TO ME WRONG IN THE FIRST PLACE!

C. Any wrong side dishes or entrees are the fault of the server if they bring out the food even if they put in the order right. You can tell the difference between a baked potato and mac n' cheese, yet, a waiter at Logan's Roadhouse was so stupid as to bring me mac n' cheese when I ordered a baked potato. I noticed it within 5 seconds of the food hitting my table. Like DUH a baked potato looks completely different from mac n' cheese.

D. Any MISSING side dishes, appetizers, condiments, or entrees ARE the server's fault if they bring out the food as well. Have had that happen a few times or so. Our servers aren't blind, so they can tell if something is missing or not.

E. I have seen a red steak delivered to someone before at Outback which means let's say the customer ordered their steak well done, that the server could have noticed the color difference as in someone's example “Steak cooked rare instead of well done ? It’s not your server’s fault, they didn’t cook it, it’s the kitchen’s fault.”

F. If something LOOKS burnt such as a piece of bread with the food and the person didn't order it burnt, my server is at fault for serving me that.

G. If my server forgets an item that an entree or appetizer comes with, that's their fault if they brought me my food without the item such as a side dish or ranch.

H. I have ordered at Outback my fries "lightly cooked" "Not overdone and yellow not brown." I have had their fries before cooked the way I like them before many of times before this time I am talking about. This stupid waitress decided to blame the kitchen staff for REALLY DARK BROWN FRIES as if she was blind or something and my husband even told me he could see that they were really dark. My husband may not agree with me on every subject of course, but with that, you could EASILY tell just by LOOKING that those fries were overdone and very dark. She said she put in the order correctly. I am thinking, SO? I wish I could have said "Are you blind?" That was HER FAULT she DECIDED TO SERVE ME THOSE FRIES THAT WEREN'T CORRECT. I noticed the mistake within 3 seconds of my food being placed in front of me.

You can tell in this picture above the bacon is very crispy just by simply LOOKING at it.

You can tell in this picture above the bacon is NOT CRISPY, just by simple LOOKING at the bacon.

While the server didn't "COOK" the bacon, it's obvious to the *SERVER'S* EYES that one batch of bacon is crispy and the other isn't to decide to BRING the food to the customer wrong or not. It's my server's fault if they decide to bring me the bacon that's like in picture 2 if I ordered it crispy that she or he didn't tell the cooks it was wrong and get them to cook the bacon more instead of SERVING it wrong. WHY bring it out only for the food to be sent back?

You can clearly see the fries are overdone in the picture above if the customer ordered them "NOT OVERDONE, lightly cooked."

In this picture above, you can see the fries don't appear overdone and the bacon is NOT CRISPY. If a customer asked for their bacon to be crispy, I would REFUSE to serve it and I would have enough CARING and COMMON SENSE to get that fixed **BEFORE** I brought it to the customer only to have the customer send it back or leave me a bad tip for not caring about their food.

My server's job isn't just to bring out what the kitchen staff gives them, it's also getting the order OBVIOUSLY correct to the table as much as possible in order to get that good tip. As someone said on a blog or forum “They just want to be tipped well and will do pretty much anything reasonable to get your money”, which that IS VERY REASONABLE to think OUR SERVERS ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT THEIR TIP TO GET THINGS RIGHT TO HAVE A BETTER TIP!!

Get what I am saying here? MOST of the mistakes happen due to either your server if they bring out the food or another server that doesn't compare the ticket to the food(assuming the order was put in correctly by the original server of course).

You also can notice if someone has wing sauce "On the side" vs. "On the wings" themselves. This isn't rocket science.

Most of the things that are wrong with the food can be caught by the server if they bring out the food, even if they didn't cook it. If it's another server, they can catch obvious errors on the ticket and menu(such as menu states the item comes with bbq sauce and the ticket doesn't say "no bbq sauce") if the ticket was correctly put in by the original server that took the order. Condiments(in bottles or on the side in containers) can always be offered to be brought out ahead of time REGARDLESS of WHO brings out the food to the table.

So most of the time when the food has something wrong with it, chances are, your server or another server could have caught the mistake before it got to you in most instances. I NEVER said ALL, but in most cases, it can be caught BEFORE bringing out the food(unless another server brings out the food with the ticket wrong), because then the original server that took the order is at fault for putting the order in incorrectly into the computer.

There are few rare cases where the food being wrong is the kitchen staff's fault such as raw food(such as raw chicken), slightly undercooked or overcooked food that you'd have to CUT into to know if it was under or overcooked, or anything the server cannot see with their eyes unless they were to TOUCH the food. Things such as a pickle under a bun the server can't notice unless they lift the bun, so unless they put the order in wrong, they wouldn't be at fault, but in general most food mistakes can be caught BEFORE bringing the food to the table.

What I am saying is, MOST mistakes ARE PREVENTABLE by the SERVER if they bring your order to you that they can NOTICE things wrong by comparing those written orders to the plates of food.

Once a waiter at Chili's said "The kitchen forgot" when I had ordered 2 sides of mayo and 1 side of mustard. The thing is, my waiter brought out the food, so NO, HE HE HE HE HE FORGOT, the kitchen staff didn't step out the kitchen to bring me my food and forget obvious missing containers from my plate that aren't covered up by anything. MY WAITER DID THOUGH!!

You walk in one room in your house with a plate of food, but forget the ranch. Even if your mom or significant other plated your food, which you even told her you wanted a side of ranch for your fries, but you bring it to another room. HOW IS THAT THEIR FAULT? It's YOUR FAULT YOU LEFT THE ROOM WITHOUT THE RANCH AND DIDN'T NOTICE IT SINCE IT'S SOMETHING OBVIOUS YOU DON'T HAVE TO *TOUCH* TO NOTICE THE MISTAKE!!

Even if he didn't bring out the food, that waiter could have prevented that type of thing from being forgotten since it needs no cooking to bring it out ahead of time. It is always the person bringing out the food that is at fault for any type of mistake that you don't have to TOUCH the food to notice the mistake, unless of course, the order was put in wrong by the original server that took the order with another server bringing out the food. Of course unless, the kitchen goofs up, making it correctly even if the ticket is wrong, but that's highly unlikely scenario.

I cannot believe you honestly think that the server is not at fault for most food mistakes. WE LIVED THROUGH THE "DUH" MISTAKES, SO WE CAN SEE WITH OUR EYES WHO WAS AT FAULT!!

We had a waiter once admitted he grabbed the wrong entrée from the kitchen. It was just my husband and I. This waiter not only admitted he didn't compare the WRITTEN ORDER with the entrées he was bringing out, but also we saw he had other entrées for another table that he didn't ONCE get his pad of paper out to see WHICH ENTRÉE WENT WITH WHICH TABLE!! So 2 times he could have caught his mistake, but didn't *****TRY HIS BEST AS HE SHOULD HAVE, because that's HIS JOB**!!

He admitted that he grabbed the wrong entrée from the kitchen. He brought my husband fried shrimp w/fries when he ordered crawfish au gratin w/baked potato. Those items look NOTHING A LIKE, but yet THAT WAITER WAS TOO LAZY AND UNCARING TO VERIFY *WHAT* HE WAS BRINGING US!! We still left him 17% BTW, just to let you know since he profusely apologized TWICE and FIXED THE SITUATION IMMEDIATELY just about. We honestly shouldn’t have though, because that really didn't make him LEARN anything. If I had to do it all over again, I would have tipped 13%. It's because since that happened(a number of years ago, maybe like 4), me and my husband have had some terrible experiences. We have had good ones too of course, but the servers need to LEARN that they can't just hand you ANYTHING like McDonald's cashiers do. They are there to EARN a tip, NOT to just hand you anything.

It's very rare that it's not the server's fault. Things like if I order no pickles if you took my order and brought out my food, which there are some pickles under a bun that you'd have to lift it to see it, unless you admitted putting in the order wrong, I will assume it's the kitchen staff that is at fault and probably is.

Things like raw chicken tenders aren't the fault of the server.

A slightly over or undercooked steak if the order was put in correctly is not the server's fault.

Also, some people assume things as well, that end up being wrong.

If another server brings out a wrong side dish or if they are missing items other than condiments, no it's not the server's fault if they put in the order correctly, but it still counts against the tip. It's part of the service.

Why also is it when you say "no pickles" or "ONLY lettuce and onions", they still have a pickle on the plate? WHY you servers can't understand that if the customer states they don't want pickles, that means on the plate, because otherwise, they'd specifically state they would have wanted it "ON THE SIDE." Think about it. WHY do I keep having servers bring me some pickles on the plate when I ordered no pickles? NO SERVERS ARE BLIND OR ILLITERATE that they cannot determine any of the obvious errors that don't have to be touched to notice the mistakes or mistake.

Quote:
So for example, they put the tomatos in.. I'm not going to open your burger just to check unless you want my hands all over your food.
I agree, but sometimes a burger is *OPEN-FACED*, so you can clearly *SEE* the tomatoes without touching the food and sometimes the (lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and pickles on the side of the plate that you can clearly *SEE* without touching the food.

Quote:
I work as a server and sometimes when I put sauce on the side, the cooks ignore it and tell me to take it anyways and see if they say anything. So yeah... not always the servers fault
YOU AREN'T BLIND or ILLITERATE if you bring me my food, ARE YOU???

I have had NUMEROUS servers that have brought my condiments ********AHEAD OF TIME******* REGARDLESS of WHO brings out the food to me.

Sauces on the side are ***********ALWAYS*************** THE SERVER'S FAULT!

In the picture below, you me to tell me you can't *********SEE********** if the sauce is on the side or not? Even if let's say they had some sauce in the food, unless it is completely covered up, if there's not a container of sauce on the side, something should go off in your head telling you DUH, something is wrong that at least the ranch is missing if it's not there, understand? Also, let's say it looks like that below, you may see some in the open areas of the wrap. If not, that would be the only way if you put in the order right that you weren't at fault if you couldn't *SEE* the ranch without touching the food and there was a container of ranch on the side. In the picture, you can clearly also see the fries cooked kind of overdone, so if the customer ordered it not overdone, that's another thing that I would not just serve it wrong.

MOST of the time, it *IS* the server's fault for food errors. PLEASE BE HONEST! Even if another server runs the food, that ranch you could have brought out ahead of time if it ended up not being there on the plate.

If, let's say, Jane Doe orders onion rings for her side and the above fries come out. You are her server, but can't run her food due to taking an order at the time. Another server runs it, but doesn't read the ticket. While that's not your fault since it's a cooked side dish that wouldn't be brought out ahead of time, it's still counts against the tip since that person was part of the service. That's not a kitchen staff error if you put in the order right, that's the person that ran the food that didn't either A. notice it or more likely, B. didn't read the ticket or kitchen computer screen order. That person that ran the food is at fault, but the tip will and should still be altered, because anyone at your table is a part of service. The kitchen staff did not mess up. While let's say the kitchen staff didn't read the ticket all the way, the fries weren't supposed to get to the customer's table. The person that ran the food should have told them it wasn't correct and to correct the error. If you would have ran the food, it's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to have noticed the wrong side dish is on the plate from your WRITTEN ORDER.

Just look at this former waiter below. He AGREES with me, because it *IS* the GOD'S HONEST TRUTH and you know it:

http://slickdeals.net/e/600104-thoug...11#commentsBox

Demosthenes9 said:
"
Absolutely right. As a waiter, it was ultimately my responsibility to ensure that EVERYTHING was correct with your food. Cooks would plate up entrees and the expediter would "build tickets" by collecting the correct entrees, adding the side items, and placing the plates on a tray to complete the order. (at least that's how it worked just about everywhere I have been). At that point, the waiter SHOULD check each plate to see that the order is correct to include having the correct side items. Waiter should also make sure that the food is still hot and didn't "die in the window" while waiting for the order to be filled. Lastly, a waiter who actually knows what he is doing can simply look at your steak and tell with some accuracy whether it is cooked correctly or not. (There are of course exceptions where steaks are "borderline", like right between medium rare and medium, or between medium and mid well.) I have had any number of cooks yell at me because I told them to recook a steak before I even took it to the table. It doesn't take a genius to see a somewhat burnt steak sitting on a plate and to figure out that it ISN'T medium rare as ordered.) The funny thing is, if waiters took the time to pay attention to the little details like the one's Spring mentioned, they would actually have MORE time on their hands to take care of customers. Afterall, it takes maybe 30 seconds to check over an order and make sure it's correct. Failure to do so means that you now have to go all the way back to the kitchen, argue with a cook, get a replacement side item, then carry it back out to the table. That time could have been better spent taking care of other tables instead."
Springs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:19 AM   #122
Tcoat

Holy crap^^^^^ (Can't quote)

Well now @Springs1 if you are this passionate on your first ever post about who's fault it is if the food is wrong I can't wait to see your participation in something like a stance or turbo debate!
Cmorris8848 (01-07-2016), RobertPaulson (01-07-2016), soulreapersteve (01-08-2016), Summerwolf (01-07-2016), Tectoniic (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #123
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
That was a novel I didn't read. Thanks Ulysses.... your food opinion is well documented.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Cmorris8848 (01-07-2016), soulreapersteve (01-08-2016), Tcoat (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #124
904FRSlow

Drives: '13 FR-S Whiteout
Not going to quote because I skimmed quickly but overall, it depends on the situation. With my experience, usually the cooks mess up more than I do
904FRSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #125
TheVoiceOfReason

Drives: BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904FRSlow View Post
Not going to quote because I skimmed quickly but overall, it depends on the situation. With my experience, usually the cooks mess up more than I do
I think their point was even though the cook messed up, it should be the server's responsibility to catch it. Putting the fault back on the server. I agree to the extent that they should catch the wrong side dish, but I don't expect a server to inspect my bacon and fries for the perfect level of doneness.

Even if I ended up with the wrong side dish, it's no big deal as long as they don't try to tell me it's what I ordered.
TheVoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #126
ButeraFRS

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVoiceOfReason View Post
I think their point was even though the cook messed up, it should be the server's responsibility to catch it.
Or even an expo if the restaurant is big and busy enough to need one
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
RobertPaulson (01-07-2016)

Tags
don't skimp on the pate, just the tip, oh man, tag b4 lock