follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #729
Sean K.

Drives: 2008 Lotus Elise SC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnOne View Post
Can't speak for Toyota, but Scion clearly states 60K or 60 months.

http://a230.g.akamai.net/7/230/83646...ranty_2013.pdf

Powertrain Warranty
This warranty covers repairs needed to
correct defects in materials or
workmanship of any component listed
in the next two columns and supplied
by Scion, subject to the exceptions
indicated under “What Is Not Covered”
on pages 13-14.
Coverage is for 60 months or
60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
As I said, someone stated that Toyota had 100K warranty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goincarcrazy View Post
As far as the warranty goes, Toyota's come with a 5yr 100K powertrain warranty anyway, so if that's all you were getting the added warranty for, you can eliminate that.
Sean K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #730
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
I don't have my paperwork yet. Do you have the FRS? Look at yours. Maybe Toyota's warranty is different than Subaru's. Someone stated Toyota had a 100K mile warranty on powertrain....Subie's was only 60K.

The tone of your posts is that of (yet another self-appointed) expert, so I'll make this easy for you. Show me any powertrain warranty that excludes the ECU.

If you ain't bathed in oil, you may be correct. If not . . . .
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #731
Alienate

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
UPDATE: My Scion of America Official Reps name is "LISA". Anyone else have her? She says she will look into why my ECU Replacement has a ETA of OCT 30. She kind of admitted there are known problems being worked on and seemed sympathetic to my request for an extended warranty.
She has promised me an update by Friday.
Alienate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alienate For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (09-25-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #732
Sean K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
The tone of your posts is that of (yet another self-appointed) expert, so I'll make this easy for you. Show me any powertrain warranty that excludes the ECU.

I just did.....or did you NOT click the link to Subaru's website?

How 'bout Dodge: http://www.dodge.com/en/warranty/

Nope, ECU isn't listed there either.

Chevy: http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty.html

Engine
Engine coverage includes all internally lubricated parts, engine oil cooling hoses, and lines. Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (e.g., Active Fuel Management valve, lifter and oil manifold) cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, turbocharger, and supercharger. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval. Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line), as well as the Engine/ Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming.
- For trucks equipped with a 6.6L Duramax diesel engine, the diesel engine, except those items listed under “What Is Not Covered” later in this section, is covered for 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

See, I was just using a funny colloquialism when I used "ain't in an oil bath"...that you mistakenly took as condescending.

But now you've pretty much proven you're the one looking for an argument. I am most certainly NOT an expert on these vehicles in the slightest. I apologize if I came off that way.

Looks to me from what TurnOne posted that the ECU is indeed covered on the Scion FRS....However, until I see more specific detail on Subaru's warranty, I'm not comfortable making that same conclusion about it.

My apologies for coming across as condescending....what I said was meant to be funny.

Sean
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sean K. For This Useful Post:
Marrk (09-24-2012), sajonf (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #733
sajonf

Drives: 13 Scion FR-S, 12 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post

I was surprised to see the ECU was covered under the power train warranty. Here is an example of one that doesn't.

GMs 5 year 100,000 mile power train warranty specifically states it is not covered.

http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty.html
sajonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:19 AM   #734
FLASCH

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienate View Post
UPDATE: My Scion of America Official Reps name is "LISA". Anyone else have her? She says she will look into why my ECU Replacement has a ETA of OCT 30. She kind of admitted there are known problems being worked on and seemed sympathetic to my request for an extended warranty.
I got Lisa. I live in San Francisco. She is supposed to call me back tomorrow. My car has been in the shop for 2.5 weeks now. I'll let you know what she says. I asking for monthly payments, extended warranty and some TRD parts.
FLASCH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLASCH For This Useful Post:
Alienate (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 05:12 AM   #735
czar07

Drives: '97 RSP JZZ30 GT-T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I believe there is a power-train warranty and a "general" warranty covering everything else.

Germans>Japanese>Italians>Americans. Unless its a Corvette.
czar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #736
Alienate

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASCH View Post
I got Lisa. I live in San Francisco. She is supposed to call me back tomorrow. My car has been in the shop for 2.5 weeks now. I'll let you know what she says. I asking for monthly payments, extended warranty and some TRD parts.
Thanks Flasch, I'm in Reno, and since I paid Cash for the car, payments aren't an option. But I do want an extended warranty and was thinking about that TRD Exhaust system they just released.
I'll post any news/update info I get.

BTW, I think we should all start naming our Reps, and sharing what they say.
All these cases are "handled on a case by case basis" so we should all know what DEALS are being made by whom, and why.

I am gonna see how I can put the word "LISA" in my Info area.
Alienate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alienate For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (09-26-2012), Marrk (09-26-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #737
jesperswe

Drives: GT86
Well today they changed my cam sprocket and ocv. Now they are waiting for a gasket berfore it's "fixed". I have my doubts but we'll see on friday when they said the car be ready.
jesperswe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jesperswe For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (09-26-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #738
Wcmarshall

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Garage
CEL - Code P0017

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
Call scion and get a case started. In every case so far scion is covering a loner while the car is waiting for parts. The generall consensus is you shouldn't be driving the car.
Just got back from the Scion dealer here in Houston area after code cleared itself. No issue found other than the history of the code being thrown out on Sunday. Cleared by itself 24 hours later. Car has been running fine for last 24 hours and of course as a pull into parking lot at work after leaving the dealer the rough idle (400rpm) happeans again. No CEL yet but I assume its only a matter of time.

Question I have is why wouldn't it be ok to drive until the approved TSB is being finalized. Is there actual knowledge out there that driving the cars with this issue are susceptible to further engine damage is the comment above just one of "nobody knows so err on the side of caution" which I can respect.

Ward
Pearland, TX
2013 Asphalt FRS
22xx miles
Wcmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wcmarshall For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #739
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcmarshall View Post
Just got back from the Scion dealer here in Houston area after code cleared itself. No issue found other than the history of the code being thrown out on Sunday. Cleared by itself 24 hours later. Car has been running fine for last 24 hours and of course as a pull into parking lot at work after leaving the dealer the rough idle (400rpm) happeans again. No CEL yet but I assume its only a matter of time.

Question I have is why wouldn't it be ok to drive until the approved TSB is being finalized. Is there actual knowledge out there that driving the cars with this issue are susceptible to further engine damage is the comment above just one of "nobody knows so err on the side of caution" which I can respect.

Ward
Pearland, TX
2013 Asphalt FRS
22xx miles
Honestly it's erroring on the side of caution. My car actually popped the code twice and both times there was a dramatic loss of power. I think what happens depends on which cam gear that's failed and in what state it's failed ("locked", timing advanced, timing redtarded).

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #740
TurnOne

Drives: BRZ Ltd. WR Blue 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcmarshall View Post

Ward
Pearland, TX
2013 Asphalt FRS
22xx miles
Caution as mentioned. Car isn't any fun to drive if I can't turn off TC.
Longer it sits in the shop, the more options and leverage you have in regards to Lemon laws in your state and compensation from Scion.
TurnOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurnOne For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #741
KingRohan

Drives: BRZ Sport Tech 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450hp/tonne View Post
I'm not trying to cover anything and don't see it as damaging, just overly technical. The warranty provided covers repairing the vehicle (which can take time to get the parts needed), but not disclosure of all corporate information to customers.

Once a global standard repair method is developed, I'm sure a clear explanation will be provided to dealers needing to perform repairs. Until then, information shared may not apply to everyone and create confusion.

Just drive your car the way it was intended and have fun, knowing that any car with the problem will be fixed as quickly as possible. Given time, the situation may become proactive, but until then you can't damage the car unless you ignore the CEL.
This fellow mentioned this in this last paragraph. He has some inside knowledge on this issue.
KingRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #742
Sean K.

Well, I don't know exactly how I feel about it at this point, but the dealer in CA backed out and sold the car there before shipping it to my dealer in AZ. I think they probably got their MSRP +$7K and it made the deal to sweet to pass up.

I'm not sure if we'll be putting in an order for a 2014 BRZ at this point (hoping the CEL issue is figured out by then) or just going with the STI. The dealer says he's going to give us a really good "deal" on the STI for our trouble. We'll see. I think my wife's heart is set on the BRZ.....

Like I said, not sure how I feel about it. I love the look of the BRZ, but the power in the STI couldn't with AWD for our planned move to CO are appealing....too bad the STI is so fugly.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Take care and best wishes,
Sean