follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: How many 86 owners are planning on getting the Supra?
I'm definitely getting one 32 12.17%
I might get one if they offer a MT 100 38.02%
No, not me. 131 49.81%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #1471
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Does the supra even matter anymore after the C8 was announced?
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
RayRay88 (07-31-2019), RFB (07-31-2019), xdavidx (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #1472
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I like the looks of the supra more, and feel it will get some aesthetic redos making it better here in the next 2yrs or so, and hopefully a manual.

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:13 PM   #1473
LotsaMiles

Drives: Scion FR-s, xB, iA, Silverado Z71 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Honestly I'm puzzled why they chose Michelin Pilot Super Sports as the OEM tire.

An excellent tire! However, Michelin started phasing it out over a year ago. Most tires sizes are no longer available.
I've had 8 sets of tires on my FR-S. The PSS were my favorites. They were not quite as grippy on dry pavement as the Bridgestone RE11 A's, but darned close. However, their wet surface traction was simply amazing!

I came here to say that maybe they should put the Michelin's on that car, but it turns out they already do. So I don't think it's the tires, unless you want to put drag racing specific tires on it. But is that really the point of a sports car? Muscle car, maybe, but not sports car.
LotsaMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:33 PM   #1474
DuMa

Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
Does the supra even matter anymore after the C8 was announced?
Its a matter of taste. Supra will still sell on name alone and tuning ability.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:41 PM   #1475
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa View Post
Its a matter of taste. Supra will still sell on name alone and tuning ability.

Other than the name and marketing/branding of Bavarian Toyota Supra, I find it hard to see how these cars can compete, the C8 is an animal with over a second and some change faster than the supra 0-60. For what 10k more (give or take dealers marking it up).

I'm curious to hear the arguments as to why one would opt for a Supra over the C8
(also if it isn't obvious, I'm a fan of the new C8, If I let enough time pass and gather enough pennies I hope to buy one some day)

This article sums up my post/question: https://carbuzz.com/features/can-any...vette-on-value
Old 07-30-2019, 03:54 PM   #1476
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
The tires were probably chosen for balance, and long before the car was actually released to the public. The worst that happens is that when the tires are replaced, you buy something different.

This isn't surprising, or new - Manufacturers would be much worse off if they provided a 200tw tire or similar with poor rain performance. "SUPRA DEATHTRAP - TOYOTA LAWSUIT OVER KNOWINGLY EQUIPPING VEHICLE WITH TIRES THAT CAN'T BE USED IN RAIN" would be the headlines.

Think of the richies that buy it and just drive it to look good. Anyone who wants more grip can buy it. Don't make people buy new tires for more DD duty
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (07-30-2019), Spuds (07-31-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #1477
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Other than the name and marketing/branding of Bavarian Toyota Supra, I find it hard to see how these cars can compete, the C8 is an animal with over a second and some change faster than the supra 0-60. For what 10k more (give or take dealers marking it up).

I'm curious to hear the arguments as to why one would opt for a Supra over the C8
(also if it isn't obvious, I'm a fan of the new C8, If I let enough time pass and gather enough pennies I hope to buy one some day)

This article sums up my post/question: https://carbuzz.com/features/can-any...vette-on-value

I agree and I've never liked corvettes. I can't see this new Zupra selling any better than what it is.. a Z4 and that car was selling so bad they were about to cancel it if not for this marketing stunt. If people were going to be supra impressed by it, they have had 15 years already to do so. If nothing in the original Z4ormula made it a hot seller, making it a hardtop and putting a less prestigious badge on it won't change that. At least not after the first month or two sales to ignorant rich kids run out.

The corvette on the other hand has not had any trouble selling sufficient quantities and now they are offering a much better version for the same money. Plus, the chevrolet will be much more reliable than the toyota. *wtf has happened to the world that I just said that with a straight face*
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xdavidx For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #1478
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

I'm curious to hear the arguments as to why one would opt for a Supra over the C8 (also if it isn't obvious, I'm a fan of the new C8, If I let enough time pass and gather enough pennies I hope to buy one some day)
I think you answered your own question with "$10K more". Would I spend the difference for the C8 over the Supra, yes (well to be fair I wouldn't buy the Supra in the first place). Not everyone can/will though.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:28 PM   #1479
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I think you answered your own question with "$10K more". Would I spend the difference for the C8 over the Supra, yes (well to be fair I wouldn't buy the Supra in the first place). Not everyone can/will though.

That is a totally valid reason. However I think that 10k in the 50k-60k price range is not as big a deal and you get a lot more car for the price.

I'm a huge sucker for that mid engine window where you can see the top of the engine. Also that targa top. C8 just oozes cool to me, other than the strange row of climate controls in that car I can't think of anything I don't really like.

vs the supra which I'm just not on board with, I don't think it has that cool factor.
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-31-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 04:36 PM   #1480
DuMa

Drives: LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Im not a fan of either cars FYI because of lack of manual options. However its still way early because most people will want to at least drive the cars before deciding.

On paper, C8 wins usually but not everyone's tastes are the same. Some of us dont care for the extra power and want it to look or drive better (jury is still out on that).
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:55 PM   #1481
davesrave

Drives: 2014 Boxster S; 2015 Macan S
The corvette on the other hand has not had any trouble selling sufficient quantities and now they are offering a much better version for the same money. Plus, the chevrolet will be much more reliable than the toyota. *wtf has happened to the world that I just said that with a straight face*

Reliability is the reason I’d consider a Supra before the C8. What mid engine car is low maintenance/low repair cost? None. I don’t see that changing. The C8 has a new engine and transmission. Chevy’s reliability is going to be put to the test. Over the long haul, maintenance, repair, and resale value will favor the Supra.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ined-corvette/

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0mFoNpVZ5c[/ame]
davesrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:06 PM   #1482
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If it was an actual toyota, I'd agree... but

maintenance, repair, and resale on a bmw z4 has been worse than a corvette

It's like the guy making a thread asking if the 86 will have the reliability of the old toyota sportcars from the 90s. Why would it? It's a subaru. It will have the reliability of a subaru.

Not sure if you've owned one of the modern bmw turbo cars, but I've had a few and can assure you they are more expensive all around than a corvette.
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xdavidx For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-31-2019), maslin (07-30-2019), RFB (07-31-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 06:22 PM   #1483
davesrave

Drives: 2014 Boxster S; 2015 Macan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
If it was an actual toyota, I'd agree... but

maintenance, repair, and resale on a bmw z4 has been worse than a corvette

It's like the guy making a thread asking if the 86 will have the reliability of the old toyota sportcars from the 90s. Why would it? It's a subaru. It will have the reliability of a subaru.

Not sure if you've owned one of the modern bmw turbo cars, but I've had a few and can assure you they are more expensive all around than a corvette.
My car has been more reliable than most subarus, but that's a sample of one of each. I've not owned a modern BMW either, but I'd like to think that with Toyota's inputs it will be the most reliable BMW today, just like the 86 is Subaru's most reliable vehicle.
davesrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:23 PM   #1484
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesrave View Post

Reliability is the reason I’d consider a Supra before the C8. What mid engine car is low maintenance/low repair cost? None. I don’t see that changing. The C8 has a new engine and transmission. Chevy’s reliability is going to be put to the test. Over the long haul, maintenance, repair, and resale value will favor the Supra.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ined-corvette/

Corvette is the one car GM is sure to make sure it shines in every area. It bucks every trend when it comes to reliability and every other metric really. Nothing is perfect, but I'd buy a Corvette over any other GM car.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote