follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #29
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
.............. actual name of B.M.W. pronunciation wise, which is Bavarian Motor Works.
Ill fix that for YOU -

"BMW is defined as an acronym for Bayerische Motoren Werke AG"

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
xdavidx (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #30
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Ill fix that for YOU -

"BMW is defined as an acronym for Bayerische Motoren Werke AG"

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #31
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Although an interesting fact, this still does not prove that Bimmer or Beemer are anything more than an alternate unofficial name used to refer to BMW as a whole, despite which vehicle type it is being applied to.
Not making any point here, just clarifying

Per:

https://bimmeramerica.com/history-of-bmw

Bimmer vs Beamer vs Beemer

To put it simply, BMW automobiles are called Bimmers. BMW motorcycles are called Beemers (or Beamers).
The term Beemer was first used with motorcycles. The legend goes that when British bikes were popular and the company baa was a well-known manufacturer, riders would often refer to them as Beezers, sort of a way to say BSA as a word. BMW riders then co-opted the word Beemer, as a way of saying BMW as a word. Since BMW manufactured motorcycles well before their automobiles became popular, whenever the word Beemer was said, it was in reference to their motorcycles.
For an unknown reason, when BMW automobiles came about, people started referring to them as Bimmers. Although it doesn't make much sense why the originators didn't just call all BMW products Beemers, the names were unofficially designated back in the 40's and 50's, and it doesn't seem right to argue with half a century of tradition.

Per:

https://bimmertips.com/whats-difference-bimmer-beemer/

Everyone knows a BMW is, mostly associated with a car, motorcycle or maybe even a vintage aircraft engine. Within the BMW community the terms Bimmer and Beemer (or Beamer) are commonly thrown around as slang. But do the two slang words mean the same thing? Where did these words come from and what do they mean? The term Beemer has a background worth learning to avoid confusing looks from BMW enthusiasts at your next local meet. BMW manufactured motorcycles since 1923, a few years before BMW's first manufactured automobile in 1928. A "Beamer" or "Beemer" is accepted as the default slang term for a BMW motorcycle. The pronunciation is straight forward, Beam-Mer. The origin of this slang word has its roots in motorcycle racing in the 1930's with a British motorcycle manufacturer called BSA (Birmingham Small Arms Company). This company dominated the racing circuit and around the track, these motorcycles were simply called Beezers for short. The term results from a simple way to pronounce BSA as if it were a full word instead of an acronym. Once BMW motorcycles started to gain popularity and introduce itself in the world of motorcycle racing the same form of pronunciation was used for the BMW acronym, thus creating the word Beemer.
It took a lot longer for BMW automobiles to gain popularity to where society created its own slang word. However, the term "Bimmer" (pronounced Bim-Mer) is accepted as the default term for a BMW automobile with no real history of origin. The pronunciation is Bim-Mer. Perhaps the term was created specifically to differentiate BMW automobiles from BMW motorcycles. Whatever the reason, since Beemer has its roots in motorcycle racing Beemer is accepted as the default term for BMW motorcycles and Bimmer is the default term for the BMW automobile.
Now you know the history, you can be the snob at BMW meets to correct everyone or be the one to go around and educate people of the difference.

Last edited by xdavidx; 08-14-2019 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Added additional source
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xdavidx For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #32
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Someone wake me up when Acura brings back the Integra.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
gymratter (05-21-2021), Jordanwolf (08-14-2019), Leonardo (08-14-2019), WolfpackS2k (08-16-2019), xdavidx (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #33
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
Not making any point here, just clarifying

Per:

https://bimmeramerica.com/history-of-bmw

Bimmer vs Beamer vs Beemer

To put it simply, BMW automobiles are called Bimmers. BMW motorcycles are called Beemers (or Beamers).
The term Beemer was first used with motorcycles. The legend goes that when British bikes were popular and the company baa was a well-known manufacturer, riders would often refer to them as Beezers, sort of a way to say BSA as a word. BMW riders then co-opted the word Beemer, as a way of saying BMW as a word. Since BMW manufactured motorcycles well before their automobiles became popular, whenever the word Beemer was said, it was in reference to their motorcycles.
For an unknown reason, when BMW automobiles came about, people started referring to them as Bimmers. Although it doesn't make much sense why the originators didn't just call all BMW products Beemers, the names were unofficially designated back in the 40's and 50's, and it doesn't seem right to argue with half a century of tradition.

Per:

https://bimmertips.com/whats-difference-bimmer-beemer/

Everyone knows a BMW is, mostly associated with a car, motorcycle or maybe even a vintage aircraft engine. Within the BMW community the terms Bimmer and Beemer (or Beamer) are commonly thrown around as slang. But do the two slang words mean the same thing? Where did these words come from and what do they mean? The term Beemer has a background worth learning to avoid confusing looks from BMW enthusiasts at your next local meet. BMW manufactured motorcycles since 1923, a few years before BMW's first manufactured automobile in 1928. A "Beamer" or "Beemer" is accepted as the default slang term for a BMW motorcycle. The pronunciation is straight forward, Beam-Mer. The origin of this slang word has its roots in motorcycle racing in the 1930's with a British motorcycle manufacturer called BSA (Birmingham Small Arms Company). This company dominated the racing circuit and around the track, these motorcycles were simply called Beezers for short. The term results from a simple way to pronounce BSA as if it were a full word instead of an acronym. Once BMW motorcycles started to gain popularity and introduce itself in the world of motorcycle racing the same form of pronunciation was used for the BMW acronym, thus creating the word Beemer.
It took a lot longer for BMW automobiles to gain popularity to where society created its own slang word. However, the term "Bimmer" (pronounced Bim-Mer) is accepted as the default term for a BMW automobile with no real history of origin. The pronunciation is Bim-Mer. Perhaps the term was created specifically to differentiate BMW automobiles from BMW motorcycles. Whatever the reason, since Beemer has its roots in motorcycle racing Beemer is accepted as the default term for BMW motorcycles and Bimmer is the default term for the BMW automobile.
Now you know the history, you can be the snob at BMW meets to correct everyone or be the one to go around and educate people of the difference.
I read these earlier. These only prove that they were indeed slang terms, as I said earlier and in contradiction to your earlier statement.

My original comment was quite frivolous though.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #34
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Someone wake me up when Acura brings back the Integra.
Dude, this is kinda why I flipped... If we see something even close to an Integra Type-S/R pop up again I would go crazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 04:36 PM   #35
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Dude, this is kinda why I flipped... If we see something even close to an Integra Type-S/R pop up again I would go crazy.
It will probably be made i conjunction with KIA or Saub or some other company.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #36
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It will probably be made i conjunction with KIA or Saub or some other company.
I cry.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #37
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
The only hope for an integra revival is an Acura ILX based on the current gen civic type R
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #38
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
The only hope for an integra revival is an Acura ILX based on the current gen civic type R
I guess I'll have to stay content with my 95 GSR until then.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (08-16-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #39
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Quote:
I cry.

This we can all agree on...

I would kill for an integra again, but it will likely be a kia rio with an acura integra badge and half of the internet will argue it was codeveloped and therefore it's really an integra... even though it's a turd sandwhich.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #40
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Quote:
I read these earlier. These only prove that they were indeed slang terms, as I said earlier and in contradiction to your earlier statement.

This is why I posted it. My memory is shit and my original statement was ~meh.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:59 PM   #41
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
This we can all agree on...

I would kill for an integra again, but it will likely be a kia rio with an acura integra badge and half of the internet will argue it was codeveloped and therefore it's really an integra... even though it's a turd sandwhich.
Just Type-R it, people will buy it.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #42
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Quote:
Just Type-R it, people will buy it.

Then they will give it a $65k sticker price and dealers will upcharge $20k more and Acura will use it's poor sales as justification to make more crossover suvs. Consumers just don't want sports cars anymore

Introducing the new CR-V A S Spec