follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #15
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
This is a clutch fork issue in my opinion.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...104963&page=11

Specifically this post: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=154

We've been running the SB8-XTSS (lightweight flywheel) for 6k miles now at near 400whp without any lockout issues. Car shifts great actually. But we use our stronger clutch fork. The OEM unit is known to be weak with stronger than OEM pressure plates.

Thanks,
Eric
Which is why I ordered your clutch fork and pivot a month ago. Hoping this solves the issue!
Old 02-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #16
BoostedWrbBrz

Drives: 2014 Wrb Brz limited 6m
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've since gotten my money back and drove the car to and from Florida with the ACT clutch with ZERO issues. 4k+ miles of happy driving
BoostedWrbBrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:36 AM   #17
D-VO

Drives: Whiteout FR-S, Evo 8 RS
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I've got the comp clutch as well and I'm also having this problem. Weird thing is if I hold the clutch pedal down for 4 -5 seconds during a stop and it shifts fine. If there were an issue with the slave or master cylinders it should get worse when holding the pedal down. I think

Last edited by D-VO; 06-05-2017 at 10:07 AM.
D-VO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D-VO For This Useful Post:
celek (06-06-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #18
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
For posterity -- there's so many GOOD clutches for these cars that there's no need to bother with companies like Comp, Spec, Southbin etc

I'm using an ORC 400 and it's been amazing since day 1. Dead quiet, smooth, and it will hold more power than I will ever make.
The Following User Says Thank You to empower-auto For This Useful Post:
D-VO (06-26-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #19
celek
Resident Gear Head

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
As Eric stated could be a clutch fork issue.
I also think that inconsistency on disc thickness will vary from one manufacture to the next.
Lock out also commonly happens with incorrect adjustments on clutches after install. Pushing the pedal down and the difference from OE pressure plate and disc can vary to another manufacture. If you are pressing the pedal down and the clutch is not fully disengaging the friction surface is still spinning resulting in not being able to transition the collar into the synchros of the next gear
Like @D-VO said
Old 06-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #20
D-VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by celek View Post
As Eric stated could be a clutch fork issue.
I also think that inconsistency on disc thickness will vary from one manufacture to the next.
Lock out also commonly happens with incorrect adjustments on clutches after install. Pushing the pedal down and the difference from OE pressure plate and disc can vary to another manufacture. If you are pressing the pedal down and the clutch is not fully disengaging the friction surface is still spinning resulting in not being able to transition the collar into the synchros of the next gear
Like @D-VO said
I have the Velox fork on mine, and I've also incrementally adjusted the clutch pedal 1/4 turns from the floor to the roof all with the same return; lock out from a stationary position only after driving for a while. I would think if it were an adjustment issue, lockout would be an issue while driving as well no?
Old 06-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #21
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-VO View Post
I have the Velox fork on mine, and I've also incrementally adjusted the clutch pedal 1/4 turns from the floor to the roof all with the same return; lock out from a stationary position only after driving for a while. I would think if it were an adjustment issue, lockout would be an issue while driving as well no?
Not necessarily, as the RPM drop from the previous gear and the car is rolling, gear selection could become easier. This is still bad on your transmission because it will overwork your synchro due to fighting the clutch drag.

Those of you who have a lockout in first, have you tried disengaging and quickly engaging clutch again while trying to go into first? Have you guys ensured that the clutch is indeed dragging?

If you're running an upgraded clutch fork, you've tried adjusting the friction point, and the clutch is still dragging, I would speak with the clutch manufacturer. Perhaps something within the clutch is going on?

I hope this helps some,
Eric
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VerusEric For This Useful Post:
celek (06-10-2017), D-VO (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #22
D-VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloxEric View Post
Not necessarily, as the RPM drop from the previous gear and the car is rolling, gear selection could become easier. This is still bad on your transmission because it will overwork your synchro due to fighting the clutch drag.

Those of you who have a lockout in first, have you tried disengaging and quickly engaging clutch again while trying to go into first? Have you guys ensured that the clutch is indeed dragging?

If you're running an upgraded clutch fork, you've tried adjusting the friction point, and the clutch is still dragging, I would speak with the clutch manufacturer. Perhaps something within the clutch is going on?

I hope this helps some,
Eric
Thanks Eric. Comp is saying there's something wrong with my slave or master cylinder, but I'm pretty sure I saw another post where someone tried the same thing but that didn't help. Also, I tried disengage re-engage 1st gear, it sticks a bit while re-engaging.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #23
FaDuck

Drives: 2014 UltraMarine FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
After I had my clutch installed, I was having issues with going into 1st, and even 2nd sometimes. It turned out to be the reverse lockout plate. The guy who did the install put the plate back in cock eyed, so the stick was slightly hitting the plate and wouldnt allow it to slip perfectly into gear.
FaDuck is offline   Reply With Quote